Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT; Arfa's Burger Joint...

"Alan Braggins" wrote in message
In article , Arfa Daily wrote:
"Alan Braggins" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Arfa Daily wrote:
On May 21, 3:47 pm, The Medway
wrote:
I'm interested in how this is going to work once its open Arfa.

What's it's USP?

How is it going to compete with the marketing muscle of McDonalds&
Burger King? Evem Wimpey?
[...]
OK. Lots of comments there. The USP is that it is based on the American
model of such establishments, in that it provides a quality take out
meal,
using only quality ingredients such as CAB burgers. These are cooked on
proper chargrill, which produces a flavour very similar to that of a
charcoal barbecue. There is no need to compete with the likes of Micky
D's
or BK.
[...]
As well as this, there is a similar establishment in a town 15 miles
away,
which recently celebrated 30 years, and we have been going there all
that
time.

Gourmet Burger Kitchen haven't been going that long, but also back up
the
idea that there's more to the burger market than McD and BK. (Being a
franchise changes the marketing situation though.)

There's a GBK near where my daughter attended university in Kingston on
Thames. Oddly, as I like decent burgers, I didn't actually take to their
menu. It was just a tad *too* gourmet for me ... I don't know whether or
not
it is a 'fixed' menu dictated by the franchisers, or whether the
franchisees
are free to alter it to their own tastes. It is the only one I've seen, so
don't know whether the menu varies between individual outlets.

There's a menu on their web site that doesn't make any mention of
individual variation, so I suspect it's fixed centrally:
http://www.gbk.co.uk/menu/burgers/
(Says "100% Aberdeen Angus", I don't know if that's different in practice
from your Certified Angus or not.)

I wasn't trying to suggest you should copy them or become a franchisee,
just another example of burgers that aren't competing directly with
the McDonalds end of things.

Yes, I completely understand that. I was just commenting back on your
comments ... If you see what I mean ... ! :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Alan Braggins" wrote in message

(Says "100% Aberdeen Angus", I don't know if that's different in practice
from your Certified Angus or not.)

In theory it means that they only use meat from Aberdeen Angus cattle.
Certified Angus doesn't mean they use Aberdeen Angus but they may.

Yes, it all gets a bit complicated. Wife went to see a butcher who is a
potential supplier for us, just today. His burgers are made from "100%
Aberdeen Angus Beef", he says, so that may be what we finish up with. We've
taken some samples from him to try.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Alan Braggins" wrote in message

(Says "100% Aberdeen Angus", I don't know if that's different in
practice
from your Certified Angus or not.)

In theory it means that they only use meat from Aberdeen Angus cattle.
Certified Angus doesn't mean they use Aberdeen Angus but they may.

Yes, it all gets a bit complicated. Wife went to see a butcher who is a
potential supplier for us, just today. His burgers are made from "100%
Aberdeen Angus Beef", he says, so that may be what we finish up with.
We've taken some samples from him to try.

Arfa

If he is not Aberdeen Angus bulls-hitting you, they are very fine burgers.

Serve on superior quality crusty rolls...none of yer sickly soft baps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/24/2011 8:42 PM, Derek G. wrote:
On Tue, 24 May 2011 14:34:49 -0700 (PDT), Owain
wrote:

Assuming spinal columns and eyeballs are forbidden (CJD risk), most
likely lungs, mesentery, udders, and gall bladders etc.

And Americans are squeamish about haggis and black pudding ...

IIAC the Americans have something called Pennsylvania Scrabble. Which
AIUI is made of minced guts a bit like haggis without the skin.

Scrapple.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Alan Braggins" wrote in message

(Says "100% Aberdeen Angus", I don't know if that's different in
practice
from your Certified Angus or not.)

In theory it means that they only use meat from Aberdeen Angus cattle.
Certified Angus doesn't mean they use Aberdeen Angus but they may.

Yes, it all gets a bit complicated. Wife went to see a butcher who is a
potential supplier for us, just today. His burgers are made from "100%
Aberdeen Angus Beef", he says, so that may be what we finish up with.
We've taken some samples from him to try.

Arfa

If he is not Aberdeen Angus bulls-hitting you, they are very fine burgers.

Serve on superior quality crusty rolls...none of yer sickly soft baps.

He took her out the back to see them being made. They can do any size we
want, so that's good, and she said that the place was very clean and
'professional'. It's only a small outfit in a large village / small town, so
that's the sort of thing we are looking for - small enough to care and
provide a traceable product of the quality and composition that we need, but
big enough to be able to cope with demand, and not be out of the window on
price. The actual boss wasn't there when they called in on spec yesterday,
so unable to negotiate on price, but if the retail prices for the samples
that they took are anything to go by, it looks promising for a wholesale
price.

We haven't sourced the bun yet. I'm with you on a nice crusty one, but that
is unfortunately not what the great unwashed have come to expect being
wrapped around their burgers ... There are also issues with crusty ones
staying fresh - even over a few hours of service - so I suspect that we will
have to go down the seeded bap route. However, you are right that it
matters. We think just as much as getting the actual burger right, so it is
something that will be under investigation and trial over the next couple of
weeks. We have plenty of local bakers, so again, if we can find one like the
butcher, that may be the way to go.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 May 2011 23:19:13 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

Well there is that. But I'll have more sympathy for vegetarians
("fusspots" in my book), the day that the following is possible: If such
come to eat here, I'm supposed to provide non-meat fare.

"supposed to" you don't *have* to or is meat the *only* fare that you
serve? No roasties, peas, carrots or any other non-meat food? I find
that very hard to believe but that is what you are saying.

Strikes me like the lack of imagination regarding food that many
"meat and two veg" eaters have.

I go to their house - can I expect to be provided with a nice lamb
steak? After all, it's a requirement of my diet.

A *requirement*? So you eat *only* lamb steak? *Nothing* else, that
can't be healthy.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 May 2011 14:33:09 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

What are you going to offer those that don't eat lumps of of

mashed
up dead animal?

Why, a veggy burger, of course !

Sourced with the same care and consideration as the meat versions?
Remember that a vegetarian can eat all of your fare apart from the
meat patties...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2011 14:33:09 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

What are you going to offer those that don't eat lumps of of

mashed
up dead animal?

Why, a veggy burger, of course !

Sourced with the same care and consideration as the meat versions?
Remember that a vegetarian can eat all of your fare apart from the
meat patties...

Not if they fry their chips the proper way, in dripping.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2011-05-24, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 24/05/2011 21:42, chris French wrote:
In message , PeterC
writes

On 2011-05-23, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

On 2011-05-23, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2011 01:51:40 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

It's Certified Angus Beef.

What are you going to offer those that don't eat lumps of of mashed
up dead animal?

Sympathy.

They won't even get that from me. Incredulity perhaps.

Yes, "sympathy" was the wrong word. "Derision", perhaps?

Not eating meat is an unnatural act for an omnivore.

No it isn't.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Or more relevantly, why did He provide us with canine teeth?

Being natural to do something doesn't mean it's unnatural not to.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 May 2011 10:40:22 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
big snip)
So you eat *only* lamb steak? *Nothing* else, that
can't be healthy.

It can be if you also drink Yerba like the Gauchos of Patagonia who
for month on end would eat nothing but lamb and drink nothing but
yerba mate. (pronounced 'ma' as in matter and 'tay' as in the river
with the emphasis on the first syllable) Yerba has masses of minerals
and vitamins you would otherwise absorb from fresh fruit and veg.

The only stuff that will grow naturally in southern Patagonia is a
thorny bush and a high-silicate grass which are useless for humans but
easily consumed by sheep. I had a vegetarian friend who lived in
Patagonia and reckoned eating sheep was the next best thing. (Of
course that might have just been her excuse not to be a strict
vegetarian, but I like the story anyway.)

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 May 2011 11:02:20 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

Sourced with the same care and consideration as the meat versions?
Remember that a vegetarian can eat all of your fare apart from the
meat patties...

Not if they fry their chips the proper way, in dripping.

I wondered how long it would be before some one said that. B-)
Don't forget animal based rennet used to make the cheese as well.

But this is an American Burger Joint, it'll have fries not chips so I
expect vegetable oil for frying. Not much cheese these days uses
animal based rennet either.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-05-23, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

On 2011-05-23, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2011 01:51:40 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

It's Certified Angus Beef.

What are you going to offer those that don't eat lumps of of mashed
up dead animal?

Sympathy.

They won't even get that from me. Incredulity perhaps.

Yes, "sympathy" was the wrong word. "Derision", perhaps?

Not eating meat is an unnatural act for an omnivore.

No it isn't.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Or more relevantly, why did He provide us with canine teeth?

And why don't we chew the cud[1] and have compartmented stomachs?

[1] or worse, indulge in pica like rabbits and koalas.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote:
[snip]

Yes, it all gets a bit complicated. Wife went to see a butcher who is a
potential supplier for us, just today. His burgers are made from "100%
Aberdeen Angus Beef", he says, so that may be what we finish up with.
We've taken some samples from him to try.

Even those are weasel words Arfa. Cow's rectum is 100% beef in the
distorted language of food.

You need him to be specific about the cuts used. He's probably being
accurate and is not intending to deceive, sadly the cowboys use the same
words with the intention to deceive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:

Yes, it all gets a bit complicated. Wife went to see a butcher who is a
potential supplier for us, just today. His burgers are made from "100%
Aberdeen Angus Beef", he says, so that may be what we finish up with. We've
taken some samples from him to try.

Personally I'd go for locally sourced & processed than for an actual cow
type... (As long as your butcher can guarantee consistency - which is
what I presume you'll need when selling stuff) However I know I'm lucky
where I am - with several good farms inside a 10 mile radius and the
abattoir 2 miles away with a good local butcher and more farm shops
and markets than you can shake a cowpat at (Both organic and non organic)

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 May 2011 11:46:33 GMT, Steve Firth wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote:
[snip]

Yes, it all gets a bit complicated. Wife went to see a butcher who is a
potential supplier for us, just today. His burgers are made from "100%
Aberdeen Angus Beef", he says, so that may be what we finish up with.
We've taken some samples from him to try.

Even those are weasel words Arfa. Cow's rectum is 100% beef in the
distorted language of food.

Yes, so beware of Bullring Burgers in a certain city! (I hope that doesn't
actually exist - bit off-putting if so).

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2011 12:00, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Nightjar "cpb"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote in message

The point was quite clear - I stopped eating in a particular
restaurant because of concerns about the safety of the plates they
were using.

How does the unsuitability stack up with butchers' blocks ?

I wouldn't want to eat a meal off one of those either. I am sure that
having run a restuarant, you are well aware of the need to keep raw meat
working surfaces well away from any other foodstuff. The problem I have
with wooden plates is that cannot be guaranteed if some of the food is
bloody meat.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 23 May 2011 14:33:09 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

What are you going to offer those that don't eat lumps of of

mashed
up dead animal?

Why, a veggy burger, of course !

Sourced with the same care and consideration as the meat versions?
Remember that a vegetarian can eat all of your fare apart from the
meat patties...

--
Cheers
Dave.

We will probably use the same veggy burgers that we used at the cafes we
had. We had many veggy customers who came because of the fresh salads that
we did, which included all sorts of beans and such, and the veggy burgers
were very well received by these people. We'll have to see how they do at
being cooked on our grill of course, before being able to make a final
decision on whether we can use them, or have to look for an alternative, but
in principle, yes. As far as we are concerned, they are customers the same
as any other, and we will of course do the best we can to cater for them,
within the limitations of the enterprise's concept.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2011 12:38, Clive George wrote:
On 24/05/2011 09:09, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:

I actually said I choose not to eat somewhere that uses it for plates as
I consider it microbiologically suspect. Given that the food they serve
on it includes bloody steaks, I see no reason to review that decision.

Isn't the problem if it's left? I'll assume the plates are at least
nominally clean, so at worst there's a few bacteria hiding in a cut.

If there are nutrients in that cut too, as is likely, a single bacterium
can become a million in about seven hours.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Williamson" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2011 14:33:09 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

What are you going to offer those that don't eat lumps of of

mashed
up dead animal?
Why, a veggy burger, of course !

Sourced with the same care and consideration as the meat versions?
Remember that a vegetarian can eat all of your fare apart from the
meat patties...

Not if they fry their chips the proper way, in dripping.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

I'd love to, but I doubt these days that we would sell many ... ! When I was
a kid, my local chip shop fried in lard, and his fryers were heated by live
coke fires. He had a pile of coke in the corner of the shop, with a little
hand shovel. Imagine the Elf n Safety and Environmental Health issues that
that would throw up these days ! But the thing is, his chips were the best
you have ever tasted. I think there are two reasons for this. First, the
nice even heat provided by the coke beds, and secondly, the fact that you
can get lard a lot hotter than vegetable oil. This is noticeable when you
cook pancake batter. No matter how much you pre-heat vegetable oil in your
pan, the resulting pancakes always have a slight rubbery 'sogginess' to
them. OTOH, if you heat lard until the pan is smoking, and then pour your
batter in, the resulting pancake is light, mottled golden, and slightly
crispy and lacy around its edges. Yorkshire puddings cook better in lard,
also.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Wed, 25 May 2011 11:02:20 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

Sourced with the same care and consideration as the meat versions?
Remember that a vegetarian can eat all of your fare apart from the
meat patties...

Not if they fry their chips the proper way, in dripping.

I wondered how long it would be before some one said that. B-)
Don't forget animal based rennet used to make the cheese as well.

But this is an American Burger Joint, it'll have fries not chips so I
expect vegetable oil for frying. Not much cheese these days uses
animal based rennet either.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Not all American chips are 'fries'. We are looking at a compromise between
the two. Not exactly bloody great steak chips, but not Mickey D's bootlace
fries either. Something about the size that you get in your typical chip
shop, or that you would buy from the supermarket to put in your home
freezer.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

You could sell 'em to me! I used to go out of my way when I lived in
Hounslow to visit the chippy in Isleworth who still fried his chips in
dripping. Then I went down the road to the other chippy for the fish,
'cos the guy who ran the dripping chippy couldn't fry fish to save his life.

There is a chippy in the Black Country Museum which still uses dripping,
but I've not been there for a while, and forget whether they still use
the coke range.

As for pancakes, you are *so* right.... It's a shame you can't use
non-stick pans for them due to the high temperature needed.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 May 2011 11:46:33 GMT, Steve Firth wrote:

Even those are weasel words Arfa. Cow's rectum is 100% beef in the
distorted language of food.

That must be what Tony Blair eats. You are what you eat after all.

Derek G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On May 25, 4:40 pm, "Nightjar wrote:
.The problem I have
with wooden plates is that cannot be guaranteed if some of the food
is bloody meat.

The only time I've had food poisoning from pizza was where it was
served using those laminated 'wood' serving trays as plates.

My friend said "strange, I had food poisoning last time I ate there
too".

Not a "special sauce" by any chance?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes

On 2011-05-23, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

On 2011-05-23, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2011 01:51:40 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

It's Certified Angus Beef.

What are you going to offer those that don't eat lumps of of mashed
up dead animal?

Sympathy.

They won't even get that from me. Incredulity perhaps.

Yes, "sympathy" was the wrong word. "Derision", perhaps?

Not eating meat is an unnatural act for an omnivore.

No it isn't.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Or more relevantly, why did He provide us with canine teeth?

To pay for the fast car that your dentist drives around

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

I'd love to, but I doubt these days that we would sell many ... !

The fish shop in the Black country museum cooks in beef dripping,
they always have a queue of people waiting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 May 2011 17:15:40 +0100, John Williamson
wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

I use a cast-iron skillet for my pancakes. It makes perfect pancakes
every time and I never have any problem with sticking. Lard of course.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

My other problem at the moment is an electric cooker as I can't afford
to get gas connected. This will be rectified when I move.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1044206 20110525 102309 "Arfa Daily" wrote:

We haven't sourced the bun yet. I'm with you on a nice crusty one, but that
is unfortunately not what the great unwashed have come to expect being
wrapped around their burgers ... There are also issues with crusty ones
staying fresh - even over a few hours of service - so I suspect that we will
have to go down the seeded bap route. However, you are right that it
matters.

Don't forget to cater for those who prefer wholemeal buns ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 May 2011 08:04:08 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

My other problem at the moment is an electric cooker as I can't afford
to get gas connected.

Bottled gas, propane from a large orange cylinder or perhaps an
induction hob?

This will be rectified when I move.

If the move is very soon not worth changing but if it's only a "when
we find somewhere we like" hasten the moving process by doing one of
the above. Induction being the simplest but more expensive will
hasten it more than propane... B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Thu, 26 May 2011 08:04:08 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

My other problem at the moment is an electric cooker as I can't afford
to get gas connected.

Bottled gas, propane from a large orange cylinder or perhaps an
induction hob?

This will be rectified when I move.

If the move is very soon not worth changing but if it's only a "when
we find somewhere we like" hasten the moving process by doing one of
the above. Induction being the simplest but more expensive will
hasten it more than propane... B-)

I haven't been following so this may not be relevant. Some years ago a
works supper evening waited over an hour before being served with some
very under done vegetables.

Cooking was apparently by propane from a permanent tank farm. Prolonged
cold weather may have led to poor vaporisation.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 26 May 2011 08:04:08 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

My other problem at the moment is an electric cooker as I can't afford
to get gas connected.

Bottled gas, propane from a large orange cylinder or perhaps an
induction hob?

No external space to store bottled gas, and about a grand to run mains
gas in from the street last time I checked. I do have a couple of
camping stoves, but no room in the kitchen to use them. I've been
tempted a couple of times by proper French crepe makers, though I've
never got round to buying one.

This will be rectified when I move.

If the move is very soon not worth changing but if it's only a "when
we find somewhere we like" hasten the moving process by doing one of
the above. Induction being the simplest but more expensive will
hasten it more than propane... B-)

Within a couple of months, with a modicum of luck in finding a place I
can afford. I've seen a few that look interesting. The sale's already
been agreed on where I live, with exchange due within a week or so.

When I move, I may be asking a few questions.....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Thu, 26 May 2011 08:04:08 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

My other problem at the moment is an electric cooker as I can't afford
to get gas connected.

Bottled gas, propane from a large orange cylinder or perhaps an
induction hob?

This will be rectified when I move.

If the move is very soon not worth changing but if it's only a "when
we find somewhere we like" hasten the moving process by doing one of
the above. Induction being the simplest but more expensive will
hasten it more than propane... B-)

I haven't been following so this may not be relevant. Some years ago a
works supper evening waited over an hour before being served with some
very under done vegetables.

Cooking was apparently by propane from a permanent tank farm. Prolonged
cold weather may have led to poor vaporisation.

Not if it was actually Propane, that will vapourise down to well below
any temperature I've ever been in. Some gas is sold as a mix of butane
and propane, and that would stop working after long enough below
freezing, as the propane would vapourise, leaving the butane behind.

Cold weather *can* affect the regulators if they're too small for the
job being done. Thank a couple of decades of living in caravans and
boats for knowing that.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 May 2011 16:51:55 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

No matter how much you pre-heat vegetable oil in your pan, the resulting
pancakes always have a slight rubbery 'sogginess' to them. OTOH, if you
heat lard until the pan is smoking,

Peanut oil might go hot enough, olive ceratinly won't, sunflower
isn't bad.

and then pour your batter in, the resulting pancake is light, mottled
golden, and slightly crispy and lacy around its edges. Yorkshire
puddings cook better in lard, also.

Aye, I think its partly having the oil and pan seriously hot and the
heatsource being able to replace that heat quickly. Electric hobs are
pathetic with only a couple of kw and horrendous thermal inertia. A
heavy skillet and steady heat (which you don't really get from the PW
on/off control of most electric hobs) will help. But a thin pan and a
nice 3 or 4 kw gas burner is much better...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 May 2011 11:23:29 +0100, Nick Odell wrote:

The only stuff that will grow naturally in southern Patagonia is a
thorny bush and a high-silicate grass which are useless for humans but
easily consumed by sheep. I had a vegetarian friend who lived in
Patagonia and reckoned eating sheep was the next best thing. (Of
course that might have just been her excuse not to be a strict
vegetarian, but I like the story anyway.)

It would have to be a very strict vegetarian who would starve
themselves to death rather than eat meat... I don't eat meat but if
push came to shove I'll would go out and kill, gut and prepare what
ever I could catch.

Had to kill this morning, a young stoat that the cat had brought in.
She'd got it by the neck and obviously done its spinal cord in
somewhere after the connections to the front legs leave.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2011 08:04, John Williamson wrote:

My other problem at the moment is an electric cooker as I can't afford
to get gas connected. This will be rectified when I move.

Since you're moving, this isn't a helpful comment, but I don't want to
pay the large sum to get mains gas connected, and still have a gas hob.
Bottled gas is the way forwards here - especially with the small amount
of gas a hob uses. Our 13kg cylinders seem to last for ages.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2011 09:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Thu, 26 May 2011 08:04:08 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

My other problem at the moment is an electric cooker as I can't afford
to get gas connected.

Bottled gas, propane from a large orange cylinder or perhaps an
induction hob?

This will be rectified when I move.

If the move is very soon not worth changing but if it's only a "when
we find somewhere we like" hasten the moving process by doing one of
the above. Induction being the simplest but more expensive will
hasten it more than propane... B-)

I haven't been following so this may not be relevant. Some years ago a
works supper evening waited over an hour before being served with some
very under done vegetables.

Cooking was apparently by propane from a permanent tank farm. Prolonged
cold weather may have led to poor vaporisation.

Maybe an issue for large scale commercial cooking, but our hob worked
entirely happily this winter, even on the stupidly cold nights.

Butane is a different matter. Boiling an electric kettle and pouring the
water on the tank helped a lot ISTR. If I'd been in that kitchen with
stoves failing something like that might have happened :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2011 10:02, John Williamson wrote:

about a grand to run mains gas in from the street last time I checked.

Ah - not much then. I'd pay that if it was that cheap for us :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 26, 1:55*pm, Clive George wrote:
On 26/05/2011 10:02, John Williamson wrote:

about a grand to run mains gas in from the street last time I checked.

Ah - not much then. I'd pay that if it was that cheap for us :-)

I paid about £550 to Centrica last year to get two new gas connections
to holiday lets we have. Despite their pipes going in the same trench
they would have done it as two separate jobs if I hadn't pointed out
to them how daft it was.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clive
George writes
[...]

As it was the plant dept. outing you can imagine the backchat just in
earshot of mine host.

regards

--
Tim Lamb