Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Scotch airer easy winch

On 2021-05-31, Mirabelle
wrote:
9 years too late for John Stumbles, but it might help others to know
you can buy such a thing he
https://www.castinstyle.co.uk/product?xProd=2366 although, stylish as
it is, it costs more than the original drying rack! There???s a good
video of it though, which would teach anyone who wanted how it works
and so could rig up something similar.

wow posh. Our local DIY shop has/had (not checked recently) all the bits
you needed to make such an airer - cast iron thingies for each end,
pulleys for roof fixing, sash cord for roping up, and cast tie off point
for wall. All parts came to considerably less, though I did buy plain
pine lats and varnished then myself. Only had to replace the cord once
in the last 32 years, and it gets pretty much daily use.

Pretty well the same here. Ours is 27 years old, and I bought all the
parts from one place as a kit, with an extra pulley to re-route the cord
slightly:

https://sheilamaid.com/

I have replaced the cord once.