Posted to alt.home.repair
Arthur

Default Recurring GE Ice maker problem; help

If I call GE for service, under an extended service contract, I fear
they will try to solve my problem by installing yet another (#4 in 6
years) ice maker without really diagnosing the problem. The current ice
maker is 3 years old and has just begun to show symptoms similar to
those of the previous unit, although the current one is of a very
different design from the previous ones. The current unit is the
so-called "electronic" variety with apparently more sophisticated
methods of monitoring fill, condition of the ejector, heater, etc. (It
is GE middle IM-4). The symptom is that it appears to overfill, very
slightly, so that, in addition to the cubes, I will find an increasingly
large puddle of frozen water in the ice bin in the area under the fill
tube. The unit is side wall mounted in a bottom, drawer type freezer,
making it nearly impossible to feel and observe in action, and the
freezer door must be removed to re-install or examine it closely. In
action, it appears otherwise to work as designed, spitting out cubes
about every 1 and 1/2 hours, the fill time is presumably correct, 5
sec., and when I have actuarially managed to see what is happening when
it fills, I see nothing out of the ordinary. I plan to "defrost" this
frost free freezer to see if perhaps some little ice chunk somewhere
might be causing the problem, but since that trick did not work with the
previous ice makers, I am not hopeful. The symptoms would seem to not
be unique to me, but I am not optimistic for a magic answer from GE
other than yet another replacement, and more mangled screw heads on the
door mounts. Does anyone have any insights???

Thank in advance
Art drartieAtattd0tnet
Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Mon, 15 May 2006 18:47:47 GMT, Arthur wrote:

[...]

My thought is that maybe the ice maker is positioned poorly, bound in
a manner the shut off is not figuring things out. Shame the door has
to come off.

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Arthur wrote:

[...]

Do you have city water? Backflow preventer at the water meter? No
expansion tank? It's been noted before how these conditions can cause
pressure spikes and leakage from the T&P valve on the hot water heater.
Possibly you have this condition, but the valve in the ice maker is the
path of least resistance allowing the water heater expansion to force
some extra water out into the ice maker? It's a bit of a long shot, but
if your on the 3rd ice maker it's worth checking.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
HarryS

When you had the replacement icemakers installed, did they also install a
new water valve?

Harry

"Arthur" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Arthur wrote:

maker is 3 years old and has just begun to show symptoms similar to
those of the previous unit, although the current one is of a very
different design from the previous ones. The current unit is the
so-called "electronic" variety with apparently more sophisticated
methods of monitoring fill, condition of the ejector, heater, etc. (It
is GE middle IM-4). The symptom is that it appears to overfill, very
slightly, so that, in addition to the cubes, I will find an increasingly
large puddle of frozen water in the ice bin in the area under the fill
tube.

Are there calcium deposits in the icemaker section, causing the
ice to not eject completely during the ejection cycle? Wouldn't
take much residue left in the tray to cause an overfill.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair
Arthur

Oren wrote:
On Mon, 15 May 2006 18:47:47 GMT, Arthur wrote:

If I call GE for service, under an extended service contract, I fear
they will try to solve my problem by installing yet another (#4 in 6
years) ice maker without really diagnosing the problem.

My thought is that maybe the ice maker is positioned poorly, bound in
a manner the shut off is not figuring things out. Shame the door has
to come off.

Oren

It's a possibility I've considered, since the drip is consistently in
one corner location. The unit has connectors like a keyhole arrangement
which slide onto 2 studs in the wall. I had considered a misalignment as
possible and will check further ---recall that it's a nightmare to get
close to it. Thanks

Art
Posted to alt.home.repair
Arthur

Pete C. wrote:

Arthur wrote:

If I call GE for service, under an extended service contract, I fear
they will try to solve my problem by installing yet another (#4 in 6
years) ice maker without really diagnosing the problem.

Do you have city water? Backflow preventer at the water meter? No
expansion tank? It's been noted before how these conditions can cause
pressure spikes and leakage from the T&P valve on the hot water heater.
Possibly you have this condition, but the valve in the ice maker is the
path of least resistance allowing the water heater expansion to force
some extra water out into the ice maker? It's a bit of a long shot, but
if your on the 3rd ice maker it's worth checking.

Pete C.

Verrrry interesting. City water, yes. Backflow preventer / expansion
tank, no. AND, the tap (an actual plumbing connection, not saddle valve)
for the icemaker water line is on the cold water supply just before it
goes to the heater, and I know we have very high water pressure compared
to many locations. I'm not sure what to do to check this out other than
paying for installation of the missing items..Thanks, Art
Posted to alt.home.repair
Arthur

HarryS wrote:

When you had the replacement icemakers installed, did they also install a
new water valve?

Harry

Not the last time! In view of other comments, I suppose that a subtle
drip could be occurring, especially since our city water system is old,
and frequently being shut off for main repairs, followed by a surge of
rusty water, staining some whate clothes in the washer only today.
(Thanks to a 1:16 oxalic acid : water soak I saved some undershorts
which resembled a digestive accident I imagine I will end up with a
service call and new unit under the extended warranty. I'll demand a new
valve, which I know is packed in the kit. Many thanks

Art
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edward Grant

In article ,
Arthur wrote:

[...]

I have a GE Profile bottom drawer freezer refrigerator. When I first
got it a couple of years ago I had a problem with a puddle of frozen
water on the bottom if the drawer. It was still in warranty and they
sent a repairman out to replace the unit. Since then that hasn't
happened. But some of the cubes, but not all, are attached at the top
as if it was still overfilling a little. The manual says this is
normal so I just put up with it. It's not really that much of a problem
unless you just want a couple of cubes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Arthur

Edward Grant wrote:

I have a GE Profile bottom drawer freezer refrigerator. When I first
got it a couple of years ago I had a problem with a puddle of frozen
water on the bottom if the drawer. It was still in warranty and they
sent a repairman out to replace the unit. Since then that hasn't
happened. But some of the cubes, but not all, are attached at the top
as if it was still overfilling a little. The manual says this is
normal so I just put up with it. It's not really that much of a problem
unless you just want a couple of cubes.

Mine is a GE Profile, 2001 vintage. I often have "connected" cubes that
do not concern me at all, either. The "puddle", however, annoys me,
since I do not think it should occur. It's intermittent, and may
possibly be related to surges or over-pressure of the water (see thread
above). What the heck, if it gets worse, I'll call them before the
warranty expires. It is said that the electronic models are much more
reliable. THese can be identified by the presence of an on-off switch on
the unit, a green LED trouble light, and a plastic paddle that retracts
inward instead of a wire to monitor the collection of cubes.

THanks for your response. Art drartieatattd0tnet
Posted to alt.home.repair
HarryS

As mentioned, high water pressure can cause your problem, either from
pressure build-up caused by your water heater or very high water pressure in
your area. The valves have an internal orifice that limits the amount of
water that enters the icemaker during the timing interval. The orifice is
sized for normal water pressures. Overly high water pressure, no matter
what the underlying cause, can defeat the purpose of the orifice. These are
solenoid operated valves and, as such, have to apply enough spring pressure
to the port to keep them positively closed against the water's pressure. If
the water pressure is high, it can overcome the spring pressure of the seal
and cause the valve to seep slightly. Also, anything that might increase
the diameter of the orifice can cause excessive water delivery to the
icemaker.

Normally, when you get a new icemaker, you should also get a new water valve
since the water valve is a higher failure item for icemakers.

Harry