Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
Arthur

Default Recurring GE Ice maker problem; help

If I call GE for service, under an extended service contract, I fear
they will try to solve my problem by installing yet another (#4 in 6
years) ice maker without really diagnosing the problem. The current ice
maker is 3 years old and has just begun to show symptoms similar to
those of the previous unit, although the current one is of a very
different design from the previous ones. The current unit is the
so-called "electronic" variety with apparently more sophisticated
methods of monitoring fill, condition of the ejector, heater, etc. (It
is GE middle IM-4). The symptom is that it appears to overfill, very
slightly, so that, in addition to the cubes, I will find an increasingly
large puddle of frozen water in the ice bin in the area under the fill
tube. The unit is side wall mounted in a bottom, drawer type freezer,
making it nearly impossible to feel and observe in action, and the
freezer door must be removed to re-install or examine it closely. In
action, it appears otherwise to work as designed, spitting out cubes
about every 1 and 1/2 hours, the fill time is presumably correct, 5
sec., and when I have actuarially managed to see what is happening when
it fills, I see nothing out of the ordinary. I plan to "defrost" this
frost free freezer to see if perhaps some little ice chunk somewhere
might be causing the problem, but since that trick did not work with the
previous ice makers, I am not hopeful. The symptoms would seem to not
be unique to me, but I am not optimistic for a magic answer from GE
other than yet another replacement, and more mangled screw heads on the
door mounts. Does anyone have any insights???

Thank in advance
Art drartieAtattd0tnet