Posted to alt.home.repair
Myrna

Default Need advice on problem with ice maker

I have a Whirlpool side by side refrigerator with an ice maker. Lately
I've noticed that the ice cubes are hollow! It's really odd. We know a
repair call is probably in order unless we can figure out if there's
some minor problem with the mechanism. But we just can't figure what
would cause the cubes to be hollow.

The only other problem is that the water dispenser is slower than it
should be. Perhaps there is something clogging the water line.

Can a slow water line cause hollow ice cubes? Is there anything minor
we can do ourselves before making a service call?

Thanks,
Myrna

Posted to alt.home.repair

clogged water filter, or line obstruction like a kink, outside chance
of a bad solenoid valve.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Myrna

This makes sense. How do I find the water filter?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

Myrna wrote:
I have a Whirlpool side by side refrigerator with an ice maker. Lately
I've noticed that the ice cubes are hollow! It's really odd. We know a
repair call is probably in order unless we can figure out if there's
some minor problem with the mechanism. But we just can't figure what
would cause the cubes to be hollow.

The only other problem is that the water dispenser is slower than it
should be. Perhaps there is something clogging the water line.

Can a slow water line cause hollow ice cubes? Is there anything minor
we can do ourselves before making a service call?

Thanks,
Myrna

I just had the same problem and it was the "water inlet valve" cost
about $12.

Heres a pic
http://groups.msn.com/Appliantology/...to&PhotoID=107

Like the other poster said, IF you have a filter it needs to be the
first thing checked, it should be on the back of the fridge connected
to the water line.

Also check for a kinked water line, not likely unless the fridge has
been moved.