Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer[_3_] The Wanderer[_3_] is offline

Default Electronics question (before I kill myself)

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 23:01:14 -0000, mo wrote:

snip

I did consider buying the wire and plug myself but I don;t have a clue to be
honest, probably would have ended in disaster

Can anyone explain what I would have needed to do? How would I know what
fused plug to get? What wire? It siad it HAD to be earthed yet there was a
lot of non earthed wire being sold

What is eletrical insualtion tape used for?

Anyone know a good beginners guide for all this?

Some people find they have a natural aptitude for DIY electrical work,
others don't. If you're not confident and are asking such basic questions,
leave electrical work alone.

That's not meant as discouragement, it's meant to stop you doing some of
the bodges I've come across over many years as an electrical engineer.

The worst one? A three bar electric fire in an unearthed socket which had
been wired in twin bell wire. I guess the wiring was giving off additional
warmth......

--
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

the dot wanderer at tesco dot net