Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electronics question (before I kill myself)

In article
,
wrote:
On Nov 2, 12:29 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
Andy Champ wrote:

I'm a little cautious with power tools and any kind of fluorescent.
The lights flicker - usually not so you'd notice - but this can
cause a strobe effect and freeze a moving object.

I think this gets a lot of exaggeration. Although strobing occurs very
occasionally, the thing still doesnt look like its stationary, since the
fl tube gives out light over a fair percentage of the half cycle.

I've never actually seen it in my domestic workshop when it was lit by 50
Hz fluorescents. But then I don't have slow turning heavy machinery like a
lathe.

That only happens with mains frequency fluorescents - and only with
crude tubes.

I dont think I've ever encountered a domestic/commercial/industrial
tube that doesnt produce 100Hz output when run on 50Hz. Are you
thinking of a special purpose type?

Anything with an electronic ballast. They run at about 30kHz and are more
efficient. That's what I now use in my workshop. Tubes seem to last longer
too.

Modern electronic ones run at such a high frequency that strobing
won't be apparent. Or use high persistent tubes.

Or realistically, dont worry

Indeed.

--
*I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.