Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

Default Electronics question (before I kill myself)

Went to buy oen of these today so I could do some garden work in the dark -
idea was that it would stay plugged into the mains while I worked and then
taken off after (never hung up)

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/86568/...ack-Floodlight

Eventually I got one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11281/...00W-Site-Light

which is the same but with a plug

The reason I didn;t get the first was that it didn;t have any wiring with it
at all and for soem reason I assumed it would

I did consider buying the wire and plug myself but I don;t have a clue to be
honest, probably would have ended in disaster

Can anyone explain what I would have needed to do? How would I know what
fused plug to get? What wire? It siad it HAD to be earthed yet there was a
lot of non earthed wire being sold

What is eletrical insualtion tape used for?

Anyone know a good beginners guide for all this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mo" wrote in message
[...]

Let's just say you did right by buying the one with the cable and plug
already fitted, and leave it at that.

Working under a single floodlight is very different from
working under sunlight, more so when the light is at low
level and liable to dazzle you. I wouldn't use power tools,
for one thing if you have an accident like damaging the cable
you might blow a fuse or trip an RCD and plunge yourself
into total darkness at a critical time.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mo wrote:
Went to buy oen of these today so I could do some garden work in the
dark - idea was that it would stay plugged into the mains while I
worked and then taken off after (never hung up)

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/86568/...ack-Floodlight

Eventually I got one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11281/...00W-Site-Light

You might have been better with something like this:-

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/37593/...00W-Site-Light

Although I've got a single one which was much cheaper. Useful in the house
for decorating etc too.

which is the same but with a plug

The reason I didn;t get the first was that it didn;t have any wiring
with it at all and for soem reason I assumed it would

I did consider buying the wire and plug myself but I don;t have a clue
to be honest, probably would have ended in disaster

Best to buy a ready made one, then. Probably cheaper too.

Can anyone explain what I would have needed to do? How would I know what
fused plug to get? What wire? It siad it HAD to be earthed yet there
was a lot of non earthed wire being sold.

What is eletrical insualtion tape used for?

Anyone know a good beginners guide for all this?

A good DIY book would be a start.

--
*Remember, no-one is listening until you fart.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message

"mo" wrote in message
[...]

These are good http://www.lampbulbs.co.uk/product_c...e.php?catid=33
Slightly more expensive to buy than a standard lighting system, but they
make up for that in running costs and the lamp life.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/37593/...Lighting/Site-
Lights/Telescopic-Tripod-500W-Site-Light

And then there will have been questions " How do I plug 110V lights into
UK mains? Do just cut off the supplied plug and fit a normal 3 pin
plug?"

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 1, 12:39*am, Owain wrote:
mo wrote:
Went to buy oen of these today so I could do some garden work in the
dark - idea was that it would stay plugged into the mains while I worked
and then taken off after (never hung up)
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/86568/...s/Uncontrolled...
Eventually I got one of these:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11281/...sk-Lighting/Si...
which is the same but with a plug

And also with a convenient stand and carry handle so you don't burn
yourself or set fire to things. Those lamps run *hot*

The reason I didn;t get the first was that it didn;t have any wiring
with it at all and for soem reason I assumed it would

No, it's intended to be installed into a permanent location with fixed
wiring

I did consider buying the wire and plug myself but I don;t have a clue
to be honest, probably would have ended in disaster
Can anyone explain what I would have needed to do?

(Probably) fit a strain relief gland to the lamp. Fit an appropriate
length of 3-core flex rated at 6A and a 13A fused plug with a 3A fuse.

If you wanted to be really pernickity, then test the entire assembly for
compliance with British or EU standards ...

How would I know what
fused plug to get?

Watts / Volts = Amps.

What wire? It siad it HAD to be earthed yet there was
a lot of non earthed wire being sold

There is a lot of appliances that don't need earths.

What is eletrical insualtion tape used for?

Bodging things, mostly.

Anyone know a good beginners guide for all this?

Readers Digest / Which? / etc book of wiring and lighting. Your local
library should have something.

Incidentally, in case your house wiring isn't protected by an RCD
(residual current device) I would strongly suggest that you get one of thesehttp://www.screwfix.com/prods/15263/Electrical/RCDs/RCD-Adaptor

plug it into the socket in the house, then plug your outside lamp and
any tools you use outside, into it.

Owain

As has been said, a CFL light would be better, but halogen works. 500w
is way OTT though - you can get lower wattage bulbs that will fit, or
really best to go get a cfl light. Even better get a pair, then you're
not working in hard shadows all the time.

I wouldnt recommend using power tools under a blindingly bright light
like that.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/37593/...Lighting/Site-
Lights/Telescopic-Tripod-500W-Site-Light

And then there will have been questions " How do I plug 110V lights
into UK mains? Do just cut off the supplied plug and fit a normal 3
pin plug?"

I used to sell pressure washers to the tool hire trade, 110v ones were a
nightmare. They would leave the factory with a 32a/110v plug fitted (2kw
motor). We wold invariably get a service call a few weeks later, to find
the 32a plug had been swapped for a 16a one.

Affixing a very large bright yellow sticker to the front of the machine
partly solved the problem, but never stopped it 100%.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 23:01:14 -0000, mo wrote:

snip

I did consider buying the wire and plug myself but I don;t have a clue to be
honest, probably would have ended in disaster

Can anyone explain what I would have needed to do? How would I know what
fused plug to get? What wire? It siad it HAD to be earthed yet there was a
lot of non earthed wire being sold

What is eletrical insualtion tape used for?

Anyone know a good beginners guide for all this?

Some people find they have a natural aptitude for DIY electrical work,
others don't. If you're not confident and are asking such basic questions,
leave electrical work alone.

That's not meant as discouragement, it's meant to stop you doing some of
the bodges I've come across over many years as an electrical engineer.

The worst one? A three bar electric fire in an unearthed socket which had
been wired in twin bell wire. I guess the wiring was giving off additional
warmth......

--
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/37593/...Lighting/Site-
Lights/Telescopic-Tripod-500W-Site-Light

And then there will have been questions " How do I plug 110V lights into
UK mains? Do just cut off the supplied plug and fit a normal 3 pin
plug?"

Some time ago I had a Microwave oven to repair on
behalf of an insurance company. All that was wrong
with it was the internal light did not work.
on closer examination there were two Quartz Halogen
120v bulbs wired in series and one had failed.
Sourcing a replacement was too hard, I think the
oven was written off.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Wanderer" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You must have had the same customer as me :-)
I saw the same thing when I was a TV engineer
back in the '70s.
A 3 KW heater had a flex extension using figure of 8
stranded twin (solid bell-wire would have taken the current better)
The join was made with the old woven fabric type insulation tape
and it was connected to a 13A plug with silver paper from a cigarette
pack wrapped round the fuse. The cable was hidden under
the carpet though, so at least no trip hazard :-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Champ wrote:
I'm a little cautious with power tools and any kind of fluorescent. The
lights flicker - usually not so you'd notice - but this can cause a
strobe effect and freeze a moving object.

That only happens with mains frequency fluorescents - and only with crude
tubes. Modern electronic ones run at such a high frequency that strobing
won't be apparent. Or use high persistent tubes.

--
*Of course I'm against sin; I'm against anything that I'm too old to enjoy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 2, 12:29*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
* *Andy Champ wrote:

I'm a little cautious with power tools and any kind of fluorescent. *The
lights flicker - usually not so you'd notice - but this can cause a
strobe effect and freeze a moving object.

I think this gets a lot of exaggeration. Although strobing occurs very
occasionally, the thing still doesnt look like its stationary, since
the fl tube gives out light over a fair percentage of the half cycle.

That only happens with mains frequency fluorescents *- and only with crude
tubes.

I dont think I've ever encountered a domestic/commercial/industrial
tube that doesnt produce 100Hz output when run on 50Hz. Are you
thinking of a special purpose type?

Modern electronic ones run at such a high frequency that strobing
won't be apparent. Or use high persistent tubes.

Or realistically, dont worry

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 1, 4:33*pm, "Graham." wrote:
[...]

Reminds me of the eatery open to the public where the wall lights were
on bell wire, but with choc blocks part way along it (no tape) and no
cable clips anywhere. As we ate the choc block sat by the edge of the
table - perhaps they were trying to discourage people from spilling
drinks

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
On Nov 2, 12:29 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
Andy Champ wrote:

I'm a little cautious with power tools and any kind of fluorescent.
The lights flicker - usually not so you'd notice - but this can
cause a strobe effect and freeze a moving object.

I think this gets a lot of exaggeration. Although strobing occurs very
occasionally, the thing still doesnt look like its stationary, since the
fl tube gives out light over a fair percentage of the half cycle.

I've never actually seen it in my domestic workshop when it was lit by 50
Hz fluorescents. But then I don't have slow turning heavy machinery like a
lathe.

That only happens with mains frequency fluorescents - and only with
crude tubes.

I dont think I've ever encountered a domestic/commercial/industrial
tube that doesnt produce 100Hz output when run on 50Hz. Are you
thinking of a special purpose type?

Anything with an electronic ballast. They run at about 30kHz and are more
efficient. That's what I now use in my workshop. Tubes seem to last longer
too.

Modern electronic ones run at such a high frequency that strobing
won't be apparent. Or use high persistent tubes.

Or realistically, dont worry

Indeed.

--
*I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you