Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default Demise of Ebay?

Steve Firth wrote:
George wrote:

Does it matter? I'd rather pay to a seller through PP this way I know its
been recieved and can get my money back.

Have you tried getting your money back? I have.

On one occassion PayPal insisted that I gave the supplier a chance to
deliver since the supplier blamed postal problems for non-delivery. Then
when I had given a reasonable period and the item still had not been
delivered PayPal refused to reimburse me because I was "too late to
claim a refund". The fact that I had notified them within the time
allowed that I had a problem and that PayPal had suggested a delay was
casually ignored.

On another occasion my wife paid for courier services using PayPal. The
Courier charged for four deliveries, but was contracted only to supply
one. Paypal tried all sorts of techniques to claim the cock-up was our
problem, but eventually admitted that we had not received the services
billed. Then they refunded a small fraction of the total payment taking
a large "administration fee".

This was more or less what happened to me last summer, 'cept with a £250
computer for which they took 3 payments despite my own, my bank's and
the seller's best efforts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Brian Watson wrote:
I just noticed one can no longer sell on Ebay without offering PayPal.

Well that's the end of it as far as I am concerned, as a seller.

Having dealt with a large number of twerps who think that UK residents
can accept cheques (in US dollars) drawn on US banks despite them clearly
being endorsed to the contrary, I am happy to play eBay's game with a
system that works.

I have had no problem in cashing US dollar cheques.

Actually, I think I goofed. It's US money orders I have received. They are
clearly marked as not negotiable outside the US and its territories - we are
not quite that yet.

Also, the payments I have received have always been to the sterling amount
of the transaction (say £10.50) but written out for the same figures in
dollars ($10.50) so I've just sent them back and requested Paypal payment,
which I've always then received if they want the goods.

--
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

George wrote:

"Steve Firth" wrote in message

On another occasion my wife paid for courier services using PayPal. The
Courier charged for four deliveries, but was contracted only to supply
one. Paypal tried all sorts of techniques to claim the cock-up was our
problem, but eventually admitted that we had not received the services
billed. Then they refunded a small fraction of the total payment taking
a large "administration fee".

Lets be fair here,

Oh get a clue.

isn't this a problem of yours and the Courier to sort out
and not PP's?

No, it's a problem for PayPal, I didn't force them to offer refunds.
That's one of Terms of their contract with users. Or it was, they have
since ameded their T&Cs to exclude payments for services, but at the
time my wife made the payment she was supposedly covered by "buyer
protection".

ie you should be claiming from the Courier.

I did, the Courier refused to refund money. Even if they had refunded
money they would have done so via PayPal who would have deducted
"administration charges" from the refund.

PayPal advertise their service as offering security for buyers and
sellers, then when things go wrong they attempt to weasel out of the
undertakings that they give.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In uk.d-i-y George wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message

How to get free stuff from ebay.

Buy item, pay through paypal, and get it.

Claim item is not as described.
Post a brick back to the seller (tracked).

As you can show paypal a tracking number that was in fact delivered to the
seller, they will now reverse the transaction.

Sell item down pub.

If police arrive, say that the seller is lying, and trying to get out
of giving his refund.

I see,so it won't work the otherway round? :-) sorry but that doesn't carry
weight or brick in this case.

No.
Seller sends buyer brick - then buyer just claims it's not as described,
and returns brick, paypal refunds as before.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Jun 16, 4:08 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:

ie you should be claiming from the Courier.

I did, the Courier refused to refund money.

At what point during the dispute?

Even if they had refunded
money they would have done so via PayPal who would have deducted
"administration charges" from the refund.

There are no "admistration charges" on refunds within 28 (IIRC) days.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Ian Stirling wrote:
In uk.d-i-y George wrote:
"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
How to get free stuff from ebay.

Buy item, pay through paypal, and get it.

Claim item is not as described.
Post a brick back to the seller (tracked).

As you can show paypal a tracking number that was in fact delivered to the
seller, they will now reverse the transaction.

Sell item down pub.

If police arrive, say that the seller is lying, and trying to get out
of giving his refund.

I see,so it won't work the otherway round? :-) sorry but that doesn't carry
weight or brick in this case.

No.
Seller sends buyer brick - then buyer just claims it's not as described,
and returns brick, paypal refunds as before.

Seller claims it was a gold plated coffee bar.

Paypal holds onto everyone's money for ever.

The point about paypal is they have fixed it so that they *never ever lose*.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Man at B&Q wrote:

Even if they had refunded
money they would have done so via PayPal who would have deducted
"administration charges" from the refund.

There are no "admistration charges" on refunds within 28 (IIRC) days.

Except that to then transfer the money out of your Paypal account you
get docked an admin charge, so unless you want to pay for something else
immediately you will lose out.

--

Brian
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

"Tony Finch" wrote in message
Paul Treadaway wrote:

It's nothing to do with the FSA, which regulates financial services. I
think
you mean the OFT or MMC.

Isn't PayPal a financial service?

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch http://dotat.at/
FORTIES CROMARTY FORTH TYNE DOGGER: NORTHWEST 5 TO 7, BUT VARIABLE 3 OR 4

When I was out on the road a lot, I used to really look forward to the
shipping forecast. How sad is that ? There's something very 'British radio'
and calming about it, somehow. I used to prefer when it was read by a woman.
had a more 'soothing' quality, somehow ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Man at B&Q wrote:

On Jun 16, 4:08 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:

ie you should be claiming from the Courier.

I did, the Courier refused to refund money.

At what point during the dispute?

All the way through from begining to end.

Even if they had refunded
money they would have done so via PayPal who would have deducted
"administration charges" from the refund.

There are no "admistration charges" on refunds within 28 (IIRC) days.

Utter ********.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

I have had no problem in cashing US dollar cheques.

How? I've got a pile of dollar cheques for daft amounts like $23.39 etc.
They're issued monthly though one of these affiliate accounts.

I can't do anything with them. It costs £10 just to put the each cheque
into your GBP account, which works out at about $21 just for negotiation.

The company in question CAN'T hold them back until they reach say $200.
It's AGAINS'T their T&Cs. Once issued a $1,000 one and it bounced! That's
fun! When a negotiated USD cheque bounces, you find out about 9-months
later when a load of paperwork turns up one day. Hence we don't make any
effort to promote them. Direct transfers are out too.

USA companies do have some *funny* ideas. They freely discuss other
customer's accounts too, quite useful information as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Stephen Howard wrote:

From Paypal's own help page:
"
Q If I send a refund and it is accepted, are the fees from the
original transaction credited to my account?

A Yes. If you send a full refund using the Issue Refund link,
PayPal automatically refunds the transaction fees. If you send a
partial refund, PayPal refunds part of the fees, based on the refund
amount.

If you use Send Money to refund the payment after 60 days, PayPal
cannot reimburse the fees for the original transaction.
"

You do realise that refers to the seller, not the buyer, don't you?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
George wrote:
I just noticed one can no longer sell on Ebay without offering PayPal.

Well that's the end of it as far as I am concerned, as a seller.

Isn't this a monopoly issues? And illegal under EU law..not that paypal
has ever bothered to comply with that.

Does it matter? I'd rather pay to a seller through PP this way I know its
been recieved and can get my money back.

ROFLMAO!!

Get your money back? from Paypal?

Well, the only time I've tried doing it, which was when a seller tried
to stitch me up (didn't send me anything and went dark on me after being
paid) they did indeed refund me.

That was one of only two (AFAICR) 'bad' transcactions out of several
hundred sales and purchases I've made on ebay over the past 6 years -
the other one was for a cash item I collected, and which proved to be
useless. I lost my money.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Aly wrote:
I have had no problem in cashing US dollar cheques.

How? I've got a pile of dollar cheques for daft amounts like $23.39 etc.
They're issued monthly though one of these affiliate accounts.

I can't do anything with them. It costs £10 just to put the each cheque
into your GBP account, which works out at about $21 just for negotiation.

Doesn't cost me a cent. I just bang them in, and they get credited. No
charges at all.

Talk to your bank: mine only said charges applied if I went for speedy
clearance. I get a dribble of lawyers cheques from having once owned
worldcom stock:

I ought to frame them really.

The company in question CAN'T hold them back until they reach say $200.
It's AGAINS'T their T&Cs. Once issued a $1,000 one and it bounced! That's
fun! When a negotiated USD cheque bounces, you find out about 9-months
later when a load of paperwork turns up one day. Hence we don't make any
effort to promote them. Direct transfers are out too.

USA companies do have some *funny* ideas. They freely discuss other
customer's accounts too, quite useful information as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Styx" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I just noticed one can no longer sell on Ebay without offering PayPal.

What's the problem with that?

Mary
who doesn't buy or sell through e-bay

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:19:25 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

Man at B&Q wrote:

On Jun 16, 4:08 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:

ie you should be claiming from the Courier.

I did, the Courier refused to refund money.

At what point during the dispute?

All the way through from begining to end.

Even if they had refunded
money they would have done so via PayPal who would have deducted
"administration charges" from the refund.

There are no "admistration charges" on refunds within 28 (IIRC) days.

Utter ********.

News to me...I've both sent refunds and received them without any fees
being paid.

From Paypal's own help page:
"
Q If I send a refund and it is accepted, are the fees from the
original transaction credited to my account?

A Yes. If you send a full refund using the Issue Refund link,
PayPal automatically refunds the transaction fees. If you send a
partial refund, PayPal refunds part of the fees, based on the refund
amount.

If you use Send Money to refund the payment after 60 days, PayPal
cannot reimburse the fees for the original transaction.
"

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Ian Stirling wrote:
This would seem good for sellers and buyers, but it means you get 'spam'.
A buisness, instead of selling one or two lines that are their best buys
drops their entire catalog into the listings.

The same happens on eBay - look at the people with umpteen identical
auctions for flash memory cards, for example. eBay have recently put a
limit on the number of times you can list identical items, but I don't know
if this is enforced.

This shows as their are only about 4 sellers in the above category, compared
to several hundred on ebay, which means that sellers with one or two items
to list on the site don't bother, as this spam makes it hard to find their
auctions.

It depends. If the site is categorised well, that helps. But don't people
do a lot by searches these days? And eBay's filtering is usually quite
good.

I'd rate it an advantage of eBay that people put all their inventory up -
makes looking for obscure things like a grommet for a 1975 something much
easier. In the old days you'd have to ring round all the something dealers
who'd have to look in the back of their drawers and hope you struck lucky.
Even if you did you'd pay the earth for it.

Listing on ebay and ebid together at the same time is forbidden by the terms
and conditions - as you would end up not selling one item.

It is? There are plenty of listings for, say, used cars which say the item
is listed elsewhere. And quite a few of them get ended before the auction
close because of that. Or is that a special exception for vehicles?

This means that individual sellers with one item to sell are very unlikely
to list on ebid first, wait a week, then try selling on ebay.
Which means that buyers coming to ebid don't find them.

I think the problem is that if there aren't enough punters, no-one lists at
99p for fear they won't get any interest. So you go to the site and see
lots of things at silly prices, and leave. So you don't come back, the item
doesn't sell, which doesn't encourage the seller to try again.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:53:22 +0100, Brian Watson wrote:
Also, the payments I have received have always been to the sterling amount
of the transaction (say £10.50) but written out for the same figures in
dollars ($10.50)

Weird.

Oddly I was needing to pay a UK cheque into a US account recently,
and the way my US bank did it was to credit the written value in
dollars immediately, then a few days later dump the difference into the
account after the conversion had been done. US banking always seems a bit
random like that :-)

It cost me a whole dollar, so I can't complain (for comparison my
UK bank charges me $40 if I want to move funds from my UK account to my US
one)

On the ebay/paypal front - I cleared out my paypal account a couple of
months ago. I really don't want to be using them or ebay ever again...

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Theo Markettos wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
[...]

Indeed. Market opportunity for 'fleabay.com' one feels.

Bugger. Its been registered.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Jun 16, 5:19 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:

On Jun 16, 4:08 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:

ie you should be claiming from the Courier.

I did, the Courier refused to refund money.

At what point during the dispute?

All the way through from begining to end.

Even if they had refunded
money they would have done so via PayPal who would have deducted
"administration charges" from the refund.

There are no "admistration charges" on refunds within 28 (IIRC) days.

Utter ********.

Care to back that up with a reasoned argument?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Man at B&Q wrote:

Care to back that up with a reasoned argument?

Sure, PayPal charged my wife 60% of the cash she paid in "administration
fees" are you claiming she dreamed the entire episode?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Jun 16, 6:16 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Stephen Howard wrote:
From Paypal's own help page:
"
Q If I send a refund and it is accepted, are the fees from the
original transaction credited to my account?

A Yes. If you send a full refund using the Issue Refund link,
PayPal automatically refunds the transaction fees. If you send a
partial refund, PayPal refunds part of the fees, based on the refund
amount.

If you use Send Money to refund the payment after 60 days, PayPal
cannot reimburse the fees for the original transaction.
"

You do realise that refers to the seller, not the buyer, don't you?

So try

"Q How is a refund credited?

A When a payment is refunded using the Issue Refund link, PayPal
credits the refund based on the source of the original payment.

* For payments sent using a credit card, PayPal credits the credit
card.
* For payments funded with another funding source, PayPal credits
the refund to your PayPal balance.
* For payments funded by a credit card and another source, PayPal
credits the credit card portion to the credit card and the remainder
to your PayPal balance.
* For payments sent using Redemption Codes/Gift Vouchers, the
points are returned to your Redemption Code/Gift Voucher balance.

Refunds made using the Send Money tab will post to your PayPal account
balance, regardless of the original payment source. PayPal fees
associated with the payment are not credited to either the sender or
the receiver because Send Money constitutes a payment, not a refund."

There are no "admin charges" for either the buyer or seller when using
the refund process.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On 16 Jun 2008 12:57:35 GMT, Andrew Gabriel put finger to keyboard and
typed:

Monopolies and Mergers Commission was replaced by the Competition
Commission some years back. I think they got fed up with people
complaining that there was only one Monopolies and Mergers Commission ;-)

So how come there's no competition for the Competition Commission? :-)

Mark
--
Pointless waffle (again) at http://mark.x.tc
"Shake off your golden shackles, children of time no more"
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Jun 16, 4:59 pm, Brian Morrison wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:
Even if they had refunded
money they would have done so via PayPal who would have deducted
"administration charges" from the refund.

There are no "admistration charges" on refunds within 28 (IIRC) days.

Except that to then transfer the money out of your Paypal account you
get docked an admin charge, so unless you want to pay for something else
immediately you will lose out.

If you transfer less than £50, but that's a general condition and has
nothing to do with refunds. It's also easy to work around.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:53:22 +0100, Brian Watson put finger to
keyboard and typed:

Also, the payments I have received have always been to the sterling amount
of the transaction (say £10.50) but written out for the same figures in
dollars ($10.50) so I've just sent them back and requested Paypal payment,
which I've always then received if they want the goods.

In a previous job, I used to manage on online retail operation. One of
our most common complaints was from Americans who had bought something
worth, say, £10 and then, when they got their monthly statement,
noticed that their credit card had been debited for $20 (or whatever
the actual exchange rate made it) and then threatened to sue us for
charging them twice. There are, it seems, a huge number of Americans
who really don't know that there are other currencies in the world.

Mark
--
Miscellaneous remarks at http://Mark.Goodge.co.uk
"Look at the stars; look how they shine for you"
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Man at B&Q wrote:

There are no "admin charges" for either the buyer or seller when using
the refund process.

The text you posted does not say that. It simply says that refunds are
made in particular ways.

A payment made via credit card sees a redund to that card.
Other payments see a "refund" to the PayPal account.
Mixed payments end up with refunds allocated in proportion.

PayPal do *not* promise that a fee will not be charged.

And at the foot of the declaration PayPal makes it clear that in some
circumstances fees are not refunded.

Am I typing too fast for you to follow?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

"Jon Green" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I just noticed one can no longer sell on Ebay without offering PayPal.
[...]
Isn't this a monopoly issues? And illegal under EU law..not that paypal
has ever bothered to comply with that.

To be exact, an unlawful restraint of trade, unless my understanding of
the EU regs is completely wrong.

Exactly whose trade is restrained?

The enactment of EU regulations on competition within the UK is the
Competition Act 1998 and I don't see anything in specifying that a certain
form of payment shall be offered that contravenes Section 2 of the Act.

I will not be using eBay to sell anything as long as the restriction
applies, as PayPal is a ridiculously expensive way to trade, but I don't see
that they are breaking any law by doing so.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Mark Goodge wrote:

So how come there's no competition for the Competition Commission? :-)

You snipped the mention of the Office of Fair Trading.
/humourless
--
Selah
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Mary Fisher formulated :
What's the problem with that?

Mary
who doesn't buy or sell through e-bay

A seller pays ebay to list the item, then he/she pays a second time for
the transaction via Paypal. It all adds to the cost of selling anything
and obviously cost has to be passed onto the buyer.

Whilst the seller at the moment only has to offer Paypal, as Paypal
makes the transaction so easy, most buyers will opt for it.

Harry, who does buy on ebay and even occasionally sells.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 22:21:20 UTC, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

It happens that Mary Fisher formulated :
What's the problem with that?

Mary
who doesn't buy or sell through e-bay

A seller pays ebay to list the item, then he/she pays a second time for
the transaction via Paypal. It all adds to the cost of selling anything
and obviously cost has to be passed onto the buyer.

And the seller pays a third time - the eBay final value fee.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 18:16:32 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

Stephen Howard wrote:

From Paypal's own help page:
"
Q If I send a refund and it is accepted, are the fees from the
original transaction credited to my account?

A Yes. If you send a full refund using the Issue Refund link,
PayPal automatically refunds the transaction fees. If you send a
partial refund, PayPal refunds part of the fees, based on the refund
amount.

If you use Send Money to refund the payment after 60 days, PayPal
cannot reimburse the fees for the original transaction.
"

You do realise that refers to the seller, not the buyer, don't you?

As far as I've seen personally it applies to the buyer too - I've
never been charged for a refund either way. Last one was from a seller
in May this year, and the sums vary from ten quid or so up to several
hundred pounds.
A 'catch out' is the seller sending a *new* payment equal to the sum
to be refunded....if it doesn't come via the refund function it's
treated as a straightforward payment and becomes liable for fees.

This should be obvious though, as it won't appear on the Paypal
statement as a refund ( twice...as it happens - once for the outgoing
sum and once for the refund ).

It seems my experience differs from yours. I'm not complaining.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On 2008-06-16 20:46:51 +0100, Mark Goodge
said:

[...]

Fortunately, most of them don't have passports either.

I've lost count of how many times, when traveling around the rest of
Europe, that I have heard conversations between Elmer and Martha from
Duluth about "Eurodollars".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It happens that Mary Fisher formulated :
What's the problem with that?

Mary
who doesn't buy or sell through e-bay

A seller pays ebay to list the item, then he/she pays a second time for
the transaction via Paypal. It all adds to the cost of selling anything
and obviously cost has to be passed onto the buyer.

And the seller pays a third time - the eBay final value fee.

Add to that a fee from withdrawing money from your Paypal account.

BTW: I thought ebay had banned charging extra for Paypal
transactions?

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
It happens that Mary Fisher formulated :
What's the problem with that?

Mary
who doesn't buy or sell through e-bay

A seller pays ebay to list the item, then he/she pays a second time for
the transaction via Paypal. It all adds to the cost of selling anything
and obviously cost has to be passed onto the buyer.

But surely buyers and sellers know all this before they buy or sell?

If they don't the deserve all they get.

Paypal and ebay are the same company, virtually. It makes sense to keep
everything in-house.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 21:49:37 +0100, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname
here.me.uk wrote:

"Jon Green" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I just noticed one can no longer sell on Ebay without offering PayPal.
[...]
Isn't this a monopoly issues? And illegal under EU law..not that paypal
has ever bothered to comply with that.

To be exact, an unlawful restraint of trade, unless my understanding of
the EU regs is completely wrong.

Exactly whose trade is restrained?

The enactment of EU regulations on competition within the UK is the
Competition Act 1998 and I don't see anything in specifying that a certain
form of payment shall be offered that contravenes Section 2 of the Act.

I will not be using eBay to sell anything as long as the restriction
applies, as PayPal is a ridiculously expensive way to trade, but I don't see
that they are breaking any law by doing so.

PayPal is a very expensive way to trade but can be worth it IMHO.

I've sold secondhand stuff for more than the brand new price - so a
few fees is worth it sometimes.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It happens that Mary Fisher formulated :
What's the problem with that?

Mary
who doesn't buy or sell through e-bay

A seller pays ebay to list the item, then he/she pays a second time for
the transaction via Paypal. It all adds to the cost of selling anything
and obviously cost has to be passed onto the buyer.

And the seller pays a third time - the eBay final value fee.

Add to that a fee from withdrawing money from your Paypal account.

?

I've never been charged for that - as long as it's over £50 there's no
charge.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It happens that Mary Fisher formulated :
What's the problem with that?

Mary
who doesn't buy or sell through e-bay

A seller pays ebay to list the item, then he/she pays a second time for
the transaction via Paypal. It all adds to the cost of selling anything
and obviously cost has to be passed onto the buyer.

And the seller pays a third time - the eBay final value fee.

Add to that a fee from withdrawing money from your Paypal account.

BTW: I thought ebay had banned charging extra for Paypal
transactions?

They have...it means that all prices go up instead.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On 16 Jun, 12:00, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I just noticed one can no longer sell on Ebay without offering PayPal.

Well that's the end of it as far as I am concerned, as a seller.

Isn't this a monopoly issues? And illegal under EU law..not that paypal
has ever bothered to comply with that.

Well, I, for one, would NOT sell or buy anything on eBay without doing
it through PayPal......
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 18:16:32 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

Stephen Howard wrote:

From Paypal's own help page:
"
Q If I send a refund and it is accepted, are the fees from the
original transaction credited to my account?

A Yes. If you send a full refund using the Issue Refund link,
PayPal automatically refunds the transaction fees. If you send a
partial refund, PayPal refunds part of the fees, based on the refund
amount.

If you use Send Money to refund the payment after 60 days, PayPal
cannot reimburse the fees for the original transaction.
"

You do realise that refers to the seller, not the buyer, don't you?

From my own experience it appears to apply to both the buyer and the
seller. As I said, I have never been charged a fee for refunds either
way - the most recent being this May...with sums ranging from ten
pounds or so to several hundred.

A 'catch out' is that the refund must be made using the appropriate
function - if a payment is sent in any other way it's treated as a
*new* payment, and fees will apply.

Your experience seem to differ from mine. I'm not complaining.

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Jun 16, 8:31 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:

Care to back that up with a reasoned argument?

Sure, PayPal charged my wife 60% of the cash she paid in "administration
fees" are you claiming she dreamed the entire episode?

No, what I am saying is that if she had received a refund from the
seller via the normal PayPal refund method, there would have been no
"administration charge".

You claim the seller refused a refund which is obviously wrong of them
and you eventually received a "refund" from PayPal, not the seller.

You previous statement [my text in brackets]:

Even if they had [the seller] refunded
money they would have done so via PayPal who would have deducted
"administration charges" from the refund.

Is the utter ******** in this thread. PayPal refunds from sellers do
not incur charges.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Jun 16, 8:57 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:

There are no "admin charges" for either the buyer or seller when using
the refund process.

The text you posted does not say that. It simply says that refunds are
made in particular ways.

A payment made via credit card sees a redund to that card.
Other payments see a "refund" to the PayPal account.
Mixed payments end up with refunds allocated in proportion.

PayPal do *not* promise that a fee will not be charged.

And at the foot of the declaration PayPal makes it clear that in some
circumstances fees are not refunded.

Am I typing too fast for you to follow?

I think you are typing too fast for yourself.

It's quite clear why using the send momey function does not result in
a refund of charges.

MBQ