Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default WiFi internet connection problem

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 00:33:37 -0800 (PST) someone who may be dividby0
wrote this:-

I've rented an apartment. There's a wireless internet connection using
Belkin Wireless G router.

The land lord has provided a

userid (landlord's name)
password (some jibberish)
and a passphrase (numeric, length=8)

Presumably the router has a modem built in and this is connected to
something. Do the lights on the router indicate that you are
connected to Internet?

If they don't show this, log in to the router, the first two items
are probably for this and see why it hasn't connected. Sort this out
first and then you should be able to access Internet via the wired
ports once the computer is configured properly.

If you don't know how to log into the router find its IP address
from your computer and type that into a web browser while you are
connected via one of the ethernet ports.

If the router is connected then looking in the settings should allow
you to find the name of the radio network it is controlling. Connect
to this network and it should ask you for a passphrase, the last
item. It should then connect and, provided the router is set up
properly, you will connect to Internet.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh