Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Scotch airer easy winch

My mum's got one of those contraptions of 4 strips of wood suspended from
a pair of metal hangers, raised and lowered from pulleys screwed into the
ceiling by sash-cord-type rope. She's getting on and finding it hard to
manage the weight so I'm thinking of some sort of winch which would give
her a mechanical advantage, or maybe even some sort of electric gizmo. My
Google-fu isn't winning he anyone have any suggestions for sources of
suitable devices?

--
John Stumbles

militant pacifist
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2012 14:05, John Stumbles wrote:
My mum's got one of those contraptions of 4 strips of wood suspended from
a pair of metal hangers, raised and lowered from pulleys screwed into the
ceiling by sash-cord-type rope. She's getting on and finding it hard to
manage the weight so I'm thinking of some sort of winch which would give
her a mechanical advantage, or maybe even some sort of electric gizmo. My
Google-fu isn't winning he anyone have any suggestions for sources of
suitable devices?

You could try a boat winch (used to pull boat on to trailer). Machine
Mart stock some. I used one to upgrade a hay soaker, it's a bit big and
clunky but it works and has ratchets both ways.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Apr 2012 13:05:57 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

She's getting on and finding it hard to
manage the weight so I'm thinking of some sort of winch which would give
her a mechanical advantage, or maybe even some sort of electric gizmo. My
Google-fu isn't winning he anyone have any suggestions for sources of
suitable devices?

Take the two ropes to a wall mounted wheel (if not already fitted) and
then attach both to a small block and tackle with standing block
fitted to the wall.

Using a luff (one double and one single block) you will gain 3 or 4
times mechanical advantage without spoiling the look of the assembly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rope-block-and-tackle-pulley-cargo-hoist-180kg-lifting-lift-/280853921508?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=i tem416432bee4

has a 6:1 advantage - which might be a bit too much but you could
always re-rig it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My mum's got one of those contraptions of 4 strips of wood suspended from
a pair of metal hangers, raised and lowered from pulleys screwed into the
ceiling by sash-cord-type rope. She's getting on and finding it hard to
manage the weight so I'm thinking of some sort of winch which would give
her a mechanical advantage, or maybe even some sort of electric gizmo. My
Google-fu isn't winning he anyone have any suggestions for sources of
suitable devices?

If it is like mine then the sash-cords are passed through a simple
pulley system which gives the operator a mechanical advantage of 2:1.
If the layout of the room would allow, I'd use an additional sash cord
and pulley and double the mechanical advantage. You will now have have
about four foot of cord pulled through for every one foot of elevation
(and one pound of effort (less friction) for every four pounds
lifted). If you were to mount something like a cable reel drum on the
wall to wind up the cord with, the cord would be kept tidily out of
the way and you would gain even more mechanical advantage over the
load. Heath-Robinson, eat your heart out.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2012 14:05, John Stumbles wrote:
My mum's got one of those contraptions of 4 strips of wood suspended from
a pair of metal hangers, raised and lowered from pulleys screwed into the
ceiling by sash-cord-type rope. She's getting on and finding it hard to
manage the weight so I'm thinking of some sort of winch which would give
her a mechanical advantage, or maybe even some sort of electric gizmo. My
Google-fu isn't winning he anyone have any suggestions for sources of
suitable devices?

Boat winch was my first thought but for a more domestic-friendly idea
why not simply use the power of mechanical advantage with multiple pulleys?

Then I found the following....
http://www.toolsdiy.co.uk/shop/view/...ng-pulley-set/
Looks like just the job.

:¬)

Pete

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 14:42:42 +0100, Nick Odell wrote:

... If
you were to mount something like a cable reel drum on the wall to wind
up the cord with, the cord would be kept tidily out of the way and you
would gain even more mechanical advantage over the load. Heath-Robinson,
eat your heart out.

I think a drum with handle would be neatest and would possibly give all
the mechanical advantage she needs without extra pulleys. I could rig
something up but I wonder if there's anything ready-rolled? Especially as
it would need some means of locking (though a chandlers might yield
something useful in that department).

--
John Stumbles

If atheism is a religion then "off" is a TV channel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My mum's got one of those contraptions of 4 strips of wood suspended from
a pair of metal hangers, raised and lowered from pulleys screwed into the
ceiling by sash-cord-type rope. She's getting on and finding it hard to
manage the weight so I'm thinking of some sort of winch which would give
her a mechanical advantage, or maybe even some sort of electric gizmo. My
Google-fu isn't winning he anyone have any suggestions for sources of
suitable devices?

We had one in the house where I grew up 1950s/60s,
but I never knew until now what it was called.

I think we just called ours "the rack".

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

wrote:

My mum's got one of those contraptions of 4 strips of wood suspended from
a pair of metal hangers, raised and lowered from pulleys screwed into the
ceiling by sash-cord-type rope.

We had one in the house where I grew up 1950s/60s,
but I never knew until now what it was called.
I think we just called ours "the rack".

Sheila Maid were/are a common brand ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:
My mum's got one of those contraptions of 4 strips of wood suspended
from a pair of metal hangers, raised and lowered from pulleys screwed
into the ceiling by sash-cord-type rope. She's getting on and finding it
hard to manage the weight so I'm thinking of some sort of winch which
would give her a mechanical advantage, or maybe even some sort of
electric gizmo. My Google-fu isn't winning he anyone have any
suggestions for sources of suitable devices?

I've got one too - very useful. Couldn't you persuade her simply to not
load it so much?

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My mum's got one of those contraptions of 4 strips of wood suspended
from a pair of metal hangers, raised and lowered from pulleys screwed
into the ceiling by sash-cord-type rope. She's getting on and finding it
hard to manage the weight so I'm thinking of some sort of winch which
would give her a mechanical advantage, or maybe even some sort of
electric gizmo. My Google-fu isn't winning he anyone have any
suggestions for sources of suitable devices?

We had one in the house where I grew up 1950s/60s, but I never knew
until now what it was called.

I think we just called ours "the rack".

"Sheila Maid" is probably a brand name, but that's what we call ours.

http://www.nutscene.com/store/category.vc?categoryId=1

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

I know it as a 'Lazy Susan' (see http://tinyurl.com/brk6h72).

How does that website work? Scrape all listings from ebay.co.uk for
"cast iron", translate to Chinese, then translate back to English on
cast-iron.org.uk ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2012 17:33, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

I know it as a 'Lazy Susan' (see http://tinyurl.com/brk6h72).

How does that website work? Scrape all listings from ebay.co.uk for
"cast iron", translate to Chinese, then translate back to English on
cast-iron.org.uk ...

LOL.
"perfect parching shelve for garments over Aga"

Parching, that's a great word.

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.

http://www.water-rower.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My mum's got one of those contraptions of 4 strips of wood suspended
from a pair of metal hangers, raised and lowered from pulleys screwed
into the ceiling by sash-cord-type rope. She's getting on and finding it
hard to manage the weight so I'm thinking of some sort of winch which
would give her a mechanical advantage, or maybe even some sort of
electric gizmo. My Google-fu isn't winning he anyone have any
suggestions for sources of suitable devices?

We had one in the house where I grew up 1950s/60s, but I never knew
until now what it was called.

I think we just called ours "the rack".

"Sheila Maid" is probably a brand name, but that's what we call ours.

http://www.nutscene.com/store/category.vc?categoryId=1

Often known alternatively in the North of England as a creel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheila_Maid

I can't find any corroboration for this though.

A creel is also a fisherman's basket.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creel_(basket)

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 15:06:01 +0100, Graham. wrote:

We had one in the house where I grew up 1950s/60s,
but I never knew until now what it was called.

I think we just called ours "the rack".

They were a feature of every kitchen I knew as a kid.

And people just took it for granted that windows would run with
condensation and the only reason mould didn't grow in the corners of
every room was the draught whistling through the house.

Jeez.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
They were a feature of every kitchen I knew as a kid.

And people just took it for granted that windows would run with
condensation and the only reason mould didn't grow in the corners of
every room was the draught whistling through the house.

Cooking in that kitchen would also produce vast quantities of water
vapour. Then as now. If you don't ventilate for that you'll get
condensation.

--
*Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 12:38:06 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
They were a feature of every kitchen I knew as a kid.

And people just took it for granted that windows would run with
condensation and the only reason mould didn't grow in the corners of
every room was the draught whistling through the house.

Cooking in that kitchen would also produce vast quantities of water
vapour. Then as now. If you don't ventilate for that you'll get
condensation.

Yes, but the majority of inhabitants of said houses were just ignorant
of the basic principles of that. Most still are, of course, but many
more than before have some sort of clue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Cooking in that kitchen would also produce vast quantities of water
vapour. Then as now. If you don't ventilate for that you'll get
condensation.

Yes, but the majority of inhabitants of said houses were just ignorant
of the basic principles of that. Most still are, of course, but many
more than before have some sort of clue.

I doubt it. Most think adequate ventilation simply wastes heat and is to
be avoided.

--
*Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My mum's got one of those contraptions of 4 strips of wood suspended from
a pair of metal hangers, raised and lowered from pulleys screwed into the
ceiling by sash-cord-type rope. She's getting on and finding it hard to
manage the weight so I'm thinking of some sort of winch which would give
her a mechanical advantage, or maybe even some sort of electric gizmo. My
Google-fu isn't winning he anyone have any suggestions for sources of
suitable devices?

We had one in the house where I grew up 1950s/60s,
but I never knew until now what it was called.

I think we just called ours "the rack".

In Scotland it's just called "an airer".

;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My mum's got one of those contraptions of 4 strips of wood suspended from
a pair of metal hangers, raised and lowered from pulleys screwed into the
ceiling by sash-cord-type rope. She's getting on and finding it hard to
manage the weight so I'm thinking of some sort of winch which would give
her a mechanical advantage, or maybe even some sort of electric gizmo. My
Google-fu isn't winning he anyone have any suggestions for sources of
suitable devices?

I know it as a 'Lazy Susan' (see http://tinyurl.com/brk6h72).

Far out. To me a "lazy Susan" is a rotatable tray on which you serve
several dishes on it so people can turn it around for easy access to
all of them. (Maybe it's an Americanism.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 22:30:37 +0100, Adam Funk
wrote:

I think we just called ours "the rack".

In Scotland it's just called "an airer".

Or 'pulley'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My mum's got one of those contraptions of 4 strips of wood suspended from
a pair of metal hangers, raised and lowered from pulleys screwed into the
ceiling by sash-cord-type rope. She's getting on and finding it hard to
manage the weight so I'm thinking of some sort of winch which would give
her a mechanical advantage, or maybe even some sort of electric gizmo. My
Google-fu isn't winning he anyone have any suggestions for sources of
suitable devices?

I know it as a 'Lazy Susan' (see http://tinyurl.com/brk6h72).

Far out. To me a "lazy Susan" is a rotatable tray on which you serve
several dishes on it so people can turn it around for easy access to
all of them. (Maybe it's an Americanism.)

Google images seem to agree with you, Adam.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-04-13, Graham wrote:
wrote:

My mum's got one of those contraptions of 4 strips of wood suspended from
a pair of metal hangers, raised and lowered from pulleys screwed into the
ceiling by sash-cord-type rope. She's getting on and finding it hard to
manage the weight so I'm thinking of some sort of winch which would give
her a mechanical advantage, or maybe even some sort of electric gizmo. My
Google-fu isn't winning he anyone have any suggestions for sources of
suitable devices?

We had one in the house where I grew up 1950s/60s,
but I never knew until now what it was called.

I think we just called ours "the rack".

In Scotland it's just called "an airer".

;-)

Except when it's called a 'pulley'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-04-13, Graham wrote:
wrote:

My mum's got one of those contraptions of 4 strips of wood suspended from
a pair of metal hangers, raised and lowered from pulleys screwed into the
ceiling by sash-cord-type rope. She's getting on and finding it hard to
manage the weight so I'm thinking of some sort of winch which would give
her a mechanical advantage, or maybe even some sort of electric gizmo. My
Google-fu isn't winning he anyone have any suggestions for sources of
suitable devices?

We had one in the house where I grew up 1950s/60s,
but I never knew until now what it was called.

I think we just called ours "the rack".

In Scotland it's just called "an airer".

;-)

(That's based on some old joke to the effect that the Chinese don't
have a term for "Chinese food" --- they just call it "food".)

Except when it's called a 'pulley'.

Really, for the whole apparatus including the slats & the rope, as
well as the pulley in the narrow sense? (I didn't know that.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-04-15, S Viemeister wrote:

Except when it's called a 'pulley'.

Really, for the whole apparatus including the slats& the rope, as
well as the pulley in the narrow sense? (I didn't know that.)

As a child, I found it confusing, but yes - the whole contraption is
'the pulley'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-04-15, S Viemeister wrote:

Except when it's called a 'pulley'.

Really, for the whole apparatus including the slats& the rope, as
well as the pulley in the narrow sense? (I didn't know that.)

As a child, I found it confusing, but yes - the whole contraption is
'the pulley'.

We did have one (in Aberdeen) when I was very young. Removed when the
kitchen was modernised. And I can't for the life of me remember what
mother called it. I'll ask my older brother.

--
*Born free - taxed to death *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-04-15, S Viemeister wrote:

Except when it's called a 'pulley'.

Really, for the whole apparatus including the slats& the rope, as
well as the pulley in the narrow sense? (I didn't know that.)

As a child, I found it confusing, but yes - the whole contraption is
'the pulley'.

We did have one (in Aberdeen) when I was very young. Removed when the
kitchen was modernised. And I can't for the life of me remember what
mother called it. I'll ask my older brother.

I still have mine, mounted over the (now-defunct) Rayburn.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , S Viemeister
writes
On 2012-04-15, S Viemeister wrote:

Except when it's called a 'pulley'.

Really, for the whole apparatus including the slats& the rope, as
well as the pulley in the narrow sense? (I didn't know that.)

As a child, I found it confusing, but yes - the whole contraption is
'the pulley'.

We did have one (in Aberdeen) when I was very young. Removed when the
kitchen was modernised. And I can't for the life of me remember what
mother called it. I'll ask my older brother.

I still have mine, mounted over the (now-defunct) Rayburn.

It is known as the *pulley haully* here. Lives over the freezer in the
utility room.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

writes
On 2012-04-15, S Viemeister wrote:
Except when it's called a 'pulley'.

Really, for the whole apparatus including the slats& the rope, as
well as the pulley in the narrow sense? (I didn't know that.)

As a child, I found it confusing, but yes - the whole contraption is
'the pulley'.

We did have one (in Aberdeen) when I was very young. Removed when the
kitchen was modernised. And I can't for the life of me remember what
mother called it. I'll ask my older brother.

I still have mine, mounted over the (now-defunct) Rayburn.

It is known as the *pulley haully* here. Lives over the freezer in the
utility room.

I should probably move mine to the utility room and install a
dehumidifier there - there's not much point having the pulley over the
Rayburn now, as it (the Rayburn) has been disconnected.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

9 years too late for John Stumbles, but it might help others to know you can buy such a thing he https://www.castinstyle.co.uk/product?xProd=2366 although, stylish as it is, it costs more than the original drying rack! Theres a good video of it though, which would teach anyone who wanted how it works and so could rig up something similar.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ch-802070-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2021 17:15, Mirabelle wrote:
9 years too late for John Stumbles, but it might help others to know you
can buy such a thing he
https://www.castinstyle.co.uk/product?xProd=2366 although, stylish as it
is, it costs more than the original drying rack! Theres a good video of
it though, which would teach anyone who wanted how it works and so could
rig up something similar.

Solution looking for a problem. We had a pulley (scotch airer) and I
could operate it when I was at Primary school without a winch. Never
too heavy for me even at 4' (still not the biggest of chaps (5' 4").
Not especially strong just the pulley didn't need that much strength.

Anything that was heavy enough to need a 60kg winch would probably
pull the pulley from the ceiling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-05-31, Mirabelle wrote:
9 years too late for John Stumbles, but it might help others to know
you can buy such a thing he
https://www.castinstyle.co.uk/product?xProd=2366 although, stylish as
it is, it costs more than the original drying rack! There???s a good
video of it though, which would teach anyone who wanted how it works
and so could rig up something similar.

wow posh. Our local DIY shop has/had (not checked recently) all the bits
you needed to make such an airer - cast iron thingies for each end,
pulleys for roof fixing, sash cord for roping up, and cast tie off point
for wall. All parts came to considerably less, though I did buy plain
pine lats and varnished then myself. Only had to replace the cord once
in the last 32 years, and it gets pretty much daily use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Im glad you were strong enough as a young person but they do come in different sizes and a large one with a load of wet washing can be hard for an older person especially with arthritis in hands and shoulders. So a solution may be necessary for some, just not you!

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ch-802070-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-05-31, Mirabelle
wrote:
9 years too late for John Stumbles, but it might help others to know
you can buy such a thing he
https://www.castinstyle.co.uk/product?xProd=2366 although, stylish as
it is, it costs more than the original drying rack! There???s a good
video of it though, which would teach anyone who wanted how it works
and so could rig up something similar.

wow posh. Our local DIY shop has/had (not checked recently) all the bits
you needed to make such an airer - cast iron thingies for each end,
pulleys for roof fixing, sash cord for roping up, and cast tie off point
for wall. All parts came to considerably less, though I did buy plain
pine lats and varnished then myself. Only had to replace the cord once
in the last 32 years, and it gets pretty much daily use.

Pretty well the same here. Ours is 27 years old, and I bought all the
parts from one place as a kit, with an extra pulley to re-route the cord
slightly:

https://sheilamaid.com/

I have replaced the cord once.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-05-31, Mirabelle
wrote:
[...]

We also re-routed ours with an extra pulley. Haven't yet had to replace
the cord, but it's only 23 years old.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-05-31, Mirabelle
wrote:
[...]

I moved the one in this house and used new cord (nylon). that was now over
40 years ago.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2021 23:01, Mirabelle wrote:
Im glad you were strong enough as a young person .

That's just it I wasn't strong, the pulley system of the Pulley has
something like a two to one mechanical advantage and could easily be
lofted by a six year old (and that was for a family, if for one maybe
two it should go up easily even with arthritis).

People with no-arms, living independently, will have much cheaper
solutions I would have thought than a £160+ cast iron winch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2021 11:14, soup wrote:
On 31/05/2021 23:01, Mirabelle wrote:

Im glad you were strong enough as a young person .

That's just it I wasn't strong, the pulley system of the Pulley has
something like a two to one mechanical advantage and could easily be
lofted by a six year old (and that was for a family, if for one maybe
two it should go up easily even with arthritis).

Â*People with no-arms, living independently, will have much cheaper
solutions I would have thought than a £160+ cast iron winch.

For that money I would expect it to be electric and Internet-enabled.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Jun 2021 at 12:25:16 BST, "Max Demian" wrote:

On 01/06/2021 11:14, soup wrote:
On 31/05/2021 23:01, Mirabelle wrote:

Im glad you were strong enough as a young person .

That's just it I wasn't strong, the pulley system of the Pulley has
something like a two to one mechanical advantage and could easily be
lofted by a six year old (and that was for a family, if for one maybe
two it should go up easily even with arthritis).

Â*People with no-arms, living independently, will have much cheaper
solutions I would have thought than a £160+ cast iron winch.

For that money I would expect it to be electric and Internet-enabled.

You nowadays have to pay extra to get things *not* Internet enabled.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 01/06/2021 11:14, soup wrote:
On 31/05/2021 23:01, Mirabelle wrote:

Im glad you were strong enough as a young person .
That's just it I wasn't strong, the pulley system of the Pulley has
something like a two to one mechanical advantage and could easily be
lofted by a six year old (and that was for a family, if for one maybe
two it should go up easily even with arthritis).
People with no-arms, living independently, will have much cheaper
solutions I would have thought than a £160+ cast iron winch.

For that money I would expect it to be electric and Internet-enabled.

You nowadays have to pay extra to get things *not* Internet enabled.

I didnt with any toaster I have bought, or the fridge, freezer, lawn mower
etc etc etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 05:19:55 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless