Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WiFi internet connection problem

Hi

I've rented an apartment. There's a wireless internet connection using
Belkin Wireless G router.

The land lord has provided a

userid (landlord's name)
password (some jibberish)
and a passphrase (numeric, length=8)

I'm from India and there we only use a passphrase to connect to an
available wifi network. No other userid or password.

Land lord's not available. It's been two days, and I've not been able
to figure out what to do. I'm using MS Vista as operating system

Please help!

Regards

Mithhil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dividby0 wrote:
Hi

I've rented an apartment. There's a wireless internet connection using
Belkin Wireless G router.

The land lord has provided a

userid (landlord's name)
password (some jibberish)
and a passphrase (numeric, length=8)

I'm from India and there we only use a passphrase to connect to an
available wifi network. No other userid or password.

Userid and password may needed (though I don't know why), but later,
after connection has been established.

Two thoughts:

1. Initially, bypass the router; what sort of connection is offered by
the modem (USB or Ethernet)?

or

2. Has the router any (output) Ethernet ports? If yes, connect to one of
those --- no need for passphrase.

If either succeeds (cable needed), you should be connected to the
internet. But maybe the router and modem are hidden from you.

Land lord's not available. It's been two days, and I've not been able
to figure out what to do. I'm using MS Vista as operating system

Others may wish to comment on any way Vista could be causing difficulties.

Best regards,

Jon C.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 00:33:37 -0800 (PST) someone who may be dividby0
wrote this:-

I've rented an apartment. There's a wireless internet connection using
Belkin Wireless G router.

The land lord has provided a

userid (landlord's name)
password (some jibberish)
and a passphrase (numeric, length=8)

Presumably the router has a modem built in and this is connected to
something. Do the lights on the router indicate that you are
connected to Internet?

If they don't show this, log in to the router, the first two items
are probably for this and see why it hasn't connected. Sort this out
first and then you should be able to access Internet via the wired
ports once the computer is configured properly.

If you don't know how to log into the router find its IP address
from your computer and type that into a web browser while you are
connected via one of the ethernet ports.

If the router is connected then looking in the settings should allow
you to find the name of the radio network it is controlling. Connect
to this network and it should ask you for a passphrase, the last
item. It should then connect and, provided the router is set up
properly, you will connect to Internet.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dividby0 wrote:

I've rented an apartment. There's a wireless internet connection using
Belkin Wireless G router.

The land lord has provided a

userid (landlord's name)
password (some jibberish)
and a passphrase (numeric, length=8)

I'm from India and there we only use a passphrase to connect to an
available wifi network. No other userid or password.

Assuming this is a "normal" WiFi ADSL router then chances are it should
be the same.

Land lord's not available. It's been two days, and I've not been able
to figure out what to do. I'm using MS Vista as operating system

If you browse the available wireless networks can you see it in the
list? If so, tell the computer to connect and try the passphrase.

The user ID and password, may be the user id and password for the ISP
connection - in which case you won't need them if the router is setup
correctly. Alternatively they may be the username and pssword to access
the configuration page for the router.

To find the routers config page, first find your "Default Gateway"
address - you can do this by opening a command prompt and typing IPCONFIG

Then in a web browser enter the address (it will probably start
192.168.x.x). This will either display the page or ask for a username
and password. (which may be what you have above, or the standard default
one for the router, or something different again)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:58:07 +0000, clumsy *******
wrote:

dividby0 wrote:

userid (landlord's name)
password (some jibberish)
and a passphrase (numeric, length=8)

I'm from India and there we only use a passphrase to connect to an
available wifi network. No other userid or password.

my UK wifi connection has a name (SSID) a passphrase and a username
and a password, the latter two are only used to do admin word at the
router website. For connection I find the SSID name in the list of
wireless connections and am prompted for a passphrase, nothing else.
Are you sure you are selecting the correct wireless connection?

You need to know what type of encryption is being used: WEP, WPA or
WPA2.

If you post this & the make/model of your wireless adaptor we might be
able to help more.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 23, 8:33*am, dividby0 wrote:
Hi

I've rented an apartment. There's a wireless internet connection using
Belkin Wireless G router.

The land lord has provided a

userid (landlord's name)
password (some jibberish)
and a passphrase (numeric, length=8)

I'm from India and there we only use a passphrase to connect to an
available wifi network. No other userid or password.

Land lord's not available. It's been two days, and I've not been able
to figure out what to do. I'm using MS Vista as operating system

What "clumsy *******" said but does the landlord also provide the
broadband connection, or are you supposed to do this yourself?

The physical cabling is probably here, but I would have thought
telecoms provision in a rented property was up to the tenant, in the
same way you have to sign up for other services. IE you need to sign
up with an ISP. Otherwise, what's to protect the landlord from
unwanted attention from the authorities, if you start accessing child
porn sites, when the account with the ISP is in his name?

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
dividby0 wrote:
I've rented an apartment. There's a wireless internet connection using
Belkin Wireless G router.

Are you certain it is WiFi and not just a wireless LAN?

The land lord has provided a

userid (landlord's name)
password (some jibberish)
and a passphrase (numeric, length=8)

If it's like my system the first two would be to provide access to the
router. You do this via your browser - http://10.0.0.2 or 192.168.1.245
should bring up the router password box. With a bit of luck it will have a
help file for the rest.

I'm from India and there we only use a passphrase to connect to an
available wifi network. No other userid or password.

Land lord's not available. It's been two days, and I've not been able
to figure out what to do. I'm using MS Vista as operating system

--
*Why is the third hand on the watch called a second hand?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
clumsy ******* wrote:
Are you certain it is WiFi and not just a wireless LAN?

Just when I thought I had the basics of the subject licked, you say
that. Could someone briefly explain the difference?

I just hope there is one. My phone appears to think there is.

--
*Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:20:48 +0000 someone who may be Mark
wrote this:-

You need to know what type of encryption is being used: WEP, WPA or
WPA2.

Vista doesn't need to be told this, it works it out.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 13:14:36 +0000, clumsy ******* wrote:

Are you certain it is WiFi and not just a wireless LAN?

Just when I thought I had the basics of the subject licked, you say
that. Could someone briefly explain the difference?

WiFi is a means of sending computer network signals over a 2.5GHz radio
link.

A wireless LAN is a Local Area Network with nodes connected to each other
without wires. They may, or may not, use "WiFi" for those connections.

Neither really have anything to do with the ability, or not, of being able
to connect to the Internet. Though the term WiFi is (mis)used to mean
"access to the Internet" as in "WiFi Hotspot". Likewise a LAN may or may
not be connected to the internet.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

clumsy ******* wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Just when I thought I had the basics of the subject licked, you say
that. Could someone briefly explain the difference?

I just hope there is one. My phone appears to think there is.

ah, OK.

there are many modulation schemes and at least two different
frequencies..in use. and several different encryption schemes.

Its a wonder any of it works at all!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 23, 12:56*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *dividby0 wrote:

I've rented an apartment. There's a wireless internet connection using
Belkin Wireless G router.

Are you certain it is WiFi and not just a wireless LAN?

The land lord has provided a
userid (landlord's name)
password (some jibberish)
and a passphrase (numeric, length=8)

If it's like my system the first two would be to provide access to the
router. You do this via your browser - *http://10.0.0.2or 192.168.1.245

192.168.2.1 is the default on my Belkin

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"clumsy *******" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Are you certain it is WiFi and not just a wireless LAN?

Just when I thought I had the basics of the subject licked, you say
that. Could someone briefly explain the difference?

A wireless LAN is something you can use.
WiFi is a marketing tool like HDready.
Basically if your wireless LAN bits have the WiFi logo they should work
together at some basic level.
--
all thumbs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 07:52:02 -0800, Man at B&Q wrote:

On Jan 23, 12:56Â*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,
Â* Â*dividby0 wrote:

I've rented an apartment. There's a wireless internet connection
using Belkin Wireless G router.

Are you certain it is WiFi and not just a wireless LAN?

The land lord has provided a
userid (landlord's name)
password (some jibberish)
and a passphrase (numeric, length=8)

If it's like my system the first two would be to provide access to the
router. You do this via your browser - Â*http://10.0.0.2or 192.168.1.245

192.168.2.1 is the default on my Belkin

If we're onto that, 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.254 are also common.

But access to the router shouldn't really be needed for this, if the
landlord has just set up a wireless router as a communal LAN. XP should
be able to spot the network (if it's broadcasting the SSID) and then ask
for the passphrase. An 8 character alphanumeric passphrase indicates that
it's probably WPA (actually WPA-PSK).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

clumsy ******* wrote:
David Hansen wrote:

Presumably the router has a modem built in and this is connected to
something. Do the lights on the router indicate that you are
connected to Internet?

I'm making the assumption the modem and router are in the landlords
flat and the OP is supposed to pick up the wifi, the point made about
illegal site access (child porn) is interesting, I wonder how you
stand with wifi, hotels offer it to guests, they might even let
people use a PC in the foyer, or a friend might use your PC while you
are away, is ownership of the hardware involved proof of guilt?

No, and the scenarios you highlight are frequently cited as reasons why
a prosecution is unsound. In some respects you could argue you are
better off with an unencrypted WiFi (but wireless to wired bridging
disabled so WiFi users can only see the internet and not each other or
the ethernet)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dividby0 wrote:

I've rented an apartment. There's a wireless internet connection
using Belkin Wireless G router.
Are you certain it is WiFi and not just a wireless LAN?

The land lord has provided a
userid (landlord's name)
password (some jibberish)
and a passphrase (numeric, length=8)
If it's like my system the first two would be to provide access to the
router. You do this via your browser - http://10.0.0.2or 192.168.1.245

192.168.2.1 is the default on my Belkin

If we're onto that, 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.254 are also common.

But access to the router shouldn't really be needed for this, if the
landlord has just set up a wireless router as a communal LAN. XP should
be able to spot the network (if it's broadcasting the SSID) and then ask
for the passphrase. An 8 character alphanumeric passphrase indicates that
it's probably WPA (actually WPA-PSK).

If in doubt do a IPCONFIG at the command prompt and look at the default
gateway (assuming that one, you let the wireless adaptor DHCP, and two
the router is configured to allow it (most are by default).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"clumsy *******" wrote in message
.. .
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Are you certain it is WiFi and not just a wireless LAN?

Just when I thought I had the basics of the subject licked, you say
that. Could someone briefly explain the difference?

A wireless LAN is something you can use.
WiFi is a marketing tool like HDready.
Basically if your wireless LAN bits have the WiFi logo they should work
together at some basic level.
--
all thumbs

Quite right Dennis it works "just like that"

apologies to the late great Tommy Cooper)..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dividby0 wrote:
Hi

I've rented an apartment. There's a wireless internet connection using
Belkin Wireless G router.

The land lord has provided a

userid (landlord's name)
password (some jibberish)
and a passphrase (numeric, length=8)

I'm from India and there we only use a passphrase to connect to an
available wifi network. No other userid or password.

Land lord's not available. It's been two days, and I've not been able
to figure out what to do. I'm using MS Vista as operating system

If you only ever have used the pass-phrase, then only use the pass-phrase. The
other details are probably for getting into the router and reconfiguring it
(which you *may* have to do if it is locked onto MAC addresses, i.e. will only
respond to specific pre-defined network cards).

-- Jason
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

You need to know what type of encryption is being used: WEP, WPA or
WPA2.

Vista doesn't need to be told this, it works it out.

I don't know an OS that can't work it out, so no, you don't need to know what
method is being used.

What may be needed though, is the SSID. A router can be set to not broadcast its
SSID, so if you cannot see it in the wireless network browser, then you need to
enter it manually.

-- JJ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
clumsy ******* wrote:
Are you certain it is WiFi and not just a wireless LAN?

Just when I thought I had the basics of the subject licked, you say
that. Could someone briefly explain the difference?

I just hope there is one. My phone appears to think there is.

There is no difference. 'WiFi' is just the marketing name for a standard wirelss
LAN.

-- JJ