EL

Default RO recommendations

I have a drilled well that I draw water from. Testing by the state and
FHA/VA blessed labs show no pathogenic bacteria but I still installed a
UV sterilizer because due to physical considerations my well (although
legal) is closer to septic systems than I'd like. I'd like to install a
single RO filter for odor and salt removal. This RO filter's output
would then supply bathrooms (5 sinks), drinking water faucet only at 3
kitchen sinks, theater sink (1), bar sinks (2), and icemakers (3). I
don't want 14 point of use filters. Plumbing to these locations is not
a problem.

The remainder of the house (higher consumption loads) would not have RO
filtered water.

I have a room in which my pressure tanks, water softener, pH adjuster,
UV sterilizer, water heater and furnace are installed. I'd like to
install this RO filter in the same room to facilitate maintenance.

Any suggestions as to which brands to consider?

Thanks,
Boden

DocWater

An RO is a good idea no matter what your situation is as they remove
nearly everything from your drinking water. Keep in mind that they
tend to make water acidic and this can have negative effects on metal
pipes. Use plastic lines.

The first thing you need to do is decide on how many gallons of water
per day that you will require for these 14 locations. Add it all up
and if it is over 50 gallons per day, you should probably consider a
REO Pure brand RO. They make systems that provide from 75 to 850
gallons per day. You will need to supply your own storage tank though.

If you're under 50 gallons per day, just get one of the new generic
TFC ROs out there. I've seen them for as little as $170.

Check out http://www.watervalue.com/ro.html. You can get a quote from
them on a high capacity REO Pure.

DocWater

[...]

Gary Slusser

"EL" wrote
I have a drilled well that I draw water from. Testing by the state

and
FHA/VA blessed labs show no pathogenic bacteria but I still installed

UV sterilizer because due to physical considerations my well (although
legal) is closer to septic systems than I'd like. I'd like to install

single RO filter for odor and salt removal. This RO filter's output
would then supply bathrooms (5 sinks), drinking water faucet only at 3
kitchen sinks, theater sink (1), bar sinks (2), and icemakers (3). I
don't want 14 point of use filters. Plumbing to these locations is

not
a problem.

An RO should not be used for odor removal. The odor should be identified
and then treated on a POE (point of entry) basis so as to treat all the
water used in the building. That would be done ahead of the UV.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want the cold water at the
bathroom sinks to be treated, correct? I don't support that decision.
First, it will require a large RO and storage tank with repressurization
pump; all with a heavier price tag than needed. Second, RO water should
not be run though copper/galvanized etc. tubing/pipe or most metal
fixtures. If it is, the metals will be damaged (eaten up quickly) and
added to the water, which is a health concern. The drinking water
faucets and icemakers (metal types excluded) is a good idea.

The remainder of the house (higher consumption loads) would not have

RO
filtered water.

I have a room in which my pressure tanks, water softener, pH

adjuster,
UV sterilizer, water heater and furnace are installed. I'd like to
install this RO filter in the same room to facilitate maintenance.

Hopefully the AN filter is ahead of the softener and the UV is the last
online. Your odor control probably should be done after the AN filter
but it depend on what causes the odor.

Any suggestions as to which brands to consider?

No regular household type RO is going to do this job as it's designed.
You either need 'whole house' type RO (a couple thousand dollars) or a
redesign of the job to be done. My advice would be drinking water
faucets at all sinks and utility water from the existing equipment
feeding the sinks. Or said another way, RO water to only the RO drinking
water faucets where needed. The best design for the RO may be to divide
the building into parts and use 2-3 regular large output ROs instead of
one. And I probably would include premate pumps.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Thanks,
Boden