Who Me?

Default Arcoaire RPJ furnace problem, need advice

I have an Arcoaire RPJ heat-exchanger that I just recently had
serviced for cleaning. The inspector cleaned the unit, but noticed
that the fan comes on unusually late (around 2 minutes). He told me
that the normal time is around 30 seconds, but that the temperature
probe did not kick the fan on until 2 minutes. After the fan kicks
on, the heat exchanger temperature continues to rise until it reaches
a threshold point to turn off the burners (a safety measure). This
happens rather quickly.

He thought that this might be an indication of bad circulation, so we
opened any closed vents, and removed the filter to get the maximum
airflow. Still, the heat threshold was reached. We then turned on
the fan on the thermostat (this is the maximum fan setting). This
allowed more air to flow through the exchanger, but the temperature
within the heat exchanger was increasing, albeit slowly.

The inspector thought that the problem could be one of 2 things:

a) The heat ducts are undersized. or
b) the furnace is too big for my unit.

I was describing my situation with some friends at lunch, who thought
I should get another opinion on the matter. I will contact another
furnance repair place shortly.

Does anyone here have an indication as to what the problem could be?

..p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 19:33:46 -0500, Who Me?
wrote:

I have an Arcoaire RPJ heat-exchanger that I just recently had

DOn't x-post this **** to alt.hvac.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Tekkie®

Who Me? posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

[...]

Certainly
--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don't know and I don't care...

Tekkie
Anthony Berlin

How do you know the fan limit switch isn't inaccurate, they do fail, did the
"inspector" verify the accuracy of the F/L ?

"Who Me?" wrote in message
[...]

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Dr. Hardcrab

wrote:

I have an Arcoaire RPJ heat-exchanger that I just recently had

DOn't x-post this **** to alt.hvac.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

I don't why, but I get a chuckle everytime I see this, Paul.

First you say "Don't do this ****!"

and then

"Oh! By the way! Help some cute little bunnies and kittens that are
hungry!!!"

Kind of like going up to someone, kicking them in the nuts, and SINCERELY
smiling and saying "Have a nice day!!!"

;-]

Stormin Mormon

At this point, with this description I am sensing two different problems.
One mentioned in the OP post, and one not mentioned.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Steve Scott" wrote in message
Assuming the temp rise is excessive, he did check the temp rise,
right? It's either a, b or both.

wrote:

[...]

Politicians and diapers need changing
often for similar reasons.

Matt

"At this point, with this description I am sensing two different
problems. "

Who are you, counselor Troi?
Or are you vulcan? Do you meld with HVAC equipment over the internet to
sense it's problems?

Anyway everyone knows what problems you are going to say need fixed:

1) A used, incorrectly sized capacitor must be installed somewhere,
probably someplace behind the thermostat.
2) A circuit breaker - ANY circuit breaker, needs to be replaced with a
different brand, chooped up and then crammed back in the service panel.

Duh.

Mark

Who Me? wrote:
[...]

did it always do this or did it just start?

how many BTU/Hr is the furnace rating?

how many CFM is the blower rating?

is it an oil furnace or gas?

Mark

Who Me?

did it always do this or did it just start?

I suspect that this was always the case, but never monitored it
closely. I always knew that the lower level of the house heated
faster than the upper level. That is why I had closed the vents
on the lower level to attempt to force heat upwards. This may have
been more hurtful in the long run, especially if it choked the airflow
somehow.

how many BTU/Hr is the furnace rating?

100K BTU for about ~1600 sq ft house unit.

how many CFM is the blower rating?

Unknown

is it an oil furnace or gas?

Natural gas unit.

I also have a Honeywell L4604 fan controller. I tried checking the
internet to see if these fan controllers have a history of bad
temperature readings. I couldn't see anything that would indicate a
particular defect in the Honeywell L4604 product.

On 18 Oct 2005 19:53:44 -0700, "Mark" wrote:

Who Me? wrote:
[...]

Oscar_Lives

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
"At this point, with this description I am sensing two different
problems. "

Who are you, counselor Troi?
Or are you vulcan? Do you meld with HVAC equipment over the internet to
sense it's problems?

Anyway everyone knows what problems you are going to say need fixed:

1) A used, incorrectly sized capacitor must be installed somewhere,
probably someplace behind the thermostat.
2) A circuit breaker - ANY circuit breaker, needs to be replaced with a
different brand, chooped up and then crammed back in the service panel.

Duh.

Stormin is studying under the Amazing Kreskin. He is so good at telepathy
that he doesn't even let Kreskin know that he is reading his thoughts.

Ever notice how psychics never advertise their conventions?

TURTLE

wrote:

I have an Arcoaire RPJ heat-exchanger that I just recently had

DOn't x-post this **** to alt.hvac.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

I don't why, but I get a chuckle everytime I see this, Paul.

First you say "Don't do this ****!"

and then

"Oh! By the way! Help some cute little bunnies and kittens that are hungry!!!"

Kind of like going up to someone, kicking them in the nuts, and SINCERELY
smiling and saying "Have a nice day!!!"

;-]

This is turtle.

Now that was not nice to kick Paul's Pussey like that !

TURTLE

TURTLE

"Who Me?" wrote in message
[...]

This is Turtle.

For a service man that has been serviceing your system yearly, this is not right
at all. By what you said above it could be 6 different things but coulkd be not
enogh air flow but could be caused by a dirty filter, evaperator coil, or weak
capasitor which lets fan motor run too slow and cut out on high temperature
limit switch.

Now i think it is the fan control that is the problem by waiting 2 minutes
before coming on. new type electric relay and old unit a phyical type Fan /
Limit control that is bad.

What you said above does not fit as to knowing it to be one answer. What you
said stated 2 problem atleast.

TURTLE

udarrell

Tekkie® wrote:

[...]

If it does not have an adjustable fan and limit switch (maximum limit
too, of course), I would install one. (?)
If you can see the temp climbing it probably has an adjustable fan and
limit switch. (?)
What temperature is the limit switch set at? (If limit is adjustable, it
may also be set too low.)

The fan coming on late is not causing the temp to continue to climb and
trip the limit.
Reset it, if possible, to come on at a lower temp.
If you set the kick-on too low, and the kick-off not low enough, the
blower will short-run-recycle several times.

It appears there is not enough CFM airflow.
This could be caused by a number of things:
if it has one, a lint blocked evaporator coil. lint clogged blower wheel
blades, bad blower motor or run cap if PSC motor, poor ductwork design,
etc.
Correct any, and/or all of these problems first, and then make the
proper fan and limit control adjustments.

http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html

http://www.udarrell.com/external_sta..._readings.html

udarrell - Darrell

--
SERVICING OIL FURNACES
http://www.udarrell.com/air_conditio...n caster.html
m Ransley

Gees, get a heat pro, one that knows that equipment, mine comes on
after apx 1.5 minutes and it is working normal for my unit.

..p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 02:04:03 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I have an Arcoaire RPJ heat-exchanger that I just recently had

DOn't x-post this **** to alt.hvac.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

I don't why, but I get a chuckle everytime I see this, Paul.

First you say "Don't do this ****!"

and then

"Oh! By the way! Help some cute little bunnies and kittens that are
hungry!!!"

Kind of like going up to someone, kicking them in the nuts, and SINCERELY
smiling and saying "Have a nice day!!!"

;-]

You see a disparity there ? :-)

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Carolina Breeze HVAC

"Who Me?" wrote in message
[...]

So...he didnt bother to check the fire rate obviously...

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Cooltemp Industries

"TURTLE" wrote

Now that was not nice to kick Paul's Pussey like that !

Turd-le starts trouble once again.
TURTLE

"Cooltemp Industries " wrote in message
. 97.142...
"TURTLE" wrote

Now that was not nice to kick Paul's Pussey like that !

Turd-le starts trouble once again.

This is Turtle.

I correct a poster to not talk bad about Paul's pusseys and you call me a
trouble maker !

TURTLE