Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Looking at Bosch 5412l sliding mitre saw

I'm thinking about buying the Bosch 5412l saw, from Amazon. Looks like a
good deal, just wondering if anyone has one or knows if it is any good. It's
$549 with free shipping. Any helpful info welcome. See it at:
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-5412L-12...5638672&sr=1-1
or at the Bosch website:
http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tool...=54931&I=64805

Thanks
Jimmy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 28, 12:15 pm, "Jimmy" wrote:
I'm thinking about buying the Bosch 5412l saw, from Amazon. Looks like a
good deal, just wondering if anyone has one or knows if it is any good. It's
$549 with free shipping. Any helpful info welcome. See it at:http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-5412L-12...g/dp/B0007LQPU...
or at the Bosch website:http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tool...81&G=54931&I=6...

The 10" version got rated Best Overall in Fine Woodworking recently.
I've used the 12" and found it to be very user friendly. Unless
you're looking to spend a lot more money on an Omga or a CTD I think
you'll be very happy with it.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

I just looked at the Rigid at
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100014738
and it has the lifetime warranty, plus the price tag says $499. I've heard
good things about Rigid, but I want whichever saw is better. Anyone have a
Rigid saw like this?
"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 28, 12:15 pm, "Jimmy" wrote:
I'm thinking about buying the Bosch 5412l saw, from Amazon. Looks like a
good deal, just wondering if anyone has one or knows if it is any good.
It's
$549 with free shipping. Any helpful info welcome. See it
at:http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-5412L-12...g/dp/B0007LQPU...
or at the Bosch
website:http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tool...81&G=54931&I=6...

The 10" version got rated Best Overall in Fine Woodworking recently.
I've used the 12" and found it to be very user friendly. Unless
you're looking to spend a lot more money on an Omga or a CTD I think
you'll be very happy with it.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 12:15:51 -0400, "Jimmy"
wrote:

I'm thinking about buying the Bosch 5412l saw, from Amazon. Looks like a
good deal, just wondering if anyone has one or knows if it is any good. It's
$549 with free shipping. Any helpful info welcome. See it at:
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-5412L-12...5638672&sr=1-1
or at the Bosch website:
http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tool...=54931&I=64805

I'd ask yourself if you really need anything a 12" slider gives you
over a 10" slider. Sure the 12" has a rebate on it now that makes it
not much more, but 12" blades are more expensive than 10" so it will
cost you even more over the long run.

I have the 10" single bevel bosch slider and I've been happy with it.

There's supposed to be this little black 90 degree elbow that goes on
it before the dust bag that I couldn't get to go on, so I hooked the
bag directly to it. I found that it would get clogged up, because it
takes time for the bag to inflate and the part at the neck is the last
to open up, by which time your cut is already done. I don't know if
having that elbow in there prevents that, but what I did was cut a
toilet paper roll and tape it into the neck of the bag. Now it
doesn't get clogged up and a lot more sawdust ends up in the bag. It
still throws more than half of it all over the place, but at least
it's something.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

news
wrote:

[...]

Don't have this problem with my Bosch. The elbow won't fit when the room
temperature is too cold. Try dropping it into a cup of hot water and than
use liquid soap as lubricant.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

I'm thinking about buying the Bosch 5412l saw, from Amazon....

I'd ask yourself if you really need anything a 12" slider gives you
over a 10" slider. Sure the 12" has a rebate on it now that makes it
not much more, but 12" blades are more expensive than 10" so it will
cost you even more over the long run.

Well, I guess it's worth "asking", but imo the answer would
unequivocally be "Of course!".

All it takes is the one project the 10" doesn't have the capacity and
you've made it worth it and would be kicking yourself for being cheap
back then when had the chance.

The cost differential for blades is pretty inconsequential item on which
to make the judgment imo. If they were a high-volume consumable,
perhaps, but given the lifetime of a quality blade, not a big deal for a
saw...

imo, ymmv, $0.02, etc., ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

All it takes is the one project the 10" doesn't have the capacity and
you've made it worth it and would be kicking yourself for being cheap
back then when had the chance.

The cost differential for blades is pretty inconsequential item on which
to make the judgment imo. If they were a high-volume consumable,
perhaps, but given the lifetime of a quality blade, not a big deal for a
saw...

but you loose accuracy with a 12" as the blade flexes.