Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default First car recommendations?

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 23:54:59 +0000, Davey
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 17:01:39 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Davey wrote:
Wow, a man with understanding of the delights of old cars! I loved
an old Rover 100, which went to whoever in our gang needed a car
for a while, always for £100. It was called Cholmondeley, (pron.
'Chummly), and this fitted the character of the car perfectly.
Pre-selector gearbox, real quarter lights on the doors, dip-switch
on the floor, the way things should be. I wonder where he is now?

Could you give some more details of this car? Like age and model? The
100 didn't have a pre-select box.

A little clarification. I could pre-select a change up or down, the
actual change being activated by depressing the 'clutch' pedal. If it
was not a 100, but a 90 or something, my apologies, I have always
thought of it as a 100. Other than that, and that it was black, and had
worn tan leather seats, I don't have much more information. As I said,
"I wonder where he is now?".

My dad had a Rover 60, which had a "freewheel", which made it
unnecessary to use the clutch to change gear. Very useful to help you
home if the clutch cable "went" provided that you could roll start
and didn't have to stop during the journey, as I found out when I
looked after (a.k.a. "used") the car whilst Dad was at sea. I'd parked
the car on a hill, fortunately. I left it until a Sunday when there
was little traffic, and managed to drive home, about 10 miles, without
having to stop...

Heck - that must've been ca. 45 years ago :-)

--
Frank Erskine