Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default First car recommendations?

I loved my Herald .... wish I'd kept it but at 18 you are keen to move
on ... if I remember the sequence of first few cars it was..

Triumph Herald 1965
Vauxhall Viva HA 1969
Morris 1300 1972
Volkswagen Beetle 1973
Triumph 1500 1974
Simca 1500 ?
Cortina Mk III 1976
Cortina Mk IV 1978
Cortina Mk V 1982

... all probably now well scrapped and made into something else

They usually made themselves into Ferrous oxide .. AKA Rust;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2012 21:32, Rick wrote:
On 24/02/2012 12:22 PM, Davey wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:07:53 -0000
wrote:

y Triumph Herald was a good choice.

I often wondered about that, but never did. But the chassis/body panel
construction should have made it safe.
My favourite memory is of buying an exhaust system, which came in one
piece, about nine feet long. I had freed the rear seat back (this was
before accommodation for skis was common), and a puzzled old couple
watched from the other side of the road as I inserted the whole exhaust
system into what looked, to them, like the boot of the car.

A bonnet that came up with the wings mad working on the engine a breeze.

The front wheel made a convenient seat while doing so.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

y Triumph Herald was a good choice.

I often wondered about that, but never did. But the chassis/body
panel construction should have made it safe.
My favourite memory is of buying an exhaust system, which came in
one piece, about nine feet long. I had freed the rear seat back
(this was before accommodation for skis was common), and a puzzled
old couple watched from the other side of the road as I inserted
the whole exhaust system into what looked, to them, like the boot
of the car.

A bonnet that came up with the wings mad working on the engine a
breeze.

The front wheel made a convenient seat while doing so.

Colin Bignell

That bonnet was useful once when I drove too fast into a flooded
roadway. I was able to open the bonnet, lift it, dry off the ignition
wires, and drop the bonnet down again, all without getting my feet wet.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That bonnet was useful once when I drove too fast into a flooded
roadway. I was able to open the bonnet, lift it, dry off the ignition
wires, and drop the bonnet down again, all without getting my feet wet.

My Herald often crapped out after going through a puddle ... must have
been where distributor or coil was situated ... can't remember now.

I remember the big luxury of fitting a stick on heated rear window
demister ... very flash at the time.
If I had that switched on at same time as headlights dynamo couldn't
keep up and battery slowly discharged.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 10:34:27 +0000
tony sayer wrote:

In article , Davey
scribeth thus
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:48:47 +0000
gremlin_95 wrote:

snip

I am overwhelmed with all the replies, thanks a lot. I shall be
taking your advise into consideration and checking what I can do to
make owning a car affordable to me, if it just doesn't prove
economical then I guess will have to resort to using the bus. There
is a fairly frequent service that is quicker and cheaper than
taking the train.

From what I see, anything is cheaper than taking the train.

Dunno nowadays . I can buy a ticket here in Cambridge to go to London
use the underground and busses for less now that its going to cost to
run my car there put up with the congestion and then more often than
not pay to park it and the congestion charge fee....

Also, congratulations on posting a question that appears to have
*not* deteriorated into unwanted abuse and name-calling! Well done,
young man.

I had to go into London once last year, from Diss. The coach took me
straight to Victoria, and back, and cost £22. I think I could have done
it for £9 if I had booked early enough. All research I did beforehand
told me to avoid car, parking, and congestion charge. And for my
particular trip, there was no easy underground route.
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 13:00:08 +0000
Rick wrote:

That bonnet was useful once when I drove too fast into a flooded
roadway. I was able to open the bonnet, lift it, dry off the
ignition wires, and drop the bonnet down again, all without getting
my feet wet.

My Herald often crapped out after going through a puddle ... must
have been where distributor or coil was situated ... can't remember
now.

I remember the big luxury of fitting a stick on heated rear window
demister ... very flash at the time.
If I had that switched on at same time as headlights dynamo couldn't
keep up and battery slowly discharged.

Never did that. I did have a Webasto roof installed, though. Opening it
by hand was faster than the powered roof on my current car.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2012 09:31, Andy Burns wrote:
gremlin_95 wrote:

On 24/02/2012 20:14, hugh wrote:

gremlin_95 writes

am looking for part time work at the moment to save as much as I can
so I don't have to make my parents pay every penny etc ...

Where did we go wrong :-(

What do you mean?

I think he's wishing *all* teenagers would get off their arses, find
an apprenticeship and a day-release course, not expect M&D to buy them
a car and be willing to find extra work to pay for one instead ...

Keep at it, you should do well ...

Ahh cheers, well at school I noticed everyone just went with 'A' Level
subjects without looking at other options just because it was the norm.
I often got told my course is for people with poor GCSEs etc and for
those not clever enough to do 'A' Levels, didn't let this bother me
though

One thing I will say though, it's bloody hard finding work Was just
applying for a Sainsburys night shift role yesterday and just as I was
about to send the application the vacancy had expired. Waiting to hear
back from the place I went for work experience now, they could possibly
have some work for me...

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Davey wrote:
Wow, a man with understanding of the delights of old cars! I loved an
old Rover 100, which went to whoever in our gang needed a car for a
while, always for £100. It was called Cholmondeley, (pron. 'Chummly),
and this fitted the character of the car perfectly. Pre-selector
gearbox, real quarter lights on the doors, dip-switch on the floor, the
way things should be. I wonder where he is now?

Could you give some more details of this car? Like age and model? The 100
didn't have a pre-select box.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om,
"dennis@home" writes

"hugh" ] wrote in message

I think he was referring to an Additional driver, which is quiet
legitimate and produces an actuarial advantage. Add in my wife to my
policies reduce the premium even though the vehicles are manuals and
she only has an auto licence.

Are you sure that doesn't invalidate the insurance.

Yes
Additional drivers are normally expected to be able to drive the vehicle.

I have answered all their questions truthfully to the best of my
knowledge. - and as she will never have an accident in either vehicle
she will never make a claim.
She doesn't have a license valid for that vehicle and every insurance I
have seen says you need one.

See above
Maybe you put her down as a provisional license for that vehicle?

Maybe - maybe not.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 17:01:39 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Davey wrote:
Wow, a man with understanding of the delights of old cars! I loved
an old Rover 100, which went to whoever in our gang needed a car
for a while, always for £100. It was called Cholmondeley, (pron.
'Chummly), and this fitted the character of the car perfectly.
Pre-selector gearbox, real quarter lights on the doors, dip-switch
on the floor, the way things should be. I wonder where he is now?

Could you give some more details of this car? Like age and model? The
100 didn't have a pre-select box.

A little clarification. I could pre-select a change up or down, the
actual change being activated by depressing the 'clutch' pedal. If it
was not a 100, but a 90 or something, my apologies, I have always
thought of it as a 100. Other than that, and that it was black, and had
worn tan leather seats, I don't have much more information. As I said,
"I wonder where he is now?".
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Davey wrote:
Could you give some more details of this car? Like age and model? The
100 didn't have a pre-select box.

A little clarification. I could pre-select a change up or down, the
actual change being activated by depressing the 'clutch' pedal.

Yes - that's a preselector box.

If it
was not a 100, but a 90 or something, my apologies, I have always
thought of it as a 100.

The 60,75,80,90,100,105,110 were all post war cars with normal synchromesh
boxes. Apart from the 105R.

I'm not well up on pre-war Rovers - but they tended to be named by HP, ie
10,12,20,25 etc.

Are you certain it was a Rover?

Other than that, and that it was black, and had
worn tan leather seats, I don't have much more information. As I said,
"I wonder where he is now?".

--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 23:54:59 +0000, Davey
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 17:01:39 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Davey wrote:
[...]

My dad had a Rover 60, which had a "freewheel", which made it
unnecessary to use the clutch to change gear. Very useful to help you
home if the clutch cable "went" provided that you could roll start
and didn't have to stop during the journey, as I found out when I
looked after (a.k.a. "used") the car whilst Dad was at sea. I'd parked
the car on a hill, fortunately. I left it until a Sunday when there
was little traffic, and managed to drive home, about 10 miles, without
having to stop...

Heck - that must've been ca. 45 years ago :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 00:17:10 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Davey wrote:
Could you give some more details of this car? Like age and model?
The 100 didn't have a pre-select box.

A little clarification. I could pre-select a change up or down, the
actual change being activated by depressing the 'clutch' pedal.

Yes - that's a preselector box.

If it
was not a 100, but a 90 or something, my apologies, I have always
thought of it as a 100.

The 60,75,80,90,100,105,110 were all post war cars with normal
synchromesh boxes. Apart from the 105R.

I'm not well up on pre-war Rovers - but they tended to be named by
HP, ie 10,12,20,25 etc.

Are you certain it was a Rover?

Absolutely, no doubt about that. The fun part of the pre-selector was
when driving in the country, you could pre-select the up or down, and
then make the change as you approached a bend, or accelerated after a
bend, when you were ready. It was quite nimble, for its size. The
control lever was on the right side of the steering column.
This was certainly the 'Auntie' Rover 75/90/100 body style, and all
black.
Maybe the box was not original? But it seemed to be well integrated.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Frank Erskine wrote:
My dad had a Rover 60, which had a "freewheel", which made it
unnecessary to use the clutch to change gear. Very useful to help you
home if the clutch cable "went" provided that you could roll start
and didn't have to stop during the journey, as I found out when I
looked after (a.k.a. "used") the car whilst Dad was at sea. I'd parked
the car on a hill, fortunately. I left it until a Sunday when there
was little traffic, and managed to drive home, about 10 miles, without
having to stop...

Heck - that must've been ca. 45 years ago :-)

Rovers historically favoured free wheels. Dated from pre synchromesh days
- made changing gear rather easier.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Davey wrote:
Absolutely, no doubt about that. The fun part of the pre-selector was
when driving in the country, you could pre-select the up or down, and
then make the change as you approached a bend, or accelerated after a
bend, when you were ready. It was quite nimble, for its size. The
control lever was on the right side of the steering column.
This was certainly the 'Auntie' Rover 75/90/100 body style, and all
black.
Maybe the box was not original? But it seemed to be well integrated.

Certainly not original. I don't know of any Rover ever fitted with a
pre-select box - although I don't have extensive knowledge of all models.
I did have a '35 12 which had a crash box and freewheel. The box was
unusual in that the gear engagement was by dog clutches - rather like most
motorbikes.

It would seem a strange thing to experiment with too, as by the time the
P4 arrived autos were becoming common in the US. So an auto P4 may have
been tried. Although Rover never marketed a full auto P4 - just a weird
attempt with the 105R. IIRC, the reason it was never fitted with an auto
was the amount of chassis and body mods required, as the P5 (with the same
engine family) was available with one during the P4 production run.

Have you ever been in contact with the P4 club? I'm sure they'd be
fascinated to know of this one. Especially since the 100 didn't arrive
until 1960, when pre-select boxes were virtually forgotten, for cars, at
least. The auto had replaced them.

--
*All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
hugh ] writes:
In message , Nightjar
writes
There is something to be said for not being able to get at your pension
fund, even in times of need.

Apparently, some companies are now doing this. You transfer
your pension to them, and they can then lend some of it back
to you.

However, HMRC then come after you for 40% of it (tax) plus
15% (fine for using an unauthorised scheme), and the funds
seem to charge around 25%, and basically, you kissed goodbye
to 80% of your pension.

BBC's "Money Programme" was warning about this...

Well the new rules on SIPS mean I can't get at all of mine even though
I've retired.

Really? Hadn't heard that one.

Save money but not in a pension fund unless you are offered a final
salary scheme or a very large employer contribution.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 15:12:53 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

I was still at university, but, when I worked out what a state pension
would buy,

In the case of the OP I wouldn't like to say that the state pension
will still exist when he gets even half way to retirement age.

It's also important to rebalance the holdings every year. Other

wise
the proportion of the high risk / high return holdings may well

mean
the overall protfolio shifts in risk, hopefully to higher risk

which
you don't want.

This is where it is important to get an independent financial advisor to
match the investments to your aversion to risk.

Key word being independant, don't go toa bank or building society the
advisors there are tied to the products offerered by their employer
which might not be the best for you circumstances.

I would not dream of rebalancing the holdings every year.

Taking a look and seeing how things are going is adviseable, actually
moving stuff about depedns on what you find. If the portfolio is
supposed to be 10% high risk and the actual level is withing a few
percent of that I'd not bother. But if it had risen to 15% I
probably would and definately at 20%.

I fully expect the high risk investments to take a fairly heavy hit at
the beginning and seeing that in black and white (or red) every year
might tempt me to get out of them before the long term gains start to
kick in.

Maybe that indicates that you have more in the high risk category
than you are really comfortable with? High risk to me means
"disposable", ie you can afford to lose it, I wouldn't be happy but
in the grand scheme of things not that critical.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2012 13:00, Rick wrote:

That bonnet was useful once when I drove too fast into a flooded
roadway. I was able to open the bonnet, lift it, dry off the ignition
wires, and drop the bonnet down again, all without getting my feet wet.

My Herald often crapped out after going through a puddle ... must have
been where distributor or coil was situated ... can't remember now.

I remember the big luxury of fitting a stick on heated rear window
demister ... very flash at the time.
If I had that switched on at same time as headlights dynamo couldn't
keep up and battery slowly discharged.

I had one of those too. It can just about be seen in the only photo I
have of the car, although most blokes don't look further than the bonnet
ornament.

http://www.norscreenfilters.co.uk/picture_oddments.html

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 25/02/2012 13:00, Rick wrote:

That bonnet was useful once when I drove too fast into a flooded
roadway. I was able to open the bonnet, lift it, dry off the ignition
wires, and drop the bonnet down again, all without getting my feet wet.

My Herald often crapped out after going through a puddle ... must have
been where distributor or coil was situated ... can't remember now.

I remember the big luxury of fitting a stick on heated rear window
demister ... very flash at the time.
If I had that switched on at same time as headlights dynamo couldn't
keep up and battery slowly discharged.

I had one of those too. It can just about be seen in the only photo I have
of the car, although most blokes don't look further than the bonnet
ornament.

http://www.norscreenfilters.co.uk/picture_oddments.html

I see the rear window demister but I can't see the bonnet ornament, some
bird has her arse on it...

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 28, 3:51*pm, "MuddyMike" wrote:
"Nightjar" wrote in message

On 25/02/2012 13:00, Rick wrote:

That bonnet was useful once when I drove too fast into a flooded
roadway. I was able to open the bonnet, lift it, dry off the ignition
wires, and drop the bonnet down again, all without getting my feet wet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

snip

Well, what a pain finding cheap insurance is!

Quotes for many different cheap 1000cc (or below) cars are coming in at
£5000+ with me as the main driver and registered keeper and my Mum as a
named driver (not the other way round because I will be using the car most!)

However, someone in this thread suggested a van and I am glad they did,
I can get a car derived van* insured for just over £3000. Still very
expensive and I think it's also due to my area which has had a lot of
car vandalism recently (mirrors being ripped off, stereos being nicked
etc), however out of interest, I checked a friends area and it would
only be around the £1650 - £2000 mark which is cheap as far as young
drivers insurance gets.

So not exactly sure what I will do for now, I can get a 31 day bus pass
to get to work which works out at just over £3.40 a day which is
excellent considering the route I will use is around 36 miles each way!

*Vauxhall Corsavan 1.7 diesel. Peugeot Partner HDI and many others all
cost about the same.

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2012 19:02, gremlin_95 wrote:

However, someone in this thread suggested a van and I am glad they
did, I can get a car derived van* insured for just over £3000. Still
very expensive and I think it's also due to my area which has had a
lot of car vandalism recently (mirrors being ripped off, stereos being
nicked etc), however out of interest, I checked a friends area and it
would only be around the £1650 - £2000 mark which is cheap as far as
young drivers insurance gets.

Oh and I won't be using my mates address!

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

gremlin_95 wrote:
snip

this is in reply to a post made in Feb?

Nice retention

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2012 19:44, Phil L wrote:
gremlin_95 wrote:
snip

this is in reply to a post made in Feb?

Nice retention

Sorry I am still getting to grips with using Thunderbird, the thread has
a lot of messages:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...8858d3be639b77

--
David

Rod recommendations... Ned Simmons Metalworking 0 July 7th 11 11:34 PM
Recommendations for tap/die set [email protected] Woodworking 10 July 3rd 10 03:01 AM
Recommendations Jb UK diy 20 September 9th 07 12:35 PM
ROS Recommendations SouthForkSam Woodworking 3 April 10th 05 01:55 AM
RO recommendations EL Home Repair 4 November 28th 03 04:33 PM