Posted to uk.d-i-y
PCPaul PCPaul is offline

Default WiFi internet connection problem

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 07:52:02 -0800, Man at B&Q wrote:

On Jan 23, 12:56Â*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,
Â* Â*dividby0 wrote:

I've rented an apartment. There's a wireless internet connection
using Belkin Wireless G router.

Are you certain it is WiFi and not just a wireless LAN?

The land lord has provided a
userid (landlord's name)
password (some jibberish)
and a passphrase (numeric, length=8)

If it's like my system the first two would be to provide access to the
router. You do this via your browser - Â*http://10.0.0.2or 192.168.1.245

192.168.2.1 is the default on my Belkin

If we're onto that, 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.254 are also common.

But access to the router shouldn't really be needed for this, if the
landlord has just set up a wireless router as a communal LAN. XP should
be able to spot the network (if it's broadcasting the SSID) and then ask
for the passphrase. An 8 character alphanumeric passphrase indicates that
it's probably WPA (actually WPA-PSK).