wounded horse

Default Toilet connection problem looming

I need to change an old low level flushpipe type toilet that discharges
downwards into a pan connector in the bathroom floor.. The porcelain of the
toilet to be changed faces downwards. I have bought a new close coupled
toilet which discharges horizontally like all modern toilets. The 2nd issue
is that as the close coupled toilet will be nearer the wall, I can't get
onto the floor waste inlet with a 90 degree pan connector on the new WC.
The soil stack is internal and boxed in in the bathroom corner to the left
of the WC as I face it. Am I going to have to remove the boxing off the
soil stack and add a branch to connect off the new toilet sideways?

Set Square

wounded horse wrote:

I need to change an old low level flushpipe type toilet that
discharges downwards into a pan connector in the bathroom floor..
The porcelain of the toilet to be changed faces downwards. I have
bought a new close coupled toilet which discharges horizontally like
all modern toilets. The 2nd issue is that as the close coupled
toilet will be nearer the wall, I can't get onto the floor waste
inlet with a 90 degree pan connector on the new WC. The soil stack is
internal and boxed in in the bathroom corner to the left of the WC as
I face it. Am I going to have to remove the boxing off the soil
stack and add a branch to connect off the new toilet sideways?

As far as I can see, you've got 3 options:

1. Use the existing floor socket with a 90 degree connector on the pan - and
build a box or something to space the cistern out from the wall so that
everything lines up. [Probably the easiest]

2. Move the floor socket nearer to the wall [Are the underfloor pipes clay
or plastic? Is the floor solid or floorboards? - not too bad if its plastic
pipes under floorboards, otherwise probably not on]

3. Blank off the existing floor connection and connect into the stack
instead - involving removing the boxing and inserting a branch. [Bit of a
fun job, that!]

[4. Don't even *think* about a Macerator!]
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Uno Hoo!

"wounded horse" wrote in message
I need to change an old low level flushpipe type toilet that discharges
downwards into a pan connector in the bathroom floor.. The porcelain of
the toilet to be changed faces downwards. I have bought a new close
coupled toilet which discharges horizontally like all modern toilets. The
2nd issue is that as the close coupled toilet will be nearer the wall, I
can't get onto the floor waste inlet with a 90 degree pan connector on the
new WC. The soil stack is internal and boxed in in the bathroom corner to
the left of the WC as I face it. Am I going to have to remove the boxing
off the soil stack and add a branch to connect off the new toilet sideways?

I had exactly this problem when I replaced the toilet bowl and cistern in my
downstairs loo. The floor was solid and I didn't fancy digging it up! First
of all I bought a flexible soil pipe to connect from the horizontal outlet
from the toilet bowl and down into the sewer pipe. This meant that I could
get the cistern as close to the wall as possible. I then bought a sheet of
ply to create a false wall behind the cistern. fixed it to the side walls
with battens and put a shelf across the top. Works a treat and looks just
fine. This was in a narrow downstairs cloakroom where I could insert the
false wall right across between the two walls. If you are doing a similar
job in a wider room then you would have to create some form of box behind
the cistern.

Kev

Andy

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message

"wounded horse" wrote in message
I need to change an old low level flushpipe type toilet that discharges
downwards into a pan connector in the bathroom floor.. The porcelain of
the toilet to be changed faces downwards. I have bought a new close
coupled toilet which discharges horizontally like all modern toilets. The
2nd issue is that as the close coupled toilet will be nearer the wall, I
can't get onto the floor waste inlet with a 90 degree pan connector on the
new WC. The soil stack is internal and boxed in in the bathroom corner to
the left of the WC as I face it. Am I going to have to remove the boxing
off the soil stack and add a branch to connect off the new toilet
sideways?

What about an offset waste adapter? You don't tell us the
amount of misalignment, but if it is a few centimetres an offset adapter
could take it out. Also, there are 90degree
waste adapter pipes, but also swan-necked 90degree waste adapter pipes which
allow you to set a loo further
back than possible with a standard 90 degree adapter.

Andy.

Paul Andrews

"Set Square" wrote in message
wounded horse wrote:

[...]

2 & 3 would be particularly problematic, if as in our house, the soil stack
is made of cast iron..

Paul

[4. Don't even *think* about a Macerator!]
--
Cheers,
Set Square
______

wounded horse

All suggestions are gratefully received. The best suggestion for me is the
one where I create a false wall and shelve the top. Excellent as I have had
to insert a branch into a boxed stack before and it was a horrible job that
took 3 times longer than I thought. Alos, I might have a look at how easy
the floor comes up when I've had a vinyl tile or 3 up and see about moving
the floor fitted soil inlet.

Thanks again