Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Demise of Ebay?

On Jun 17, 9:25 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message

k...

It happens that Mary Fisher formulated :
What's the problem with that?

Mary
who doesn't buy or sell through e-bay

A seller pays ebay to list the item, then he/she pays a second time for
the transaction via Paypal. It all adds to the cost of selling anything
and obviously cost has to be passed onto the buyer.

But surely buyers and sellers know all this before they buy or sell?

They do, indeed.

If they don't the deserve all they get.

Indeed.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Man at B&Q wrote:

It's quite clear why using the send momey function does not result in
a refund of charges.

And it's quite clear that you didn't read that far when you posted the
information.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Man at B&Q wrote:

Even if they had [the seller] refunded
money they would have done so via PayPal who would have deducted
"administration charges" from the refund.

Is the utter ******** in this thread. PayPal refunds from sellers do
not incur charges.

My wife was charged £4 for each refund, which was made by PayPal to her
credit card.

Again you appear to know more about my wife's credit card transactions
than she does.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In message
, at
04:50:24 on Tue, 17 Jun 2008, The Crimson King
remarked:
Well, I, for one, would NOT sell or buy anything on eBay without doing
it through PayPal......

I've happily bought and sold using both bankers_draft-on-collection and
cash-on-collection. The most recent thing I sold, the chap insisted on
paying by Postal Order. A bit of a pain, but fairly risk-free.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Man at B&Q wrote:

Even if they had [the seller] refunded
money they would have done so via PayPal who would have deducted
"administration charges" from the refund.

Is the utter ******** in this thread. PayPal refunds from sellers do
not incur charges.

My wife was charged £4 for each refund, which was made by PayPal to her
credit card.

So the refund was from PayPal, not the seller?

Who imposed the charge, PayPal or the credit card company?

Again you appear to know more about my wife's credit card transactions
than she does.

Do I?

You appear to be unable to comprehend plain English.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Jun 2008 10:58:16 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 08:25:04 UTC, Mark
wrote:

On 16 Jun 2008 23:24:34 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 22:21:20 UTC, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

It happens that Mary Fisher formulated :
What's the problem with that?

Mary
who doesn't buy or sell through e-bay

A seller pays ebay to list the item, then he/she pays a second time for
the transaction via Paypal. It all adds to the cost of selling anything
and obviously cost has to be passed onto the buyer.

And the seller pays a third time - the eBay final value fee.

Add to that a fee from withdrawing money from your Paypal account.

BTW: I thought ebay had banned charging extra for Paypal
transactions?

They have...it means that all prices go up instead.

Not necessarily IMHO. It depends what people are prepared to bid.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jun 16, 4:59 pm, Brian Morrison wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:
Even if they had refunded
money they would have done so via PayPal who would have deducted
"administration charges" from the refund.
There are no "admistration charges" on refunds within 28 (IIRC) days.

Except that to then transfer the money out of your Paypal account you
get docked an admin charge, so unless you want to pay for something else
immediately you will lose out.

If you transfer less than £50, but that's a general condition and has
nothing to do with refunds. It's also easy to work around.

It is? If you use eBay very little and don't sell much it's quite an
annoyance. How do you suggest working around that?

--

Brian
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

"Brian Morrison" wrote in message
Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jun 16, 4:59 pm, Brian Morrison wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:
Even if they had refunded
money they would have done so via PayPal who would have deducted
"administration charges" from the refund.
There are no "admistration charges" on refunds within 28 (IIRC) days.

Except that to then transfer the money out of your Paypal account you
get docked an admin charge, so unless you want to pay for something else
immediately you will lose out.

If you transfer less than £50, but that's a general condition and has
nothing to do with refunds. It's also easy to work around.

It is? If you use eBay very little and don't sell much it's quite an
annoyance. How do you suggest working around that?

Just have a nervous breakdown and get it out of your system :-)

Mary

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Man at B&Q wrote:

It's quite clear why using the send momey function does not result in
a refund of charges.

And it's quite clear that you didn't read that far when you posted the
information.

Yes I did.

Your comment provided no evidence that you had.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Roland Perry wrote:
I've happily bought and sold using both bankers_draft-on-collection and
cash-on-collection. The most recent thing I sold, the chap insisted on
paying by Postal Order. A bit of a pain, but fairly risk-free.

Hopefully with Faster Payments it should be a lot easier - do an online bank
transfer and the recipient can see it's there, in theory within about 2
hours but in practice often instantly. There's no PayPal 'protection', but
maybe that protection isn't worth the email it's written on. In particular
it might be handy for face-to-face transactions if both of you have
internet/telephone banking.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Jun 17, 3:32 pm, Brian Morrison wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jun 16, 4:59 pm, Brian Morrison wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:
Even if they had refunded
money they would have done so via PayPal who would have deducted
"administration charges" from the refund.
There are no "admistration charges" on refunds within 28 (IIRC) days.
Except that to then transfer the money out of your Paypal account you
get docked an admin charge, so unless you want to pay for something else
immediately you will lose out.

If you transfer less than £50, but that's a general condition and has
nothing to do with refunds. It's also easy to work around.

It is? If you use eBay very little and don't sell much it's quite an
annoyance. How do you suggest working around that?

If you get a refund and your balance is less than £50, use the "add
funds" feature to top it up to £50 and then withdraw the whole
balance.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Man at B&Q wrote:

It's quite clear why using the send momey function does not result in
a refund of charges.

And it's quite clear that you didn't read that far when you posted the
information.

Yes I did.

Your comment provided no evidence that you had.

I don't think it's really relevent.

The fact remains that if the seller refunds *through the PayPal refund
process*, then there are no deductions. If they don't use the refund
process, then that's a totally different case, which I'm not
interested in discussing any further.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Man at B&Q wrote:

It is? If you use eBay very little and don't sell much it's quite an
annoyance. How do you suggest working around that?

If you get a refund and your balance is less than £50, use the "add
funds" feature to top it up to £50 and then withdraw the whole
balance.

And Paypal haven't got wise to this?

--

Brian
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Man at B&Q wrote:

It's quite clear why using the send momey function does not result in
a refund of charges.

And it's quite clear that you didn't read that far when you posted the
information.

Yes I did.

Your comment provided no evidence that you had.

I don't think it's really relevent.

Other than the fact that it shows that even PayPal accept that charges
can apply to a refund, as they can if the purchaser tries to withdraw
any refund from their PayPal account.

The fact remains that if the seller refunds *through the PayPal refund
process*, then there are no deductions.

My wife must have imagined it.

If they don't use the refund process, then that's a totally different
case, which I'm not interested in discussing any further.

Does the purchaser get to decide how the seller makes the refund? It
seems that is up to the seller and no skin off their nose if the buyer
has to pay something to get their money back.

BTW, I'm taking it from your comments here that you have never attempted
to obtain a refund via PayPal, would that be correct?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Jun 17, 4:36 pm, Brian Morrison wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:
It is? If you use eBay very little and don't sell much it's quite an
annoyance. How do you suggest working around that?

If you get a refund and your balance is less than £50, use the "add
funds" feature to top it up to £50 and then withdraw the whole
balance.

And Paypal haven't got wise to this?

It's a while since I did it, but it worked then. I don't think there's
much to "get wise to". It's a perfectly legitimate scenario to top up
your account in advance of an auction ending (to avoid the delay in
clearing) and then lose the auction so you take your money back ;-)

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 21:13:22 +0000 (UTC), Stephen Gower put finger to
keyboard and typed:

Mark Goodge wrote:

So how come there's no competition for the Competition Commission? :-)

You snipped the mention of the Office of Fair Trading.

I know, that was just unfair.

Mark
--
Miscellaneous remarks at http://Mark.Goodge.co.uk
"I know I can be afraid but I'm alive"
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Man at B&Q wrote:

It is? If you use eBay very little and don't sell much it's quite an
annoyance. How do you suggest working around that?

If you get a refund and your balance is less than £50, use the "add
funds" feature to top it up to £50 and then withdraw the whole
balance.

And Paypal haven't got wise to this?

Oh come on! Can't you wait until you have £50? It's hardly stockbroker
banking!

Mary
on a pension

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Jun 17, 4:39 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
The fact remains that if the seller refunds *through the PayPal refund
process*, then there are no deductions.

My wife must have imagined it.

You've already told us that the seller refused to refund the money.
therefore it's reasonable to assume that your wife did not get a
refund from the seller through the normal PayPal refund process.
Presumably she got something from PayPal themselves, maybe redress for
a broken transaction under the buyers protection scheme. I'm quite
happy to accept that they levy admin charges in that case.

This is not, however, a refund from the seller using the refund button
that appears on the same page as the transaction details. If it were,
no deductions would have been made.

BTW, I'm taking it from your comments here that you have never attempted
to obtain a refund via PayPal, would that be correct?

I have sent and received numerous refunds via PayPal and no deductions
have ever been made.

I have never attempted to obtain a refund *from* PayPal, i.e., the
business entity currently registered in Luxembourg.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Man at B&Q wrote:

I have never attempted to obtain a refund *from* PayPal, i.e., the
business entity currently registered in Luxembourg.

Thanks for confirming that in all your previous blather you had no idea
what you were talking about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Jun 18, 10:05 am, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:

I have never attempted to obtain a refund *from* PayPal, i.e., the
business entity currently registered in Luxembourg.

Thanks for confirming that in all your previous blather you had no idea
what you were talking about.

On the contrary. It's you that too stupid to understand the context
when I first refered to refunds, immediately after you had said:

"I did, the Courier refused to refund money. Even if they had refunded
money they would have done so via PayPal who would have deducted
"administration charges" from the refund."

It's quite clear we are tallking about refunds *FROM THE SELLER*, *VIA
PAYPAL*. It's perfectly reasonable to assume this means clicking the
refund button onthe transaction details page. It's also quite clear
that such refunds DO NOT attract any admin charges.

Others understood that context perfectly and even confirmed what I was
saying, but you choose to put your own interpretation on other peoples
words. Well, I'm tired of your silly little games.

You can have the last word.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Man at B&Q wrote:

It is? If you use eBay very little and don't sell much it's quite an
annoyance. How do you suggest working around that?

If you get a refund and your balance is less than £50, use the "add
funds" feature to top it up to £50 and then withdraw the whole
balance.

And Paypal haven't got wise to this?

Oh come on! Can't you wait until you have £50? It's hardly stockbroker
banking!

I hardly ever sell anything on eBay, so it's rare that money comes into
my account. Hence it had not occurred to me that one could add it and
then remove it to avoid the charges. I got caught out with a refund
recently, it would have been useful to know that I could have done this.

--

Brian
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Man at B&Q wrote:

It is? If you use eBay very little and don't sell much it's quite an
annoyance. How do you suggest working around that?

If you get a refund and your balance is less than £50, use the "add
funds" feature to top it up to £50 and then withdraw the whole
balance.

And Paypal haven't got wise to this?

Of course they have - that's why the limit is set at £50.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Man at B&Q wrote:

You can have the last word.

****wit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In message , at 11:47:24 on Wed, 18 Jun
2008, Huge remarked:
US retail banking is like something out of the Dark Ages.

Up to a point. Where they lead places like the UK is by giving you
scanned copies of all your cheques with your monthly statement.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:44:34 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 11:47:24 on Wed, 18 Jun
2008, Huge remarked:
US retail banking is like something out of the Dark Ages.

Up to a point. Where they lead places like the UK is by giving you
scanned copies of all your cheques with your monthly statement.

What a waste of paper.

Assuming people still use cheques...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

wrote:

In message , at 11:47:24 on Wed, 18 Jun
2008, Huge remarked:
US retail banking is like something out of the Dark Ages.

Up to a point. Where they lead places like the UK is by giving you
scanned copies of all your cheques with your monthly statement.

What a waste of paper.

And power.

Assuming people still use cheques...

I do, that is I receive them willingly :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

In message , at 11:47:24 on Wed, 18 Jun
2008, Huge remarked:
US retail banking is like something out of the Dark Ages.

Up to a point. Where they lead places like the UK is by giving you
scanned copies of all your cheques with your monthly statement.

What a waste of paper.

Assuming people still use cheques...

Nah - they trail the UK. I used to get all my cheques back here. The US
just haven't yet given up on providing something of potential use. (Mind
- difficult to remember the last cheque I wrote - last year I think.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In message , at 13:56:22 on
Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Frank Erskine remarked:
US retail banking is like something out of the Dark Ages.

Up to a point. Where they lead places like the UK is by giving you
scanned copies of all your cheques with your monthly statement.

What a waste of paper.

Assuming people still use cheques...

In the US cheques are used very commonly for paying bills (which are
monthly rather than the typical quarterly in the UK) and for things in
local shops. Hence the attraction of being able to check what each one
was.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:36:13 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 13:56:22 on
Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Frank Erskine remarked:
US retail banking is like something out of the Dark Ages.

Up to a point. Where they lead places like the UK is by giving you
scanned copies of all your cheques with your monthly statement.

What a waste of paper.

Assuming people still use cheques...

In the US cheques are used very commonly for paying bills

Yep, very common still - although it's typical for the bank to
charge money for issuing chequebooks, unlike the UK. Actually, US
banks seem to charge for just about everything - I can never quite
make up my mind if that's a good thing or not.

Where US banks really seem to fall down is in protecting their customers
from fraud (or general incompetence) - they're just a place to store
money (with even worse rates than the UK) and don't do anything to look
after their customer base.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On 2008-06-16, Aly sf333ddf@sfsss'=-3498hfn2nmdf0xdh3222a wrote:

I have had no problem in cashing US dollar cheques.

How? I've got a pile of dollar cheques for daft amounts like $23.39 etc.
They're issued monthly though one of these affiliate accounts.

I can't do anything with them.

Open an account with an American bank, if you can find one that realises that it
is perfectly legal for a non-resident, non-citizen, non-taxpayer without a
Social Security Number to have such an account (it is).

Yep. I did that; as I recall I had to quote them my passport number and I
think I waved my UK driving licence under their noses. Bit different in
my case though as I knew some of the staff at the bank already, and could
do everything in person - but they certainly didn't have a problem with
any legal side.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On 2008-06-18 13:44:34 +0100, Roland Perry said:

In message , at 11:47:24 on Wed, 18
Jun 2008, Huge remarked:
US retail banking is like something out of the Dark Ages.

Up to a point. Where they lead places like the UK is by giving you
scanned copies of all your cheques with your monthly statement.

That's leading? I used to get my cheques back with statements in the
70s. That soon stopped.

Cheques are a deprecated means of payment that should have been dropped
20 years ago. There's certainly no reason for cheques to be used at
all in the 21st century. Last year I wrote one cheque. This year
I am aiming not to write any. In general anybody expecting payment
by cheque does not get repeat business from me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On 2008-06-17 14:22:47 +0100, Roland Perry said:

In message
, at
04:50:24 on Tue, 17 Jun 2008, The Crimson King
remarked:
Well, I, for one, would NOT sell or buy anything on eBay without doing
it through PayPal......

I've happily bought and sold using both bankers_draft-on-collection and
cash-on-collection. The most recent thing I sold, the chap insisted on
paying by Postal Order. A bit of a pain, but fairly risk-free.

Good grief. Do people like that still exist? I had a neighbour at
one time who would insist on going to the gas showroom to pay their
bill to "the gas board" in person and in cash.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On 2008-06-17 14:22:47 +0100, Roland Perry said:

In message
, at
04:50:24 on Tue, 17 Jun 2008, The Crimson King
remarked:
Well, I, for one, would NOT sell or buy anything on eBay without doing
it through PayPal......

I've happily bought and sold using both bankers_draft-on-collection and
cash-on-collection. The most recent thing I sold, the chap insisted on
paying by Postal Order. A bit of a pain, but fairly risk-free.

Good grief. Do people like that still exist? I had a neighbour at one
time who would insist on going to the gas showroom to pay their bill to
"the gas board" in person and in cash.

My father-in-law used to go to the building society every month to
hand them a cheque for the mortgage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On 2008-06-17 14:22:47 +0100, Roland Perry said:

In message
, at
04:50:24 on Tue, 17 Jun 2008, The Crimson King
remarked:
Well, I, for one, would NOT sell or buy anything on eBay without doing
it through PayPal......

I've happily bought and sold using both bankers_draft-on-collection and
cash-on-collection. The most recent thing I sold, the chap insisted on
paying by Postal Order. A bit of a pain, but fairly risk-free.

Good grief. Do people like that still exist? I had a neighbour at one
time who would insist on going to the gas showroom to pay their bill to
"the gas board" in person and in cash.

My father-in-law used to go to the building society every month to
hand them a cheque for the mortgage.

The J R Hartley era.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Andy Hall wrote:

Cheques are a deprecated means of payment that should have been dropped
20 years ago. There's certainly no reason for cheques to be used at all
in the 21st century. Last year I wrote one cheque. This year I am
aiming not to write any. In general anybody expecting payment by
cheque does not get repeat business from me.

Nearly all the cheques we write these days are used to pay for school
trips now that our dentist accepts debit cards.

--

Brian
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Brian Morrison wrote:

Nearly all the cheques we write these days are used to pay for school
trips now that our dentist accepts debit cards.

I use them for paying the dentist actually, it's a nuisance. Plus the
window cleaner, and any personal payments where someone has said they'd
prefer a cheque to a bank transfer (for both sending and receiving).

--
http://lnr.livejournal.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In message 4859247c@qaanaaq, at 16:06:36 on Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Andy
Hall remarked:
Well, I, for one, would NOT sell or buy anything on eBay without doing
it through PayPal......

I've happily bought and sold using both bankers_draft-on-collection
and cash-on-collection. The most recent thing I sold, the chap
insisted on paying by Postal Order. A bit of a pain, but fairly
risk-free.

Good grief. Do people like that still exist?

I'm pretty sure it was a child, and that was the only way they could
easily transmit the funds. I expect "bank of dad" was getting fed up
with being an intermediary.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

"Eleanor Blair" wrote in message
Brian Morrison wrote:

Nearly all the cheques we write these days are used to pay for school
trips now that our dentist accepts debit cards.

I use them for paying the dentist actually, it's a nuisance. Plus the
window cleaner, and any personal payments where someone has said they'd
prefer a cheque to a bank transfer (for both sending and receiving).

Oh! I prefer a bank transfer anytime.

Mary