Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ice maker connection problem

I have a Fridgidaire top-freezer fridge with an icemaker. I recently
tried to hook up the ice maker, but when I examined the cold water
connection at the bottom of the unit, instead of the 1/4 inch
connection I expected to find, there was a male garden hose connection
- just like for a washing machine.

The manual is useless as it shows a completely different setup.

Is there any way I can adapt this for a standard ice maker connection
kit?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

pupdef wrote:
I have a Fridgidaire top-freezer fridge with an icemaker. I recently
tried to hook up the ice maker, but when I examined the cold water
connection at the bottom of the unit, instead of the 1/4 inch
connection I expected to find, there was a male garden hose connection
- just like for a washing machine.

The manual is useless as it shows a completely different setup.

Is there any way I can adapt this for a standard ice maker connection
kit?

Post a picture. I wanta see this. It might be you're misunderstand the
connection.

--
Zyp

Posted to alt.home.repair

"pupdef" wrote in message
I have a Fridgidaire top-freezer fridge with an icemaker. I recently
tried to hook up the ice maker, but when I examined the cold water
connection at the bottom of the unit, instead of the 1/4 inch
connection I expected to find, there was a male garden hose connection
- just like for a washing machine.

The manual is useless as it shows a completely different setup.

Is there any way I can adapt this for a standard ice maker connection
kit?

Something is wrong or missing. Did you recently buy this unit? Call your
dealer

From the Frigidaire instructions:
Before Installing The Water Supply Line, You Will Need

.. Basic Tools: adjustable wrench, flat-blade screwdriver, and PhillipsTM
screwdriver

.. Access to a household cold water line with water pressure between 20 and
120 psi.

.. A water supply line made of ¼ inch (6.4 mm) OD, copper tubing. To
determine the length of copper tubing needed,

you will need to measure the distance from the ice maker inlet valve at the
back of the refrigerator to your cold water

pipe. Then add approximately 7 feet (2.1 meters), so the refrigerator can be
moved out for cleaning (as shown).

.. A shutoff valve to connect the water supply line to your household water
system. DO NOT use a self-piercing type

shutoff valve.

.. A compression nut and ferrule (sleeve) for connecting the water supply
line to the ice maker inlet valve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 12:18:22 -0800, "Zyp" wrote:

pupdef wrote:
I have a Fridgidaire top-freezer fridge with an icemaker. I recently
tried to hook up the ice maker, but when I examined the cold water
connection at the bottom of the unit, instead of the 1/4 inch
connection I expected to find, there was a male garden hose connection
- just like for a washing machine.

The manual is useless as it shows a completely different setup.

Is there any way I can adapt this for a standard ice maker connection
kit?

Post a picture. I wanta see this. It might be you're misunderstand the
connection.

Not the OP, but: http://www.manbottle.com/pictures/redneck_yacht.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

pupdef wrote:
I have a Fridgidaire top-freezer fridge with an icemaker. I recently
tried to hook up the ice maker, but when I examined the cold water
connection at the bottom of the unit, instead of the 1/4 inch
connection I expected to find, there was a male garden hose connection
- just like for a washing machine.

The manual is useless as it shows a completely different setup.

Is there any way I can adapt this for a standard ice maker connection
kit?

You have confused your refrigerator with a water heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 15:10:22 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

pupdef wrote:
I have a Fridgidaire top-freezer fridge with an icemaker. I recently
tried to hook up the ice maker, but when I examined the cold water
connection at the bottom of the unit, instead of the 1/4 inch
connection I expected to find, there was a male garden hose connection
- just like for a washing machine.

The manual is useless as it shows a completely different setup.

Is there any way I can adapt this for a standard ice maker connection
kit?

You have confused your refrigerator with a water heater.

No, at the bottom of his unit, he found a garden hose connection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

pupdef wrote:
I have a Fridgidaire top-freezer fridge with an icemaker. I recently
tried to hook up the ice maker, but when I examined the cold water
connection at the bottom of the unit, instead of the 1/4 inch
connection I expected to find, there was a male garden hose connection
- just like for a washing machine.

The manual is useless as it shows a completely different setup.

Is there any way I can adapt this for a standard ice maker connection
kit?

Post a picture. I wanta see this. It might be you're misunderstand the
connection.

Not the OP, ...

Or even on topic, but funny nonetheless.

- Rodger

--

READ CAREFULLY. By reading the above message and/or this disclaimer,
you agree to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from
immediate and extended family, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my
ongoing rights and privileges.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had one like this once. The hose fitting was on the side of the
water valve. The installation kit provided an adapter to 1/4" feed
tube. I assumed that the hose fitting was so that connect/disconnect
could be done quickly. BTW, get the re-enforced plastic 1/4" hose, or
else 1/4" copper tube. The other stuff will "cook" and burst at the
most inconvenient time!
Posted to alt.home.repair

pupdef wrote:
I have a Fridgidaire top-freezer fridge with an icemaker. I
recently tried to hook up the ice maker, but when I examined the
cold water connection at the bottom of the unit, instead of the 1/4
inch connection I expected to find, there was a male garden hose
connection - just like for a washing machine.

The manual is useless as it shows a completely different setup.

Is there any way I can adapt this for a standard ice maker
connection kit?

You have confused your refrigerator with a water heater.

No, at the bottom of his unit, he found a garden hose connection.

Right. It's a water heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

pupdef wrote:
I have a Fridgidaire top-freezer fridge with an icemaker. I
recently tried to hook up the ice maker, but when I examined the
cold water connection at the bottom of the unit, instead of the 1/4
inch connection I expected to find, there was a male garden hose
connection - just like for a washing machine.

The manual is useless as it shows a completely different setup.

Is there any way I can adapt this for a standard ice maker
connection kit?

You have confused your refrigerator with a water heater.

No, at the bottom of his unit, he found a garden hose connection.

Right. It's a water heater.

My g.f.'s fridge has the garden hose connector, too. The OP needs to go
the hardware store and find an adapter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 24, 3:03 pm, pupdef wrote:
I have a Fridgidaire top-freezer fridge with an icemaker. I recently
tried to hook up the ice maker, but when I examined the cold water
connection at the bottom of the unit, instead of the 1/4 inch
connection I expected to find, there was a male garden hose connection
- just like for a washing machine.

The manual is useless as it shows a completely different setup.

Is there any way I can adapt this for a standard ice maker connection
kit?

Here is a link to a picture of what I have:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pupdef/IcemakerConnection
Posted to alt.home.repair

"pupdef" wrote in message
On Nov 24, 3:03 pm, pupdef wrote:
I have a Fridgidaire top-freezer fridge with an icemaker. I recently
tried to hook up the ice maker, but when I examined the cold water
connection at the bottom of the unit, instead of the 1/4 inch
connection I expected to find, there was a male garden hose connection
- just like for a washing machine.

The manual is useless as it shows a completely different setup.

Is there any way I can adapt this for a standard ice maker connection
kit?

Here is a link to a picture of what I have:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pupdef/IcemakerConnection

I've never seen one like that. The instructions don't mention anything
about needing an adapter, but evidently you do. Could it be a connector is
missing from the factory? I'd at least ask the dealer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have seen a lot of valves with that type of connection. I guess they
were on fairly old valves, and not used much anymore. It shouldn't be
hard to find fittings to adapt at HD, Lowes or a hardware store. You
will probably have to use two-- one from hose to pipe thread, and
another from pipe to compresssion. Like Chris/Stormin Mormon, I am sure
I have at least one around somewhere, so if you absolutely can't find
what you need, EMail me and I'll see if I can find one. Larry