Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default First car recommendations?

In article ,
Frank Erskine wrote:
My dad had a Rover 60, which had a "freewheel", which made it
unnecessary to use the clutch to change gear. Very useful to help you
home if the clutch cable "went" provided that you could roll start
and didn't have to stop during the journey, as I found out when I
looked after (a.k.a. "used") the car whilst Dad was at sea. I'd parked
the car on a hill, fortunately. I left it until a Sunday when there
was little traffic, and managed to drive home, about 10 miles, without
having to stop...

Heck - that must've been ca. 45 years ago :-)

Rovers historically favoured free wheels. Dated from pre synchromesh days
- made changing gear rather easier.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Dave Plowman London SW