Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WiFi internet connection problem

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 13:14:36 +0000, clumsy ******* wrote:

Are you certain it is WiFi and not just a wireless LAN?

Just when I thought I had the basics of the subject licked, you say
that. Could someone briefly explain the difference?

WiFi is a means of sending computer network signals over a 2.5GHz radio
link.

A wireless LAN is a Local Area Network with nodes connected to each other
without wires. They may, or may not, use "WiFi" for those connections.

Neither really have anything to do with the ability, or not, of being able
to connect to the Internet. Though the term WiFi is (mis)used to mean
"access to the Internet" as in "WiFi Hotspot". Likewise a LAN may or may
not be connected to the internet.

--
Cheers
Dave.