Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan Campbell Jonathan Campbell is offline

Default WiFi internet connection problem

dividby0 wrote:
Hi

I've rented an apartment. There's a wireless internet connection using
Belkin Wireless G router.

The land lord has provided a

userid (landlord's name)
password (some jibberish)
and a passphrase (numeric, length=8)

I'm from India and there we only use a passphrase to connect to an
available wifi network. No other userid or password.

Userid and password may needed (though I don't know why), but later,
after connection has been established.

Two thoughts:

1. Initially, bypass the router; what sort of connection is offered by
the modem (USB or Ethernet)?

or

2. Has the router any (output) Ethernet ports? If yes, connect to one of
those --- no need for passphrase.

If either succeeds (cable needed), you should be connected to the
internet. But maybe the router and modem are hidden from you.

Land lord's not available. It's been two days, and I've not been able
to figure out what to do. I'm using MS Vista as operating system

Others may wish to comment on any way Vista could be causing difficulties.

Best regards,

Jon C.