Set Square

Default Toilet connection problem looming

wounded horse wrote:

I need to change an old low level flushpipe type toilet that
discharges downwards into a pan connector in the bathroom floor..
The porcelain of the toilet to be changed faces downwards. I have
bought a new close coupled toilet which discharges horizontally like
all modern toilets. The 2nd issue is that as the close coupled
toilet will be nearer the wall, I can't get onto the floor waste
inlet with a 90 degree pan connector on the new WC. The soil stack is
internal and boxed in in the bathroom corner to the left of the WC as
I face it. Am I going to have to remove the boxing off the soil
stack and add a branch to connect off the new toilet sideways?

As far as I can see, you've got 3 options:

1. Use the existing floor socket with a 90 degree connector on the pan - and
build a box or something to space the cistern out from the wall so that
everything lines up. [Probably the easiest]

2. Move the floor socket nearer to the wall [Are the underfloor pipes clay
or plastic? Is the floor solid or floorboards? - not too bad if its plastic
pipes under floorboards, otherwise probably not on]

3. Blank off the existing floor connection and connect into the stack
instead - involving removing the boxing and inserting a branch. [Bit of a
fun job, that!]

[4. Don't even *think* about a Macerator!]
--
Cheers,
Set Square