Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default WiFi internet connection problem

dividby0 wrote:

I've rented an apartment. There's a wireless internet connection using
Belkin Wireless G router.

The land lord has provided a

userid (landlord's name)
password (some jibberish)
and a passphrase (numeric, length=8)

I'm from India and there we only use a passphrase to connect to an
available wifi network. No other userid or password.

Assuming this is a "normal" WiFi ADSL router then chances are it should
be the same.

Land lord's not available. It's been two days, and I've not been able
to figure out what to do. I'm using MS Vista as operating system

If you browse the available wireless networks can you see it in the
list? If so, tell the computer to connect and try the passphrase.

The user ID and password, may be the user id and password for the ISP
connection - in which case you won't need them if the router is setup
correctly. Alternatively they may be the username and pssword to access
the configuration page for the router.

To find the routers config page, first find your "Default Gateway"
address - you can do this by opening a command prompt and typing IPCONFIG

Then in a web browser enter the address (it will probably start
192.168.x.x). This will either display the page or ask for a username
and password. (which may be what you have above, or the standard default
one for the router, or something different again)

--
Cheers,

John.