Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Mark is offline

Default Demise of Ebay?

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 21:49:37 +0100, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname
here.me.uk wrote:

"Jon Green" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I just noticed one can no longer sell on Ebay without offering PayPal.
[...]
Isn't this a monopoly issues? And illegal under EU law..not that paypal
has ever bothered to comply with that.

To be exact, an unlawful restraint of trade, unless my understanding of
the EU regs is completely wrong.

Exactly whose trade is restrained?

The enactment of EU regulations on competition within the UK is the
Competition Act 1998 and I don't see anything in specifying that a certain
form of payment shall be offered that contravenes Section 2 of the Act.

I will not be using eBay to sell anything as long as the restriction
applies, as PayPal is a ridiculously expensive way to trade, but I don't see
that they are breaking any law by doing so.

PayPal is a very expensive way to trade but can be worth it IMHO.

I've sold secondhand stuff for more than the brand new price - so a
few fees is worth it sometimes.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org