charlie b

Default If you turn Scotch Broom are you a turning addict?

Tonight I turned a gouge handle out of a small trunk
of a Scotch Broom bush. A few days ago I was turning
some heavenly bamboo (nandian) prunings and before
that a small branch I cut off my pepper tree.

Is there a TA (Turners Anonymous). If so, if
there are any members out there I NEED A
SPONSOR!

chariie b

BTW - scotch broom, while not particularly
attractive, can be finished to a glass like
finish.
Ralph E Lindberg

In article ,
charlie b wrote:

Tonight I turned a gouge handle out of a small trunk
of a Scotch Broom bush. A few days ago I was turning
some heavenly bamboo (nandian) prunings and before
that a small branch I cut off my pepper tree.

Is there a TA (Turners Anonymous). If so, if
there are any members out there I NEED A
SPONSOR!

chariie b

BTW - scotch broom, while not particularly
attractive, can be finished to a glass like
finish.

Seek therapy now.... turning a weed??? (god, I would love to have a
serious discussion with the person that imported Scotch Bloom)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Bill Thomas

Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In article ,
charlie b wrote:

Tonight I turned a gouge handle out of a small trunk
of a Scotch Broom bush. A few days ago I was turning
some heavenly bamboo (nandian) prunings and before
that a small branch I cut off my pepper tree.

Is there a TA (Turners Anonymous). If so, if
there are any members out there I NEED A
SPONSOR!

chariie b

BTW - scotch broom, while not particularly
attractive, can be finished to a glass like
finish.

Seek therapy now.... turning a weed??? (god, I would love to have a
serious discussion with the person that imported Scotch Bloom)

Please wrap your tools very carefully and send them to me. I will
take care of them until you have recovered.
Brian

Ah, but scotch broom is such a nice turning wood when you can get stems the
right size. I have made some weed pots with it and other small things.

Forget recovery, enjoy the addiction to the fullest.

Brian

charlie b

Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

Seek therapy now.... turning a weed??? (god, I would love to have a
serious discussion with the person that imported Scotch Bloom)

A weed, by definition, is ANY plant growing where you don't
want it to grow. Size also comes into play as well. In this
case I hav a 3 foot length of the "trunk" that's over 2"
in diameter The "bush/little tree", roots and all, has been
out of the ground for over 6 months. The wood is surprisingly
had, though the grain is not particularly attractive, nor
is its color - a green tinge to it.

But once people know you'll turn anything they start
keeping and bringing over stuff you might be able
to turn. THAT can be good or bad. Tomorrow I'm going
over to a buddy's to get some black walnut, almond and
maybe some olive. He's also got an unlimited supply
of turnable pin oak but I'm going to pass on that stuff.

A friend in Texas is going to send me some Texas Ebony
and some mesquite to try and a tree trimmer neighbor
will keep an eye out for tulip and cherry.

NO ONE has EVER given me furniture making size
wood, especially any special stuff. But turning sized
pieces - I've got a never ending supply.- unless I
start in on bowls and the like.

Given the impending supply of turnable stuff, I headed
up to WoodCraft today, allegedly to get a pair of 40"
Bessy's on sale (reserved them last night) and picked
up a rectangular and long oval 3/4" skew - on sale,
along with a half inch jacobs chuch for the tale stock,
a live center set and the Tormek jig for gouges. Still
need a thin parting tool - for less than $25. Figure
I'm into this obsession/addiction/hobby/avocation
enough to get some semi-serious turning tools
and accessories.

But sometime soon I need to finish the kiln table
and the coopered door cabinet for router bits.

Fun this wood turning thing.

charlie b

Brian

The scotch broom that I have turned has a cream color on the outside and a
deep brown in the center. It is very porous and I turned it wet. The bark
shredded off and made a horrible mess of the shop. When I dried it in the
microwave it poured out the water. Still it is kind of pretty.

Brian

Ken Moon

"charlie b" wrote in message
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
Still
need a thin parting tool - for less than $25.

=======================

Find a place that sells wood cutting blades (approx 5-6 inches long) for
reciprocating saws (Sawzall, etc.), grind the teeth off. Cut/grind the end
at about a 25 degree angle, tape the other end (or sandwich it between two
3/4 X 1 1/2 in pieces of hard wood), and you have a parting tool similar to
the Cris Stott tool. Use it point down for parting.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

M.J.

"Brian" wrote in message
The scotch broom that I have turned has a cream color on the outside and a
deep brown in the center. It is very porous and I turned it wet. The
bark shredded off and made a horrible mess of the shop. When I dried it
in the microwave it poured out the water. Still it is kind of pretty.

Brian

For a damn weed it does make fairly attractive christmas tree ornaments.
Icicles etc...

--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

Reyd

In article ,
"Brian" wrote:

The scotch broom that I have turned has a cream color on the outside and a
deep brown in the center. It is very porous and I turned it wet. The bark
shredded off and made a horrible mess of the shop. When I dried it in the
microwave it poured out the water. Still it is kind of pretty.

Brian

interesting, perhaps it depends on where it grows?
I used to turn broom for work, it made lovely bottlestoppers, bright
yellow and brown with interesting swirling grain.

--
All they do is slap some lipstick on and try to
pretend it's not a pig.

this couple is gets attacked by... uh... *grabs lamp*
a lamp monster! *waves lamp around* Woooooooooo!"

-Delta Nine