Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Dealing with cold callers

http://news.sky.com/story/1003497/vi...aller-to-court
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2012 22:04, Hugh - in either England or Spain wrote:
http://news.sky.com/story/1003497/vi...aller-to-court

Amazing coincidence - the chap did this by using telephone recording kit
- and "Mr Herman, who works in the telephone industry selling
call-recording equipment, said his action was a last resort after asking
the Information Commissioner and the Telephone Preference Service for help."

Of course, he has no interest in getting this story propagated, does he?

In that sense, is his spammy story much better than the spamming gits he
complained at?

Maybe I am wrong - but certainly has a whiff...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 22:18:00 +0100, polygonum
wrote:

On 27/10/2012 22:04, Hugh - in either England or Spain wrote:
http://news.sky.com/story/1003497/vi...aller-to-court

Amazing coincidence - the chap did this by using telephone recording kit
- and "Mr Herman, who works in the telephone industry selling
call-recording equipment, said his action was a last resort after asking
the Information Commissioner and the Telephone Preference Service for help."

Of course, he has no interest in getting this story propagated, does he?

In that sense, is his spammy story much better than the spamming gits he
complained at?

Maybe I am wrong - but certainly has a whiff...

I agree about his agenda and probable motivation, but to correlate his
story being published in the press and on TV with a cold calling
operation is a strange way of looking at it.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 27/10/2012 22:04, Hugh - in either England or Spain wrote:
http://news.sky.com/story/1003497/vi...aller-to-court

Amazing coincidence - the chap did this by using telephone recording kit
- and "Mr Herman, who works in the telephone industry selling
call-recording equipment, said his action was a last resort after asking
the Information Commissioner and the Telephone Preference Service for help."

Of course, he has no interest in getting this story propagated, does he?

In that sense, is his spammy story much better than the spamming gits he
complained at?

Maybe I am wrong - but certainly has a whiff...

I agree about his agenda and probable motivation, but to correlate his
story being published in the press and on TV with a cold calling
operation is a strange way of looking at it.

The guy obviously has an agenda but it shows it can be done - if you can
identify the entity at the other end of the line and they have any money

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Hugh - in either England or
Spain writes
wrote:

On 27/10/2012 22:04, Hugh - in either England or Spain wrote:

http://news.sky.com/story/1003497/vi...ook-cold-calle
r-to-court

Amazing coincidence - the chap did this by using telephone recording kit
- and "Mr Herman, who works in the telephone industry selling
call-recording equipment, said his action was a last resort after asking
the Information Commissioner and the Telephone Preference Service for help."

Of course, he has no interest in getting this story propagated, does he?

In that sense, is his spammy story much better than the spamming gits he
complained at?

Maybe I am wrong - but certainly has a whiff...

I agree about his agenda and probable motivation, but to correlate his
story being published in the press and on TV with a cold calling
operation is a strange way of looking at it.

The guy obviously has an agenda but it shows it can be done - if you
can identify the entity at the other end of the line and they have any
money

I heard him interviewed on radio and he admitted that the publicity
might be good for his business (my words).

Perhaps the future is brr,,, brr,, hello..... background hubbub of call
centre voices... is that Mr. ???? Just a moment while I switch on the
recorder...click:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2012 23:09, Graham. wrote:

I agree about his agenda and probable motivation, but to correlate his
story being published in the press and on TV with a cold calling
operation is a strange way of looking at it.

The aim of spam is to enter your mind for commercial ends disguised as
something else. That is, not "honest" advertising. Obviously not as
directly intrusive as direct cold calling - but manipulating a supine
fourth estate to get your selling message across seems to be very much
down that road.

Sure, spam started off being restricted to email and postings - or
something like that. But the word has gained legs and it seems perfectly
reasonable to extend it to news media and stories like this.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Good luck to him. I don't care what is motivation is. Spam is intrusive, expensive, and unavoidable. Anti-spammers are welcome to use methods that cost me nothing, are non-intrusive, and avoidable. When their methods reach the level of shampoo adverts and product placement in films, then perhaps they'll irritate me.

Right now, I'm glad he did and will welcome another story like that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 27/10/2012 22:04, Hugh - in either England or Spain wrote:
http://news.sky.com/story/1003497/vi...aller-to-court

Amazing coincidence - the chap did this by using telephone recording kit
- and "Mr Herman, who works in the telephone industry selling
call-recording equipment, said his action was a last resort after asking
the Information Commissioner and the Telephone Preference Service for help."

Of course, he has no interest in getting this story propagated, does he?

In that sense, is his spammy story much better than the spamming gits he
complained at?

Maybe I am wrong - but certainly has a whiff...

I agree about his agenda and probable motivation, but to correlate his
story being published in the press and on TV with a cold calling
operation is a strange way of looking at it.

To be fair to the bloke, he's set up a website telling you what he did -
and I can't find any links to his recording equipment on that.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2012 08:19, Hugh - in either England or Spain wrote:
The guy obviously has an agenda but it shows it can be done - if you can
identify the entity at the other end of the line and they have any money

When we get four calls in a day from a call centre where the person has
an Indian/Pakistani accent, and insists they are calling from the UK
despite the satellite lag (1)... that's not going to help.

Andy

(1) Well the first couple did. The last few haven't had the time. I
find "Just a minute", phone on desk then back to the TV quite satisfying...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

"If you can identify the entity" is the key here. On the few
occasions I've engaged the caller in conversation they have either
refused to tell me the company they work for or given me a fake name.

And if the company is actually based in India I doubt you could do
anything even if you could identify them.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2012 10:38, Mark wrote:

"If you can identify the entity" is the key here. On the few
occasions I've engaged the caller in conversation they have either
refused to tell me the company they work for or given me a fake name.

And if the company is actually based in India I doubt you could do
anything even if you could identify them.

Agreed. Even if they say something it is often difficult to get the name
right.

I'd be interested how much the compensation works out at after costs and
per hour of thought and effort.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2012 10:38, Mark wrote:

"If you can identify the entity" is the key here. On the few
occasions I've engaged the caller in conversation they have either
refused to tell me the company they work for or given me a fake name.

And if the company is actually based in India I doubt you could do
anything even if you could identify them.

But surely, they must be working on behalf of a British entity which
would provide whatever "service" they're promoting?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:31:25 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 29/10/2012 10:38, Mark wrote:

"If you can identify the entity" is the key here. On the few
occasions I've engaged the caller in conversation they have either
refused to tell me the company they work for or given me a fake name.

And if the company is actually based in India I doubt you could do
anything even if you could identify them.

But surely, they must be working on behalf of a British entity which
would provide whatever "service" they're promoting?

It is possible to provide a "service" to UK residents without the
company having an official presence in the UK.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 29/10/2012 10:38, Mark wrote:

"If you can identify the entity" is the key here. On the few
occasions I've engaged the caller in conversation they have either
refused to tell me the company they work for or given me a fake name.

And if the company is actually based in India I doubt you could do
anything even if you could identify them.

But surely, they must be working on behalf of a British entity which
would provide whatever "service" they're promoting?

It is possible to provide a "service" to UK residents without the
company having an official presence in the UK.

Maybe, but I would have thought that most of the outfits offering to
claim PPI compensation etc. were British. No?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 29/10/2012 10:38, Mark wrote:

"If you can identify the entity" is the key here. On the few
occasions I've engaged the caller in conversation they have
either refused to tell me the company they work for or given me
a fake name.

And if the company is actually based in India I doubt you could
do anything even if you could identify them.

But surely, they must be working on behalf of a British entity
which would provide whatever "service" they're promoting?

It is possible to provide a "service" to UK residents without the
company having an official presence in the UK.

Maybe, but I would have thought that most of the outfits offering to
claim PPI compensation etc. were British. No?

Maybe. But the spam callers are not necessarily doing anything of the
sort. Simply mentioning PPI claims could be a ruse for something else -
getting information out of you?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2012 18:23, Roger Mills wrote:

Maybe, but I would have thought that most of the outfits offering to
claim PPI compensation etc. were British. No?

Maybe. Or maybe further down the spiel they mention that you'll have to
make an upfront payment to process the claim, and can they have your
credit card details please...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 21:29:05 +0000, Andy Champ
wrote:

On 29/10/2012 18:23, Roger Mills wrote:

Maybe, but I would have thought that most of the outfits offering to
claim PPI compensation etc. were British. No?

Maybe. Or maybe further down the spiel they mention that you'll have to
make an upfront payment to process the claim, and can they have your
credit card details please...

That's my guess. I just assume the PPI calls are scams rather than
ordinary marketing calls.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

This topic is frequently discussed on uk.telecom

Trucall call blocker:
www.truecall.co.uk

CPR call blocker:
www.cprcallblocker.com

I have the CPR unit. It works great for me. It prevents loads of spam calls getting through.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

CPR call blocker:
www.cprcallblocker.com

"Testimonials

Mr. James Jones

If I had 40 pounds to spend on 10 Romanian Hookers, 4 crates of Jack Daniels
and a wife muzzle I would still buy this.Absolutely superb. Well done guys.
My life is complete"

Well - you can't argue with that!

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

OT cold callers Alan[_10_] UK diy 3 January 8th 12 12:18 AM
PITA cold callers about insulation grants brass monkey UK diy 35 July 31st 11 12:35 AM
OT - callers at door. sweetheart[_2_] UK diy 45 April 22nd 10 11:45 PM
Washing machine install (only got a cold feed, washer has hot and cold feeds) ARWadsworth UK diy 5 April 12th 07 09:26 PM
Cold air blowing outta cold air return vents when blower's not running [email protected] Home Ownership 2 December 19th 05 12:33 PM