View Single Post
  #23   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline
external usenet poster
Posts: 1,591
Default Scotch airer easy winch

On 2012-04-15, S Viemeister wrote:

On 4/14/2012 5:30 PM, Adam Funk wrote:
On 2012-04-13, Graham wrote:

My mum's got one of those contraptions of 4 strips of wood suspended from
a pair of metal hangers, raised and lowered from pulleys screwed into the
ceiling by sash-cord-type rope. She's getting on and finding it hard to
manage the weight so I'm thinking of some sort of winch which would give
her a mechanical advantage, or maybe even some sort of electric gizmo. My
Google-fu isn't winning he anyone have any suggestions for sources of
suitable devices?

We had one in the house where I grew up 1950s/60s,
but I never knew until now what it was called.

I think we just called ours "the rack".

In Scotland it's just called "an airer".


(That's based on some old joke to the effect that the Chinese don't
have a term for "Chinese food" --- they just call it "food".)

Except when it's called a 'pulley'.

Really, for the whole apparatus including the slats & the rope, as
well as the pulley in the narrow sense? (I didn't know that.)