Electronics (alt.electronics)

Atokata

Default Electronics/Computer Question

Hello,

I volunteer at a small radio station in Western Colorado. My general
field of expertise is UNIX and Linux servers, though oftentimes
nessecity forces me outside of that niche.

The station uses a plain-jane DSL connection for their office internet
connectivity. However, our local provider (Qwest) is problematic (at
best). Due to errors on the ISP side of the DSL connection, the
ActionTec DSL modem/router provided by Qwest often loses its
connection.

This is easily fixed by simply power cylcing the modem. However, due
to the volunteer-based workforce at the station, many times there is
no one availible with the ability to perform this task.

My question is this:

Do any of the readers here know of a device which can physically
switch off the power to the modem through a software control?

That is to say, for example, the software could execute a simple DNS
request to the ISP's name servers every thirty seconds. If the
request comes back accurately, then there's no problem. However, if
it times out, that would indicate the DSL modem has become
disconnected, and the power circuit to said modem could be interrupted
for five or ten seconds, allowing it to reboot.

I'm a rank amateur in electronics, but could what I'm describing be
called a "relay," or perhaps a "watchdog?"

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Sybren Stuvel

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.]
Atokata enlightened us with:
Due to errors on the ISP side of the DSL connection, the ActionTec
DSL modem/router provided by Qwest often loses its connection.

This is easily fixed by simply power cylcing the modem. However,
due to the volunteer-based workforce at the station, many times
there is no one availible with the ability to perform this task.

You must be kidding. Same thing happening here, only the modem is at
my room instead of at some station.

Do any of the readers here know of a device which can physically
switch off the power to the modem through a software control?

I don't know one yet, but I'm probably going to build one sometime
soon. I'll put the schematics online when it's done. If you want a
copy, send me an email.

I'm a rank amateur in electronics, but could what I'm describing be
called a "relay," or perhaps a "watchdog?"

A bit of both. A relay is a power-controlled switch. You're probably
going to use that. A watchdog will be the thing controlling the relay.

Sybren
Tim Wescott

Atokata wrote:
[...]

If you've got a spare hardware port available, printer or serial, you
can control the power to the modem. Assuming there isn't already
something out there you'll need:

- A relay to switch the load (other things may be better, a relay is
easiest for a beginner).
- A driver transistor to switch the relay.
- A box to put it in.
- A wall-wart to power it up.
- Software to tell it what to do to the poor modem.
- Knowledge on how to hook it all up.

The first three can come from Radio Shack. The next to last you need to
supply, and the last may come to you if you ask nicely on
sci.electronics.basic (or basics; I can't remember which).

An alternative is to see if any of the plethora of X-10 home automation
stuff would let you control an outlet from a PC. Search on X-10.
You'll still need software to ping the server and cycle power, but the
hardware would be taken care of, at least.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
jdanskinner

This is easily fixed by simply power cylcing the modem. However,

due
to the volunteer-based workforce at the station, many times there

is
no one availible with the ability to perform this task.

My question is this:

Do any of the readers here know of a device which can physically
switch off the power to the modem through a software control?

I use the STICK and find it excellent.
They have several other products which sound like
a match for you.

http://www.multi-link.net/html/products.htm

Regards...Dan.

Robert Welz

Hello Atoka!

Well, a different approach is to set up an old PC with two Ethernet
Cards as router. Not-so-old fashioned Ethernet cards can be configured
to reconnect to DSL automatically once the DSL line seems down. You need
a firewall script and thats all.

I use a stock SuSE Linux installation without X-Server.

My router works that way, and its doing its job very good, I have 4 PC's
with different OS online and a little web server.

For the PC I use a 2,4 GHZ Celeron with 512 MB Ram and top shows cpu
usage below 1 % even with high traffic! A 486 or Pentium I will work
well, I am sure

Greetings,
Robert

--
The Adress is against spammers
and goes directly into the bin.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Yale Electric Chain Hoist Question MP Toolman Metalworking 3 July 13th 04 08:24 AM
Question about using a router PoP UK diy 6 January 5th 04 01:20 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM