Doctor Drivel

Default Erbauer sliding mitre saw

A new line and a 80mm x 300mm cut. Sounds good at £129

Anyone had an Erbauer saw?

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
A new line and a 80mm x 300mm cut. Sounds good at £129

Says unavailable. ;-)

Anyone had an Erbauer saw?

Personally, I'd go for one with a full 12" cut. More use for shelving, etc.

--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
AlexW

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

A new line and a 80mm x 300mm cut. Sounds good at £129

Says unavailable. ;-)

Oh yes. What happend to 100% ex stock?

Anyone had an Erbauer saw?

Personally, I'd go for one with a full 12" cut. More use for shelving, etc.

You could place the shelving to cut on an some off cut etc to make up
the 5mm or so, unless te shelf is very deep (say 70mm)!

Doctor Drivel

"AlexW" wrote in message

You could place the shelving to cut on an some off cut etc to make up
the 5mm or so, unless te shelf is very deep (say 70mm)!

Everything is in mm these days. I have not seen 12" shelves for eons.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:05:22 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

A new line and a 80mm x 300mm cut. Sounds good at £129

Anyone had an Erbauer saw?

I've looked. About as good as a Ravenheat boiler.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Doctor Drivel

wrote:

A new line and a 80mm x 300mm cut. Sounds good at £129

Anyone had an Erbauer saw?

I've looked. About as good as a Ravenheat boiler.

Matt, have you looked at this saw in the real, or are making things up
again? Screwfix have Ferm and now Titan, as the budget range and promoted
Erbauer as the semi pro/pro range. Some of the Erbauer stuff is not cheap at
all.

AlexW

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"AlexW" wrote in message

You could place the shelving to cut on an some off cut etc to make up
the 5mm or so, unless te shelf is very deep (say 70mm)!

Everything is in mm these days. I have not seen 12" shelves for eons.

OK 304.8 mm, point's the same though ... timber being cut may be
reclaimed for example, not metric chipboard from a big shed.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:50:56 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

A new line and a 80mm x 300mm cut. Sounds good at £129

Anyone had an Erbauer saw?

I've looked. About as good as a Ravenheat boiler.

Matt, have you looked at this saw in the real, or are making things up
again? Screwfix have Ferm and now Titan, as the budget range and promoted
Erbauer as the semi pro/pro range. Some of the Erbauer stuff is not cheap at
all.

You'll have to ask Matt about that.

I have seen Erbauer products, including those you mention and they are
another bag of generic and underwhelming stuff.

Whether they promote the stuff as pro or semi-pro is only relevant if
they also have the service, backup and spares.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Bob Martin

in 456726 20051012 153046 AlexW wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

A new line and a 80mm x 300mm cut. Sounds good at £129

Says unavailable. ;-)

Oh yes. What happend to 100% ex stock?

Depends whether it means the saw is unavailable or the quantity in stock
is unavailable. I'd guess the latter.
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

A new line and a 80mm x 300mm cut. Sounds good at £129

Anyone had an Erbauer saw?

I've looked. About as good as a Ravenheat boiler.

Matt, have you looked at this saw in the real, or are making things up
again? Screwfix have Ferm and now Titan, as the budget range and

promoted
Erbauer as the semi pro/pro range. Some of the Erbauer stuff is not cheap

at
all.

You'll have to ask Matt about that.

I have seen Erbauer products, including those you mention and they are
another bag of generic and underwhelming stuff.

Whether they promote the stuff as pro or semi-pro is only relevant if
they also have the service, backup and spares.

Matt, the vast majority of Screwfixes customers are the trade and the vast
majority of their power tools are pro tools. So, they must shift a lot of
these to the trade. If they were useless they would not be sold.

AlexW

Bob Martin wrote:
in 456726 20051012 153046 AlexW wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

A new line and a 80mm x 300mm cut. Sounds good at £129

Says unavailable. ;-)

Oh yes. What happend to 100% ex stock?

Depends whether it means the saw is unavailable or the quantity in stock
is unavailable. I'd guess the latter.

Well we can't really be sure unless your familiar with the screwfix
stock control / orders system ?

I'm not sure that I'd assume the latter, as I would have though that
they would have an integrated stock control / orders system (who knows
though?) and thus if it was the latter then this to me would indicate a
systemic problem (which does not appear to be the case looking at other
power tools).

Who knows, but I can't order it though ...

.... not that I actually want to.

Alex.
Andy Hall

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:40:59 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

the vast majority of Screwfixes customers are the trade and the vast
majority of their power tools are pro tools. So, they must shift a lot of
these to the trade. If they were useless they would not be sold.

That's your typical (il)logic. It is tantamount to saying that a cow
is a four legged animal, therefore all four legged animals are cows.

Screwfix sells a variety of power tools ranging from the entry level
Erbauer, Ferm and Ryobi stuff to professional products such as Makita,
DeWalt and Bosch.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

the vast majority of Screwfixes customers are the trade and the vast
majority of their power tools are pro tools. So, they must shift a lot

of
these to the trade. If they were useless they would not be sold.

That's your typical (il)logic. It is tantamount to
saying that a cow is a four legged animal,
therefore all four legged animals are cows.

Matt, no, it wasn't. What I said was that, this is their own brand trade
range and it sells well to the trade. I never mentioned a cow.

Screwfix sells a variety of power tools ranging from the entry level
Erbauer, Ferm and Ryobi stuff to professional products such as Makita,
DeWalt and Bosch.

Wrong. Ferm, now and Titan, is the entry level. Riyobi and Erbauer are in
the same trade pages as the Makitas and Hitachis. The Ferm have their own
pages to differentiate. When introduced about 2 or 3 years ago, Screwfix
made a big thing about the pro quality of the Erbauer with cutaways
indicating the high quality components and that they came from Germany.

From his loft perch in Makita Mansion, Matt thinks that only Makita is a pro
tool.

wrote:

the vast majority of Screwfixes customers are the trade and the vast
majority of their power tools are pro tools. So, they must shift a lot of
these to the trade. If they were useless they would not be sold.

That's your typical (il)logic. It is tantamount to saying that a cow
is a four legged animal, therefore all four legged animals are cows.

Screwfix sells a variety of power tools ranging from the entry level
Erbauer, Ferm and Ryobi stuff to professional products such as Makita,
DeWalt and Bosch.

Sorry, Andy, but Ryobi stuff is not entry level. The stuff varies.
Are the following entry level products?:

The Erbauer stuff is from the same stable as the Argos/Homebase Worx
range. Never used it myself but if Erbauer claim to be for professional
use you'd think they'd tell you the torque figures for their combi
drills. I think you could buy the stuff cheaper under another guise.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
AlexW wrote:
A new line and a 80mm x 300mm cut. Sounds good at £129

Says unavailable. ;-)

Oh yes. What happend to 100% ex stock?

Still says unavailable - not that I'm familiar with the Screwfix site.

Anyone had an Erbauer saw?

Personally, I'd go for one with a full 12" cut. More use for shelving,
etc.

You could place the shelving to cut on an some off cut etc to make up
the 5mm or so, unless te shelf is very deep (say 70mm)!

Think you're missing the point.

--
*Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Matt, the vast majority of Screwfixes customers are the trade and the
vast majority of their power tools are pro tools.

I'd love to see the evidence of this.

So, they must shift a lot of these to the trade. If they were useless
they would not be sold.

Plenty of fools like you who think all power tools are the same and only
consider price.

--
* I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Matt, no, it wasn't. What I said was that, this is their own brand trade
range and it sells well to the trade. I never mentioned a cow.

No, but you should have mentioned cowboys. The day I see Erbauer being
used by a true pro is the day I'll believe you.
But then talking about cows I'll have to wait 'till one flies by.

--
*Laugh alone and the world thinks you're an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Matt, the vast majority of Screwfixes customers are the trade and the
vast majority of their power tools are pro tools.

I'd love to see the evidence of this.

Richard, it is called the catalogue.

snip senile drivel

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Matt, no, it wasn't. What I said was that, this is their own brand

trade
range and it sells well to the trade. I never mentioned a cow.

No, but you should have mentioned cowboys.

That's right. Cowboys ride cows.

snip senile disjointed babble

Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:

the vast majority of Screwfixes customers are the trade and the vast
majority of their power tools are pro tools. So, they must shift a lot

of
these to the trade. If they were useless they would not be sold.

That's your typical (il)logic. It is tantamount to saying that a cow
is a four legged animal, therefore all four legged animals are cows.

Screwfix sells a variety of power tools ranging from the entry level
Erbauer, Ferm and Ryobi stuff to professional products such as Makita,
DeWalt and Bosch.

Sorry, Andy, but Ryobi stuff is not entry level. The stuff varies.
Are the following entry level products?:

Yes over £200 for some. But Matt/Lord Hall spouting from Makita mansion, is
convinced they will fall apart after the first try.

The Erbauer stuff is from the same stable as the Argos/Homebase Worx
range. Never used it myself but if Erbauer claim to be for professional
use you'd think they'd tell you the torque figures for their combi
drills. I think you could buy the stuff cheaper under another guise.

It seems to be well priced...and German. The Erbauer sliding mitre saw is
£129, while the Challenge Extreme, with similar specs and looks, is £149. I
think the Erbauer have a 2 or 3 year guarantee, while Argos have one.

When Erbauer first came out some of the drills were over £200.

Matt

"Doctor Drivel" incorrectly dribbled:

.. .
wrote:

the vast majority of Screwfixes customers are the trade and the vast
majority of their power tools are pro tools. So, they must shift a lot

of
these to the trade. If they were useless they would not be sold.

That's your typical (il)logic. It is tantamount to
saying that a cow is a four legged animal,
therefore all four legged animals are cows.

Andy, no, it wasn't. What I said was that, this is their own brand trade
range and it sells well to the trade. I never mentioned a cow.

Screwfix sells a variety of power tools ranging from the entry level
Erbauer, Ferm and Ryobi stuff to professional products such as Makita,
DeWalt and Bosch.

Wrong. Ferm, now and Titan, is the entry level. Riyobi and Erbauer are in
the same trade pages as the Makitas and Hitachis. The Ferm have their own
pages to differentiate. When introduced about 2 or 3 years ago, Screwfix
made a big thing about the pro quality of the Erbauer with cutaways
indicating the high quality components and that they came from Germany.

From his loft perch in Makita Mansion, Matt thinks that only Makita is a pro
tool.

Dribble, how many times do you have to be told Andy Hall and I are
totally separate entities?

As for thinking Makita is the only pro tool I don't. I actually only
own three Makita tools, a jigsaw from years ago that takes the old
Makita blades (now I more regularly use a Bosch GST135) , a more
recently purchased circular saw and a filing sander. That collection
is shortly to be extended though, one of them being a definite Makita
purchase, the other a Makita maybe.

For the record my cheapest "power tool" purchase in the past few
months was about 40 quid for a router, the most expensive bought in
2004 cost just over 26000 quid, has a peak electrical load of 30kW and
weights around 2500kg, neither are made by Makita.

As for purchasing *anything* by Erbauer or Ryobi, or any combi
boiler/shanty town water heater for that matter I'll give them a big
miss.

Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
ups.com...

The Erbauer stuff is from the same stable as the Argos/Homebase Worx
range. Never used it myself but if Erbauer claim to be for professional
use you'd think they'd tell you the torque figures for their combi
drills. I think you could buy the stuff cheaper under another guise.

An article about Worx. It is Light Trade and positioned between mid to high
end.
http://www.hardwarejournal.com.au/ar...?ArticleID=624

Doctor Drivel

"Matt" wrote in message
"Doctor Drivel" incorrectly dribbled:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

From his loft perch in Makita Mansion, Matt thinks that only Makita is a

pro
tool.

Lord Hall, stop making things up.

snip Lord Hall drivel

Andy Hall

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 18:59:57 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Wrong. Ferm, now and Titan, is the entry level. Riyobi and Erbauer are in
the same trade pages as the Makitas and Hitachis.

That's simply catalogue layout and positioning. It doesn't make
either product of the same quality level as Makita or Hitachi.

The Ferm have their own
pages to differentiate.

Best thing really.

When introduced about 2 or 3 years ago, Screwfix
made a big thing about the pro quality of the Erbauer with cutaways
indicating the high quality components and that they came from Germany.

They may well have done, but this has no bearing on reality. They
have simply purchased the rights to the use of a German brand name, in
the same way that the JCB name is on bottom end power tools which
don't detract from their excavator range.

From his loft perch in Makita Mansion, Matt thinks that only Makita is a pro
tool.

I doubt if he does, but you can discuss that with him.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

wrote:

the vast majority of Screwfixes customers are the trade and the vast
majority of their power tools are pro tools. So, they must shift a lot of
these to the trade. If they were useless they would not be sold.

That's your typical (il)logic. It is tantamount to saying that a cow
is a four legged animal, therefore all four legged animals are cows.

Screwfix sells a variety of power tools ranging from the entry level
Erbauer, Ferm and Ryobi stuff to professional products such as Makita,
DeWalt and Bosch.

Sorry, Andy, but Ryobi stuff is not entry level.

It is as close to it as makes little difference.

The stuff varies.
Are the following entry level products?:

In comparison with the Bosch GSA24VE, most definitely.

Certainly, in comparison to the Makita 6337 and Festool products.

I've used one. In comparison to the Elu designs such as the DW625
and CMT, it is distinctly poor.

The Erbauer stuff is from the same stable as the Argos/Homebase Worx
range. Never used it myself but if Erbauer claim to be for professional
use you'd think they'd tell you the torque figures for their combi
drills. I think you could buy the stuff cheaper under another guise.

I'm not positively influenced by SF's marketing of Erbauer.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 22:37:28 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

wrote in message

The Erbauer stuff is from the same stable as the Argos/Homebase Worx
range. Never used it myself but if Erbauer claim to be for professional
use you'd think they'd tell you the torque figures for their combi
drills. I think you could buy the stuff cheaper under another guise.

It seems to be well priced...and German.

Oh come on......

The Erbauer sliding mitre saw is
£129, while the Challenge Extreme, with similar specs and looks, is £149. I
think the Erbauer have a 2 or 3 year guarantee, while Argos have one.

The difference covers the projected return rate.....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

wrote in message

The Erbauer stuff is from the same stable as the Argos/Homebase Worx
range. Never used it myself but if Erbauer claim to be for professional
use you'd think they'd tell you the torque figures for their combi
drills. I think you could buy the stuff cheaper under another guise.

It seems to be well priced...and German.

Oh come on......

The Erbauer sliding mitre saw is
£129, while the Challenge Extreme, with similar specs and looks, is £149.

think the Erbauer have a 2 or 3 year guarantee, while Argos have one.

The difference covers the projected return rate.....

Matt, you made that up.

Andy Hall wrote:

It is as close to it as makes little difference.

In comparison with the Bosch GSA24VE, most definitely.

Certainly, in comparison to the Makita 6337 and Festool products.

I've used one. In comparison to the Elu designs such as the DW625
and CMT, it is distinctly poor.

That does not make it entry level and there's a big difference between
those products and Ferm.

I'm not positively influenced by SF's marketing of Erbauer.

Likewise

Andy Hall

On 13 Oct 2005 11:03:24 -0700, wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

It is as close to it as makes little difference.

In comparison with the Bosch GSA24VE, most definitely.

Certainly, in comparison to the Makita 6337 and Festool products.

I've used one. In comparison to the Elu designs such as the DW625
and CMT, it is distinctly poor.

That does not make it entry level and there's a big difference between
those products and Ferm.

The problem is that it isn't very different to the lowest priced
products where it matters:

- Actual torque delivered to the cutter
- Smoothness of plunge action

I'm not positively influenced by SF's marketing of Erbauer.

Likewise

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
ups.com...

Andy Hall wrote:

It is as close to it as makes little difference.

In comparison with the Bosch GSA24VE, most definitely.

Certainly, in comparison to the Makita 6337 and Festool products.

I've used one. In comparison to the Elu designs such as the DW625
and CMT, it is distinctly poor.

That does not make it entry level and there's a big difference between
those products and Ferm.

Matt/Lord Hall, thinks all power tools except Makita are DIY, so you have to
know the mentality of Matt/Lord Hall. In the Screwfix book.. A Ryobi 18v
for £164 (some cheap DIY eh) next to a Makita 18v for £179. The Makita has
3 batteries to the Riobi two, so about the same price.

I'm not positively influenced by SF's marketing of Erbauer.

Why not? Erbauer has a slot in the book with a cutaway pointing at the
quality of the drill, Jacobs chuck, etc. It is clearly aimed at the pro
market. A Google gives some positive reports, and a 3yr "professional"
guarantee. They are well priced and quality products.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:49:30 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Andy Hall wrote:

It is as close to it as makes little difference.

In comparison with the Bosch GSA24VE, most definitely.

Certainly, in comparison to the Makita 6337 and Festool products.

I've used one. In comparison to the Elu designs such as the DW625
and CMT, it is distinctly poor.

That does not make it entry level and there's a big difference between
those products and Ferm.

Matt/Lord Hall, thinks all power tools except Makita are DIY, so you have to
know the mentality of Matt/Lord Hall.

You'll have to ask Matt what he thinks.

I've never said that all power tools other than Makita are DIY. I
select based on quality, performance and price, usually in that order.

I have some Makita tools (mainly cordless because of battery
commonality and because my view is that their cordless drills are the
best on the market except for certain Panasonic and Festool models.
I also have a Makita belt sander and a Makita sliding compound mitre
saw. Both of these have been reviewed as best in class and after
trying several of each found the same.

Other than that I have power tools made by Hitachi, Bosch, DeWalt,
Lamello, Senco, Porter Cable and Metabo; each chosen as best for
purpose.

In the Screwfix book.. A Ryobi 18v
for £164 (some cheap DIY eh) next to a Makita 18v for £179. The Makita has
3 batteries to the Riobi two, so about the same price.

It isn't simply a price issue in either direction. I've compared
these products side by side and they are not in the same league in
terms of handling or performance. The Ryobi should not be priced
above £100 given the comparative quality.

I'm not positively influenced by SF's marketing of Erbauer.

Why not?

Because it's only just about one step up from the superstars in Aldi's
marketing department.

Erbauer has a slot in the book with a cutaway pointing at the
quality of the drill, Jacobs chuck, etc.

... and this impresses you?

It is clearly aimed at the pro
market.

It may be aimed, but doesn't have the level of quality and performance
to achieve it.

A Google gives some positive reports, and a 3yr "professional"
guarantee.

What is that supposed to mean? THe "guarantee" is purely calculated
as a marketing ploy to balance attractiveness to the naive buyer
against acceptable return rate. I see no mention of spares and
service arrangements which are prerequisites for a professional
product.

They are well priced and quality products.

If by "well priced" you mean low priced, I'll give you that. It's
really the only positive attribute. However, it is farcical to say
that these are of high quality.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall wrote:nd Ferm.

Erbauer has a slot in the book with a cutaway pointing at the
quality of the drill, Jacobs chuck, etc.

.. and this impresses you?

lol...I think Jacobs crackers are probably better.

What I love is the quote in the catalogue about Erbauer: "If you're the
one that chooses the tools for your company, this is the drill to add
to your list" Lee Daniels, Professional Builder.

Who the **** is Lee Daniels?

Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:49:30 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Andy Hall wrote:

It is as close to it as makes little difference.

In comparison with the Bosch GSA24VE, most definitely.

Certainly, in comparison to the Makita 6337 and Festool products.

I've used one. In comparison to the Elu designs such as the DW625
and CMT, it is distinctly poor.

That does not make it entry level and there's a big difference between
those products and Ferm.

Matt/Lord Hall, thinks all power tools except Makita are DIY, so you have

know the mentality of Matt/Lord Hall.

You'll have to ask Matt what he thinks.

What do you think Mat?

I've never said that all power tools
other than Makita are DIY.

You did.

I select based on quality, performance
and price, usually in that order.

You never.

I have some Makita tools (mainly cordless because of battery
commonality and because my view is that their cordless drills are the
best on the market except for certain Panasonic and Festool models.
I also have a Makita belt sander and a Makita sliding compound mitre
saw. Both of these have been reviewed as best in class and after
trying several of each found the same.

Other than that I have power tools made by Hitachi, Bosch, DeWalt,
Lamello, Senco,

Porter Cable

Kress make them so take it back

In the Screwfix book.. A Ryobi 18v
for £164 (some cheap DIY eh) next to a Makita 18v for £179. The Makita

has
3 batteries to the Riobi two, so about the same price.

It isn't simply a price issue in either direction.

In your mind it isn't as all tools not made by Makita are DIY.

I've compared
these products side by side

You haven't.

and they are not in the same league in
terms of handling or performance. The
Ryobi should not be priced
above £100 given the comparative quality.

You have never touched one.

I'm not positively influenced by SF's marketing of Erbauer.

Why not?

Because it's only just about one step
up from the superstars in Aldi's
marketing department.

You have never seen one.

Erbauer has a slot in the book with a cutaway pointing at the
quality of the drill, Jacobs chuck, etc.

.. and this impresses you?

It doesn't impress you because it is not a branded name.

It is clearly aimed at the pro
market.

It may be aimed, but doesn't have the
level of quality and performance
to achieve it.

You have never seen one.

A Google gives some positive reports, and a 3yr "professional"
guarantee.

What is that supposed to mean?

It means ..."A Google gives some positive reports, and a 3yr "professional"
guarantee."

The "guarantee" is purely calculated
as a marketing ploy to balance
attractiveness to the naive buyer
against acceptable return rate.

You just made that up.

snip babble by Matt

Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
oups.com...

Andy Hall wrote:nd Ferm.

Erbauer has a slot in the book with a cutaway pointing at the
quality of the drill, Jacobs chuck, etc.

.. and this impresses you?

lol...I think Jacobs crackers are probably better.

What I love is the quote in the catalogue about Erbauer: "If you're the
one that chooses the tools for your company, this is the drill to add
to your list" Lee Daniels, Professional Builder.

Who the **** is Lee Daniels?

He's a professional builder.

Matt

"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

What do you think Mat?

I have some Makita tools (mainly cordless because of battery
commonality and because my view is that their cordless drills are the
best on the market except for certain Panasonic and Festool models.
I also have a Makita belt sander and a Makita sliding compound mitre
saw. Both of these have been reviewed as best in class and after
trying several of each found the same.

Definitely not me Dribble. I don't own a single Panasonic or Festool
tool and nor do I own any Makita *cordless* tools.

Stuart Noble

Andy Hall wrote:

Other than that I have power tools made by Hitachi, Bosch, DeWalt,
Lamello, Senco, Porter Cable and Metabo; each chosen as best for
purpose.

IME pro tools are designed be (ab)used all day by brain dead builders.
They love Hilti drills because you can run them for longer with blunt
bits etc.
I don't think they can ever be justified for the d-i-yer on economic
grounds but sometimes it's nice to treat yourself. Women and shoes
springs to mind. Out of interest, what brand of trainers do you wear?
Andy Hall

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:30:36 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Other than that I have power tools made by Hitachi, Bosch, DeWalt,
Lamello, Senco, Porter Cable and Metabo; each chosen as best for
purpose.

IME pro tools are designed be (ab)used all day by brain dead builders.

Some are intended for that, and some such as Lamello biscuit joiners
and Makita slide saws are intended to achieve precision work and do.
Others such as the Metabo orbital sander have low vibration and
excellent ergonomics.

They love Hilti drills because you can run them for longer with blunt
bits etc.
I don't think they can ever be justified for the d-i-yer on economic
grounds but sometimes it's nice to treat yourself.

That entirely depends on what your definition of DIY an
appropriateness for it actually is.

Some people seem to feel that it's all about minimising cost and
implication of minimal use and that somehow this justifies going for
cheap tools as good enough.

Perhaps for some people this is true, but it's wrong to assume that
everybody has these criteria.

Personally I take a different view. That is to be able to achieve
quality work in my timescales across a range of activities and to
enjoy the use of the tools while doing so.

Cost is also a factor, but not my first one. I look at the issues in
the round, and time and outcome are much more valuable to me than
capital cost of a tool in a store.

This is whether they be power tools, workshop machinery or hand tools
such as my Lie-Nielsen planes which I enjoy using immensely and with
which I can produce results which please me.

I don't want to waste my time returning third rate products to the
store and I want to be able to obtain service and spares if and when I
need them and for a long time into the future.

I do want to have a sliding mitre saw or a router with a smooth and
accurate mechanism that cut with repeatability and accuracy, and I
also want drills with highly controllable speed, torque and braking.
These don't happen with £30 drills, £50 routers and £90 sliding mitre
saws.

Women and shoes
springs to mind.

It might spring to yours, but doesn't to mine.

Out of interest, what brand of trainers do you wear?

Whatever I can get in size 14. The choice is limited.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John Rumm

wrote:

They are well priced and quality products.

same as NuTool huh?

If by "well priced" you mean low priced, I'll give you that. It's
really the only positive attribute. However, it is farcical to say
that these are of high quality.

The "Erbauer" router is a chinese model sold under loads of different
guises - it is the slightly refreshed version of:

http://www.expresstools.co.uk/ishop/...opscr1385.html
and
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...sfile=1&jump=0

The plunge mechanism lets them down alas since some other aspects of
them could be worse.

--
Cheers,

John.