Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sliding mitre saw anyone?

Sunday the 25th
http://www.aldi.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-20 22:26:17 +0100, "George" said:

Sunday the 25th
http://www.aldi.co.uk

After buying the potatoes, cabbage and baked beans from there, one can
proceed to a tool supplier to buy a Makita LS1013, DeWalt 708, Bosch
GCM 12SD or Metabo (Elektra Beckum) KGS305.

Any of these will fulfill the role of a proper sliding compound mitre saw.

Aldi may have something that can be boiled and processed to make
something that approximates to potato puree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-20 22:26:17 +0100, "George" said:

Sunday the 25th
http://www.aldi.co.uk

After buying the potatoes, cabbage and baked beans from there, one can
proceed to a tool supplier to buy a Makita LS1013, DeWalt 708, Bosch
GCM 12SD or Metabo (Elektra Beckum) KGS305.

Any of these will fulfill the role of a proper sliding compound mitre saw.

Aldi may have something that can be boiled and processed to make
something that approximates to potato puree.

I think you should go into the power tool trade and start selling high
quality groceries MrHall. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-20 22:26:17 +0100, "George" said:

Sunday the 25th
http://www.aldi.co.uk

After buying the potatoes, cabbage and baked beans from there, one can
proceed to a tool supplier to buy a Makita LS1013, DeWalt 708, Bosch
GCM 12SD or Metabo (Elektra Beckum) KGS305.

Any of these will fulfill the role of a proper sliding compound mitre saw.

Aldi may have something that can be boiled and processed to make
something that approximates to potato puree.

I think you should go into the power tool trade and start selling high
quality groceries MrHall. ;-)

A good proposition.

It would be much easier for a quality tool store to offer vouchers for
a good moules-frites at a local brasserie than it is for a bulk
reseller of cheap, bulk wet potatoes to attempt to sell woodworking
machinery.

This is a 20:1 ratio on price vs. 5:1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote:

Sunday the 25th
http://www.aldi.co.uk

Thanks! That gives me four days to find out what a sliding mitre saw
does, and work out why I might need one someday.

;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message
"George" wrote:

Sunday the 25th
http://www.aldi.co.uk

Thanks! That gives me four days to find out what a sliding mitre saw
does, and work out why I might need one someday.

;-)

Simple anwser to that is...

Lets suppose you want to lay decking ie 200 pieces need cutting to size,now
that would mean alot of effort with a hand saw.

Sure we can just buy a conventional chop saw but at the same price you can
buy a cheap chop saw we have the oppertunity to buy a sliding mitre chop saw
which will cut deeper and wider than the chop saw.
;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
"George" wrote:

Sunday the 25th
http://www.aldi.co.uk

Thanks! That gives me four days to find out what a sliding mitre saw
does, and work out why I might need one someday.

;-)

Simple anwser to that is...

Lets suppose you want to lay decking ie 200 pieces need cutting to size,now
that would mean alot of effort with a hand saw.

Sure we can just buy a conventional chop saw but at the same price you can
buy a cheap chop saw we have the oppertunity to buy a sliding mitre chop saw
which will cut deeper and wider than the chop saw.
;-)

Thanks George, that was quick!

I've been using my plain vanilla mitre saw to cut skirtings and I get
irritated by the fact the saw misses just a little bit at the corner.
Now I need to decide whether it is worth £50 minus 1p to remove that
irritation ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message
"George" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..
"George" wrote:

[...]

Or maybe filing a wee bit off the depth stop?
Or fitting a slightly larger blade?
Or putting a ply packing piece on the saw bed?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-20 22:26:17 +0100, "George" said:

Sunday the 25th
http://www.aldi.co.uk

After buying the potatoes, cabbage and baked beans from there, one can
proceed to a tool supplier to buy a Makita LS1013, DeWalt 708, Bosch
GCM 12SD or Metabo (Elektra Beckum) KGS305.

All of course at 10 times the price of the Aldi machine.

Any of these will fulfill the role of a proper sliding compound mitre saw.

Tempting proposition for the average DIY guy. £500 for a Makita or £50 for
an Aldi. Hmmm. Wonder what the average bloke wanting to cut a few deck
boards would buy?

Aldi may have something that can be boiled and processed to make
something that approximates to potato puree.

Is that why they won 8 quality food awards in 2007?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message

Thanks George, that was quick!

I've been using my plain vanilla mitre saw to cut skirtings and I get
irritated by the fact the saw misses just a little bit at the corner.
Now I need to decide whether it is worth £50 minus 1p to remove that
irritation ...

Hah! you didn't pay attention to your woodwork teacher at school. ;-)

Pack it up on a scrap piece of wood.
Also when cutting a piece of wood put a scrap piece of wood behind
it...stops the other side of the wood getting splintered.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news

On 2008-05-20 22:26:17 +0100, "George" said:

Sunday the 25th
http://www.aldi.co.uk

After buying the potatoes, cabbage and baked beans from there, one can
proceed to a tool supplier to buy a Makita LS1013, DeWalt 708, Bosch
GCM 12SD or Metabo (Elektra Beckum) KGS305.

All of course at 10 times the price of the Aldi machine.

Any of these will fulfill the role of a proper sliding compound mitre
saw.

Tempting proposition for the average DIY guy. £500 for a Makita or £50
for an Aldi. Hmmm. Wonder what the average bloke wanting to cut a few
deck boards would buy?

The Aldi one is a bit pricy.
I have a PPro one that I paid £20 as a refurb that works quite well.

Aldi may have something that can be boiled and processed to make
something that approximates to potato puree.

Is that why they won 8 quality food awards in 2007?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

The Aldi one is a bit pricy.
I have a PPro one that I paid £20 as a refurb that works quite well.

Magic! Dennis,now let us all know where we can get these refurb saws?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message

"dennis@home" wrote in message

The Aldi one is a bit pricy.
I have a PPro one that I paid £20 as a refurb that works quite well.

Magic! Dennis,now let us all know where we can get these refurb saws?

Well its in great bridge, Tipton.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote:

Or maybe filing a wee bit off the depth stop?
Or fitting a slightly larger blade?
Or putting a ply packing piece on the saw bed?

Cheaper than £50 minus 1p for sure! Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message

Thanks George, that was quick!

I've been using my plain vanilla mitre saw to cut skirtings and I get
irritated by the fact the saw misses just a little bit at the corner.
Now I need to decide whether it is worth £50 minus 1p to remove that
irritation ...

Hah! you didn't pay attention to your woodwork teacher at school. ;-)

That's because my school didn't teach woodwork or metalwork, despite
it being a legal requirement. One of many serious disappointments
about that school!

Still, I did get O Level Latin, so I suppose I should be grateful for
that. Rarely has a day gone by since then without me saying to myself
"I am so glad I did O level Latin, so I am."

Pack it up on a scrap piece of wood.
Also when cutting a piece of wood put a scrap piece of wood behind
it...stops the other side of the wood getting splintered.

Thanks. These are basic things that I could easily have learned in a
woodwork class.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
"George" wrote:
Sunday the 25th
http://www.aldi.co.uk

Thanks! That gives me four days to find out what a sliding mitre saw
does, and work out why I might need one someday.

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/mitresaw.htm

(you know you want one!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

proceed to a tool supplier to buy a Makita LS1013, DeWalt 708, Bosch
GCM 12SD or Metabo (Elektra Beckum) KGS305.

All of course at 10 times the price of the Aldi machine.

Any of these will fulfill the role of a proper sliding compound mitre saw.

Tempting proposition for the average DIY guy. £500 for a Makita or £50 for
an Aldi. Hmmm. Wonder what the average bloke wanting to cut a few deck
boards would buy?

I got a nice LS1214 off eBay for PPPro money....

Very nice bit of kit it is too...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 May 2008 23:08:54 +0100, Bruce wrote:

Thanks! That gives me four days to find out what a sliding mitre saw
does, and work out why I might need one someday.

It does that which a non-sliding chop saw doesn't, and thus makes it
almost useless.

I'm about as extreme as Andy Hall when it comes to avoiding tools that
are any less than stellar in performance - but I'll be buying one of
these. 50 quid for making chicken coops in half the time? I'll have
some of that. 30mm bore on the blade too (unusual), so you can easily
find blades for it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-20 23:38:12 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-05-20 22:26:17 +0100, "George" said:

Sunday the 25th
http://www.aldi.co.uk

After buying the potatoes, cabbage and baked beans from there, one can
proceed to a tool supplier to buy a Makita LS1013, DeWalt 708, Bosch
GCM 12SD or Metabo (Elektra Beckum) KGS305.

All of course at 10 times the price of the Aldi machine.

and ...

Any of these will fulfill the role of a proper sliding compound mitre saw.

Tempting proposition for the average DIY guy. £500 for a Makita or £50 for
an Aldi. Hmmm. Wonder what the average bloke wanting to cut a few deck
boards would buy?

That would depend on whether he wants to do a proper job or not.

Aldi may have something that can be boiled and processed to make
something that approximates to potato puree.

Is that why they won 8 quality food awards in 2007?

Microsoft received awards for corporate citizenship.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-20 23:31:06 +0100, Bruce said:

"George" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
"George" wrote:

[...]

Not really. You will simply replace it with another irritation when
you discover that cheap SCM saws are not capable of repeatable and
consistent cuts without resetting and checking before each one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-20 23:36:16 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

"Bruce" wrote in message
"George" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message

I've been using my plain vanilla mitre saw to cut skirtings and I get
irritated by the fact the saw misses just a little bit at the corner.
Now I need to decide whether it is worth £50 minus 1p to remove that
irritation ...

Or maybe filing a wee bit off the depth stop?
Or fitting a slightly larger blade?
Or putting a ply packing piece on the saw bed?

Or visiting local A&E department....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-20 23:36:16 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

"Bruce" wrote in message
"George" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message

I've been using my plain vanilla mitre saw to cut skirtings and I get
irritated by the fact the saw misses just a little bit at the corner.
Now I need to decide whether it is worth £50 minus 1p to remove that
irritation ...

Or maybe filing a wee bit off the depth stop?
Or fitting a slightly larger blade?
Or putting a ply packing piece on the saw bed?

Or visiting local A&E department....

You have never made tools have you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
I've been using my plain vanilla mitre saw to cut skirtings and I get
irritated by the fact the saw misses just a little bit at the corner.
Now I need to decide whether it is worth £50 minus 1p to remove that
irritation ...

I do have a sliding mitre saw - but a B&Q one. Which can just cut 12"
shelves etc. Anything less would be a real pain. Means a 10" blade, though
and is of course much larger overall. It's not perfect but excellent value
- I couldn't have justified the 500 quid plus for a 'name' one.

--
*I speak fluent patriarchy but it's not my mother tongue

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
Pack it up on a scrap piece of wood.
Also when cutting a piece of wood put a scrap piece of wood behind
it...stops the other side of the wood getting splintered.

Thanks. These are basic things that I could easily have learned in a
woodwork class.

I doubt it. Like all such things they tend to teach only the 'correct' way
and leave out the practical bits you'll need for DIY.

--
*Who are these kids and why are they calling me Mom?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 4833a2fa@qaanaaq,
On 2008-05-20 23:31:06 +0100, Bruce said:

"George" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
"George" wrote:

[...]

It's likely to be far more accurate than cutting by hand or with a hand
power tool - for the average person. Not everyone will want it for cabinet
making and it's likely to be more than adequate for joinery.

In other words a fiddle player won't get the best out of a Stradivarius.

--
*El nino made me do it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bruce wrote:
Pack it up on a scrap piece of wood.
Also when cutting a piece of wood put a scrap piece of wood behind
it...stops the other side of the wood getting splintered.

Thanks. These are basic things that I could easily have learned in a
woodwork class.

I doubt it. Like all such things they tend to teach only the 'correct' way
and leave out the practical bits you'll need for DIY.

The only electric thing I was ever allowed to use in woodwork was the
gluepot. :-(

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Or maybe filing a wee bit off the depth stop?
Or fitting a slightly larger blade?
Or putting a ply packing piece on the saw bed?

Or visiting local A&E department....

Confusious say
Man who get distracted is silly bugger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DM DM is offline

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Tue, 20 May 2008 23:08:54 +0100, Bruce wrote:

Thanks! That gives me four days to find out what a sliding mitre saw
does, and work out why I might need one someday.

It does that which a non-sliding chop saw doesn't, and thus makes it
almost useless.

I'm about as extreme as Andy Hall when it comes to avoiding tools that
are any less than stellar in performance - but I'll be buying one of
these. 50 quid for making chicken coops in half the time? I'll have
some of that. 30mm bore on the blade too (unusual), so you can easily
find blades for it.

Andy do you want to try writing this again, or was every sentence meant to
be contradictory?

I'm sure you know what you meant to say, but it is difficult to interpret
anything from it.

cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 May, 10:37, DM wrote:

It does that which a non-sliding chop saw doesn't, and thus makes it
almost useless.

A non-sliding chop saw chops. It doesn't do anything else. As a
result, they're of little practical use for anything - butt joints and
that's about it.

Stick a slide on there, with a depth stop, and the assumption is that
you get wider cuts. This is true, but not really that useful either.
Unless you pay several hundred quid you don't get _enough_ width to
cut more than a narrow skirting. If you do pay the full whack for a
big one, you've still only bought a flimsy unbalanaced radial arm saw.

What the really useful benefit on a sliding mitre saw with a depth
stop is, is its ability to cut halved joints quickly. _Now_ you've got
a useful tool for simpler carpentry, particularly chicken coops and
shopfitting or stud walls.

Incidentally, if you want a cheap radial arm saw, just find someone
who's got one and wait. After they've scared themselves ****less when
ripping went wrong on it, offer them a fiver to take it away. While
they're still shaking, they'll be only too glad to see it go. Then
went you get it home, lock the head so that it can't be swivelled for
ripping any more.

30mm bore on the blade too (unusual), so you can easily find blades for it.

Cheap chop saws have a habit of using funny spindle diameters so you
can't replace the blade, either for a better one, a new sharp one, or
for a more appropriate choice of tooth. 30mm is standard though and
there's a big range.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-21 09:00:31 +0100, "dennis@home"

On 2008-05-20 23:36:16 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

"Bruce" wrote in message
"George" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message

I've been using my plain vanilla mitre saw to cut skirtings and I get
irritated by the fact the saw misses just a little bit at the corner.
Now I need to decide whether it is worth £50 minus 1p to remove that
irritation ...

Or maybe filing a wee bit off the depth stop?
Or fitting a slightly larger blade?
Or putting a ply packing piece on the saw bed?

Or visiting local A&E department....

You have never made tools have you?

Sure, but always safe ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-21 09:00:31 +0100, "dennis@home"

On 2008-05-20 23:36:16 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

"Bruce" wrote in message
"George" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message

I've been using my plain vanilla mitre saw to cut skirtings and I get
irritated by the fact the saw misses just a little bit at the corner.
Now I need to decide whether it is worth £50 minus 1p to remove that
irritation ...

Or maybe filing a wee bit off the depth stop?
Or fitting a slightly larger blade?
Or putting a ply packing piece on the saw bed?

Or visiting local A&E department....

You have never made tools have you?

Sure, but always safe ones.

So how do you know it isn't safe?
Do you always jump to unfound conclusions or is that just here?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

Cheap chop saws have a habit of using funny spindle diameters so you
can't replace the blade, either for a better one, a new sharp one, or
for a more appropriate choice of tooth. 30mm is standard though and
there's a big range.

My cheap ebay one cost £80

I can't fault it,gives accurate cut after cut ie no resetting of its
adustents.
The blade is 254x25 which isn't a standard blade size realy but screwfix do
em along with Tooled-up and probably elsewere if I look.

:-P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

Cheap chop saws have a habit of using funny spindle diameters so you
can't replace the blade, either for a better one, a new sharp one, or
for a more appropriate choice of tooth. 30mm is standard though and
there's a big range.

My cheap ebay one cost £80

I can't fault it,gives accurate cut after cut ie no resetting of its
adustents.

You obviously don't know what Andy's definition of accurate is. What
equipment are you using to verify said accuracy? I fear you may need to
upgrade to something frightfully expensive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

Cheap chop saws have a habit of using funny spindle diameters so you
can't replace the blade, either for a better one, a new sharp one, or
for a more appropriate choice of tooth. 30mm is standard though and
there's a big range.

My cheap ebay one cost £80

I can't fault it,gives accurate cut after cut ie no resetting of its
adustents.

You obviously don't know what Andy's definition of accurate is. What
equipment are you using to verify said accuracy? I fear you may need to
upgrade to something frightfully expensive.

Well if I cut a piece of 2x2 I can't see daylight on the cut edge using a
set square like I was taught by my woodwork teacher ie if I can see daylight
between the cut surface and the edge of the set square then its not flat.

If I cut or mitre a piece of 6" skirting either vertically or flat on its
face then it'll be true with the same said setsquare.
Oh! and the setsquare is accurate as well ie now and again I'll put it
against a square metal block of steel that I milled when doing training in
an engineering machine shop.

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 May, 12:35, stuart noble wrote:

You obviously don't know what Andy's definition of accurate is.

What are we talking though? Carpentry, cabinetry or horseshoes? For
the crude softwood carpentry for which I'd use a chop saw, I'm not
really that bothered about accuracy or precision. For the tasks where
I do care, a chop saw is just the wrong sort of tool to even make the
cut, let alone make it accurately.

My beef with the simple chopsaws is that I just don't have much need
in my life for simple butt joints.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Hall
saying something like:

On 2008-05-20 22:26:17 +0100, "George" said:

Sunday the 25th
http://www.aldi.co.uk

After buying the potatoes, cabbage and baked beans from there, one can
proceed to a tool supplier to buy a Makita LS1013, DeWalt 708, Bosch
GCM 12SD or Metabo (Elektra Beckum) KGS305.

Any of these will fulfill the role of a proper sliding compound mitre saw.

Aldi may have something that can be boiled and processed to make
something that approximates to potato puree.

Ah, ffs, change the record.

Actually, these days - I think your laser's stuck.

--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 21, 1:02 am, Bruce wrote:
"George" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message

I've been using my plain vanilla mitre saw to cut skirtings and I get
irritated by the fact the saw misses just a little bit at the corner.
Now I need to decide whether it is worth £50 minus 1p to remove that
irritation ...

Hah! you didn't pay attention to your woodwork teacher at school. ;-)

That's because my school didn't teach woodwork or metalwork, despite
it being a legal requirement.

Really? I thought that prior the national curriculum, the only legal
requirement was religious education (which could be opted out of by
the parents).
One of many serious disappointments about that school!

Still, I did get O Level Latin,

Which makes it unlikely that you were educated in the days of the
national curriculum :-)

(Actually, I am assuming that the school was in England or Wales. I
believe that some schools abroad still do O-levels)

so I suppose I should be grateful for
that. Rarely has a day gone by since then without me saying to myself
"I am so glad I did O level Latin, so I am."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-21 21:12:13 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Hall
saying something like:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-21 21:12:13 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon

On 2008-05-20 22:26:17 +0100, "George" said:

Sunday the 25th
http://www.aldi.co.uk

After buying the potatoes, cabbage and baked beans from there, one can
proceed to a tool supplier to buy a Makita LS1013, DeWalt 708, Bosch
GCM 12SD or Metabo (Elektra Beckum) KGS305.

Any of these will fulfill the role of a proper sliding compound mitre saw.

Aldi may have something that can be boiled and processed to make
something that approximates to potato puree.

Ah, ffs, change the record.

Actually, these days - I think your laser's stuck.

It's more reasonable to present the proper tool for doing a job than an
unsuitable one from an unsuitable supplier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-21 12:00:01 +0100, "dennis@home"

On 2008-05-21 09:00:31 +0100, "dennis@home"

On 2008-05-20 23:36:16 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

"Bruce" wrote in message
"George" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message

I've been using my plain vanilla mitre saw to cut skirtings and I get
irritated by the fact the saw misses just a little bit at the corner.
Now I need to decide whether it is worth £50 minus 1p to remove that
irritation ...

Or maybe filing a wee bit off the depth stop?
Or fitting a slightly larger blade?
Or putting a ply packing piece on the saw bed?

Or visiting local A&E department....

You have never made tools have you?

Sure, but always safe ones.

So how do you know it isn't safe?
Do you always jump to unfound conclusions or is that just here?

Like any woodworking machine, a SCMS is designed in a specific way to
meet certain safety requirements. This particular family of
machines, like radial arm saws of which these are a cousin, will do a
very good job if used properly, with proper guards in place and not
modified outside of the manufacturer's design.

Do you know what the safety implication of filing from the depth stop is?

Do you know what the effect of fitting a larger blade will be on
stopping time or the forces on the machine?

Did you ask the manufacturer whether he was prepared to under-write
modifications?