Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electronics question (before I kill myself)

On Nov 1, 12:39*am, Owain wrote:
mo wrote:
Went to buy oen of these today so I could do some garden work in the
dark - idea was that it would stay plugged into the mains while I worked
and then taken off after (never hung up)
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/86568/...s/Uncontrolled...
Eventually I got one of these:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11281/...sk-Lighting/Si...
which is the same but with a plug

And also with a convenient stand and carry handle so you don't burn
yourself or set fire to things. Those lamps run *hot*

The reason I didn;t get the first was that it didn;t have any wiring
with it at all and for soem reason I assumed it would

No, it's intended to be installed into a permanent location with fixed
wiring

I did consider buying the wire and plug myself but I don;t have a clue
to be honest, probably would have ended in disaster
Can anyone explain what I would have needed to do?

(Probably) fit a strain relief gland to the lamp. Fit an appropriate
length of 3-core flex rated at 6A and a 13A fused plug with a 3A fuse.

If you wanted to be really pernickity, then test the entire assembly for
compliance with British or EU standards ...

How would I know what
fused plug to get?

Watts / Volts = Amps.

What wire? It siad it HAD to be earthed yet there was
a lot of non earthed wire being sold

There is a lot of appliances that don't need earths.

What is eletrical insualtion tape used for?

Bodging things, mostly.

Anyone know a good beginners guide for all this?

Readers Digest / Which? / etc book of wiring and lighting. Your local
library should have something.

Incidentally, in case your house wiring isn't protected by an RCD
(residual current device) I would strongly suggest that you get one of thesehttp://www.screwfix.com/prods/15263/Electrical/RCDs/RCD-Adaptor

plug it into the socket in the house, then plug your outside lamp and
any tools you use outside, into it.

Owain

As has been said, a CFL light would be better, but halogen works. 500w
is way OTT though - you can get lower wattage bulbs that will fit, or
really best to go get a cfl light. Even better get a pair, then you're
not working in hard shadows all the time.

I wouldnt recommend using power tools under a blindingly bright light
like that.

NT