Swingman

Default The demise of Wood Works ...

.... was apparently greatly exaggerated hereabouts last year?

I just counted 10 _different_ Wood Works segments with D J. Marks, from Sat
1/8 thru Sat 1/15 on the DVR.

Granted, I don't watch TV much, but many of these I have not seen befo

Raised Walunt Panel Door
Ottoman
Mahogany Headboard
Maple Sitting Bench (Asian style)
Freestanding Mirror
Double Sided Bookcase
Mahogany/Maple bookcase
Walnut Sitting Bench w/Colpper legs
Solid Walnut Blanket Chest
Solid Cherry Tool Cabinet

10 in 8 days, 7 new to me ... not bad.

Now, to figure out the best way to get them onto DVD for my _private_
viewing pleasure in the shop ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

firstjois

Swingman wrote:
[...]

What set up do you have for watching DVDs in your shop? I haven't got room
for ants never mind a viewer and chair.

Josie

Swingman

"firstjois" wrote in message

What set up do you have for watching DVDs in your shop?

I don't ... but if I had the good reason, I wouldn't let that stop me.

I haven't got room
for ants never mind a viewer and chair.

I know exactly how you feel. The ants, tree roaches, and those fierce little
spiders about the size of a grain of rice who rear up on their hind legs
like they're gonna kick your ass if you come any closer, and I have come to
an understanding, based primarily on the presence, or absence, of daylight.

.... ya mean you don't even have a stool?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Jack

"Swingman"

Now, to figure out the best way to get them onto DVD for my _private_
viewing pleasure in the shop ...

Santa brought me a Panasonic DVR (DMR E85H) with a DVD burner, I've been
very happy with the copies of the few things I like on TV. I've got about 5
DVD's of the WoodWorks show, and a few of Nahm's show too.
Also made excellent DVD's from the endless stack of VHS tapes from our
Camcorder. Delivered a few custom DVD's to each of my kids with their
childhood events and they loved it.
You CAN teach this old dog new tricks.

Jack

Swingman

"Jack" wrote in message

"Swingman"

Now, to figure out the best way to get them onto DVD for my _private_
viewing pleasure in the shop ...

Santa brought me a Panasonic DVR (DMR E85H) with a DVD burner, I've been
very happy with the copies of the few things I like on TV. I've got about

5
DVD's of the WoodWorks show, and a few of Nahm's show too.
Also made excellent DVD's from the endless stack of VHS tapes from our
Camcorder. Delivered a few custom DVD's to each of my kids with their
childhood events and they loved it.
You CAN teach this old dog new tricks.

Sounds like what I am looking for.

I've got DVD burners out the kazoo in the studio, but none that will record
direct from a video source that I am aware of. Tell me more ... what did
Santa pay for this item? How many shows per DVD, or vice versa?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Upscale

"Jack" wrote in message news:uBCGd.60427

Santa brought me a Panasonic DVR (DMR E85H) with a DVD burner, I've been
very happy with the copies of the few things I like on TV. I've got about

5

Good machine. I've got the previous rendition, an E80H. One tip for you to
remember. If you're going to burn DVD-R disks and later want to view or copy
their contents to your computer, finalize them on the Panasonic first or
your computer likely won't be able to read them. Only other way around this
is if your computer DVD drive can recognize DVD-Ram.

J&KCopeland

----------snip---------
Now, to figure out the best way to get them onto DVD for my _private_
viewing pleasure in the shop ...

No problem...

GigaPocket. GigaPocket is a Sony subsidiary
http://www.sonystyle.com/intershopro...t/gp_demo.html
TV viewing software/program that comes with Sonys. (There are others, of
course) Allows the recording of cable based TV shows directly onto the
computer.

(Requires a tuner card, a cable feed AND a separate decoder box for the
higher channel numbers. All those channels under 120 will come through
without the separate decoder box. Pirate software is probably available to
crack the encryption so that you wouldn't need the decoder box, but I've
never gone searching.)

There is site on the WEB, hmmmm...IPEG that lists all the TV shows on every
channel. Puruse the site, click on the REC button for a particular show,
and it will load all the relevant data on your computer. (You can set it up
to record how ever often you want.)

After Set up and it'll record anything you want. (Exactly like a VCR; in
fact it probably won't take as long to set up the program as it took you to
program that old VCR!) And then all manner of programs, from Roxio to Nero
will happily burn all the DVD disks you want.

Using MPEG2 format, I edit all the commercials and usually put three of
Norm's shows on one DVD disk, complete with menus. A burning program called
ClicktoDVD came on my Sony box. It's almost a turnkey operation, with
editing allowed if you really want to fuss around a little bit. It'll
probably take you about two hours to figure out how to do the editing, IF
you don't read the directions. (I assume that Real Men still don't read
directions.) If you read the directions, it's down to about five minutes.

Pop for a big second drive, and you can go wild. I record all manner of
shows, just for backup, just in case I end up missing one. If I don't need
it, deletion of a "video cabinet" is but a keystroke away.

Hint: Spring for some RW DVD's and then when your just cruising the net and
run across innovative ideas, copy them to a discrete little directory,
directly on your computer. I'm building a very nice collection of various
jigs, and plans from the net. Last year, I bought another cheap scanner.
Now, I simply scan in anything from a magazine that strikes my fancy, and
save them as JPG's. Every so often, I transfer all the saved data to a RW
disk, for storage. When that disk gets full I then recopy them back to the
computer, and use one of the editing programs to burn a final disk complete
with indexs and menus. Adding background music is probably a bit much.

Now I have a fully accessable disk, plus a backup. BTW, DVD's hold a LOT of
data. Rename all the files with descriptive names that will facilitate
re-location in the future.

Very Evil Grin You can set all the files to play across your TV just like
some of those animated screensavers. It drives my beloved SIL nuts when she
comes to visit, and sees different jigs playing across the TV screen.

As a manner of fact, if you want to do a little searching, you can get some
fairly sophisticated software for free, on the net.

Swingman

"J&KCopeland" wrote in message

No problem...

Damn.. you got it all figured out. Thanks for the info.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:16:42 GMT, "Jack"
wrote:

"Swingman"

Now, to figure out the best way to get them onto DVD for my _private_
viewing pleasure in the shop ...

Santa brought me a Panasonic DVR (DMR E85H) with a DVD burner, I've been
very happy with the copies of the few things I like on TV. I've got about 5
DVD's of the WoodWorks show, and a few of Nahm's show too.
Also made excellent DVD's from the endless stack of VHS tapes from our
Camcorder. Delivered a few custom DVD's to each of my kids with their
childhood events and they loved it.
You CAN teach this old dog new tricks.

Jack

One of my friends videotaped another friend's funeral. He's making
DVDs for those who want them. (Not as morbid as it sounds. The
deceased was -- well, 'unique' springs to mind -- and most of the
funeral was devoted to telling funny stories about him, which
sometimes degenerated into standup comedy routines. Kind of like that
old Saturday Night Live routine about the funeral that was held over
for the 18th week.)

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
Jack

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Jack" wrote in message

"Swingman"

[...]

It cost about $450, search amazon or cnet.com. Maybe cheaper since a month
has passed, also I pay a premium shipping charge to get to Hawaii...
The difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys.

I've been taping at the LP mode, I get about a dozen edited shows on the
DVD, they average 310MEG files.
The only downside is that the four kids want one (each) and they think Santa
lives at my house.

Jack

firstjois

Swingman wrote:
"firstjois" wrote in message

What set up do you have for watching DVDs in your shop?

I don't ... but if I had the good reason, I wouldn't let that stop
me.

I haven't got room
for ants never mind a viewer and chair.

I know exactly how you feel. The ants, tree roaches, and those
fierce little spiders about the size of a grain of rice who rear up
on their hind legs like they're gonna kick your ass if you come any
closer, and I have come to an understanding, based primarily on the
presence, or absence, of daylight.

... ya mean you don't even have a stool?

--

Just got one two weeks ago and feel like a weight lifter I've had to move
it out of the way so often.

Josie

Steve

There's a note about the demise on Marks website,
http://www.djmarks.com/stories/djm/C...orks_87835.asp

I'm leaning toward a sony DVD burner, good reviews so far and it's
simple to use. Froogle "Sony DVDirect DVD Recorder VRDVC10", They are
~$260. It's also small enough to take to the shop with a little TV and
watch all the shows you record.

John

But DVD recorders for the computer are around $75 (or less) for dual
layer capable drives. Throw in a Plextor USB video input/capture and
OR a video card with TV in and you have the equivalent of that Sony,
PLUS the ability to backup your computer to DVD or CD, make backup
copies of DVD movies, etc.

John

On 17 Jan 2005 16:14:41 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

There's a note about the demise on Marks website,
http://www.djmarks.com/stories/djm/C...orks_87835.asp

I'm leaning toward a sony DVD burner, good reviews so far and it's
simple to use. Froogle "Sony DVDirect DVD Recorder VRDVC10", They are
~$260. It's also small enough to take to the shop with a little TV and
watch all the shows you record.

Steve

I may be wrong but a lot of people might not be that tech saavy or have
a fast enough computer to run video editing software well. I tend to
take my 400GB RAID and 2GB of ram for granted.

The Sony isn't the end all unit for video production but it will
connect directly to what ever video device you want and record directly
to DVD. Additionally It'll connect via USB2 to your computer for
backup use.

Most importantly, My parents could probably use it without calling me
for directions all the time. Well worth the extra few bucks!

Swingman

"Steve" wrote in message
I may be wrong but a lot of people might not be that tech saavy or have
a fast enough computer to run video editing software well. I tend to
take my 400GB RAID and 2GB of ram for granted.

The Sony isn't the end all unit for video production but it will
connect directly to what ever video device you want and record directly
to DVD. Additionally It'll connect via USB2 to your computer for
backup use.

Most importantly, My parents could probably use it without calling me
for directions all the time. Well worth the extra few bucks!

I have the computer power, the software (Vegas) which we use mostly for
multi-track audio editing, and the expertise to use it, but the components
are far removed from the TV's DVR set top box and I would like to keep it
that way.

That's why your "single box" solution is attractive for the price. Thanks
for the tip on the Sony.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Steven and Gail Peterson

I have a Panasonic DMR-E30 DVD recorder that will record directly on DVD-R,
although I usually use DVD-RAM which is erasable/reusable and will record up
to 6 hours in EP mode. I time shift Woodworks and Router Workshop everyday
and try not to get too far behind. Also have a 1-minute jump for skipping
through commercials. A couple years ago it was $499 at RadioShack, but must
have come down by now. I saved a lot with employee discount, a strategy to
consider.

Steve

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Jack" wrote in message

"Swingman"

[...]

patrick conroy

"Steven and Gail Peterson" wrote in message
.net...
through commercials. A couple years ago it was $499 at RadioShack, but

must
have come down by now. I saved a lot with employee discount, a strategy

[ Note to self! Note to self! No RadioShack employee jokes! ]

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:48:18 GMT, patrick conroy wrote:

"Steven and Gail Peterson" wrote in message
.net...
through commercials. A couple years ago it was $499 at RadioShack, but

must
have come down by now. I saved a lot with employee discount, a strategy

[ Note to self! Note to self! No RadioShack employee jokes! ]

What, you don't want to have to explain all the jokes?