user

Default Advice on mold problem

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:16:11 -0400, miamicuse wrote:
Interested in a property but my agent told me it was previously listed, went
into pending sale and now listed again. When we pressed for the reason the
listing realtor told us the previous buyer had an inspection which found a
serious mold problem and the estimated cost of clearing the mold was about
$20000. This is a $600000 house in Miami area. The owner may be more
receptive to a price reduction now.

The rest of the house look good to me, I can't tell there is a mold problem,
was not very knowledgeable about molds. I did a search on the net and it
scared the heck out of me. I did not ask to see the inspection report, but
I was cusious if mold is a real serious issue. If there is a mold problem,
can it really be cleaned up or is this more than likely a more serious
underlying moisture problem, or something not draining or internal leak of
some sort? What is involved in clearing up molds? Ripping out and
replacing all the walls?

If the owner is willing to pay for the mold removal, should it be
acceptable? I mean, let's say a house has a deteriorating roof and it will
cost $30000 to replace the roof, I know after the replacement, the roof will
be good for another 15 to 20 years. But will clearing molds be an expensive
but persistent problem?

Just for kicks, try calling a House Insurance agent, and ask
whether they'll insure a house with a history of mold.

And if they say yes, then ask how much it will cost. You
might be, uh, surprised.

- Rich
Fred

wrote:
[...]

Don't even try this as some agents presume that you have mold and jack up
your premium or even drop you. Asking questions could get your policy
cancel.