Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default First car recommendations?

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 00:17:10 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Davey wrote:
Could you give some more details of this car? Like age and model?
The 100 didn't have a pre-select box.

A little clarification. I could pre-select a change up or down, the
actual change being activated by depressing the 'clutch' pedal.

Yes - that's a preselector box.

If it
was not a 100, but a 90 or something, my apologies, I have always
thought of it as a 100.

The 60,75,80,90,100,105,110 were all post war cars with normal
synchromesh boxes. Apart from the 105R.

I'm not well up on pre-war Rovers - but they tended to be named by
HP, ie 10,12,20,25 etc.

Are you certain it was a Rover?

Absolutely, no doubt about that. The fun part of the pre-selector was
when driving in the country, you could pre-select the up or down, and
then make the change as you approached a bend, or accelerated after a
bend, when you were ready. It was quite nimble, for its size. The
control lever was on the right side of the steering column.
This was certainly the 'Auntie' Rover 75/90/100 body style, and all
black.
Maybe the box was not original? But it seemed to be well integrated.

--
Davey.