Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electronics question (before I kill myself)

On Nov 1, 4:33*pm, "Graham." wrote:
"The Wanderer" wrote in message

.. .

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 23:01:14 -0000, mo wrote:

snip

I did consider buying the wire and plug myself but I don;t have a clue to
be
honest, probably would have ended in disaster

Can anyone explain what I would have needed to do? How would I know what
fused plug to get? What wire? It siad it HAD to be earthed yet there was
lot of non earthed wire being sold

What is eletrical insualtion tape used for?

Anyone know a good beginners guide for all this?

Some people find they have a natural aptitude for DIY electrical work,
others don't. If you're not confident and are asking such basic questions,
leave electrical work alone.

That's not meant as discouragement, it's meant to stop you doing some of
the bodges I've come across over many years as an electrical engineer.

The worst one? A three bar electric fire in an unearthed socket which had
been wired in twin bell wire. I guess the wiring was giving off additional
warmth......

You must have had the same customer as me :-)
I saw the same thing when I was a TV engineer
back in the '70s.
A 3 KW heater had a flex extension using figure of 8
stranded twin (solid bell-wire would have taken the current better)
The join was made with the old woven fabric type insulation tape
and it was connected to a 13A plug with silver paper from a cigarette
pack wrapped round the fuse. The cable was hidden under
the carpet though, so at least no trip hazard :-)

Reminds me of the eatery open to the public where the wall lights were
on bell wire, but with choc blocks part way along it (no tape) and no
cable clips anywhere. As we ate the choc block sat by the edge of the
table - perhaps they were trying to discourage people from spilling
drinks

NT