Doctor Drivel

Default Erbauer sliding mitre saw

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:49:30 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Andy Hall wrote:

It is as close to it as makes little difference.

In comparison with the Bosch GSA24VE, most definitely.

Certainly, in comparison to the Makita 6337 and Festool products.

I've used one. In comparison to the Elu designs such as the DW625
and CMT, it is distinctly poor.

That does not make it entry level and there's a big difference between
those products and Ferm.

Matt/Lord Hall, thinks all power tools except Makita are DIY, so you have

know the mentality of Matt/Lord Hall.

You'll have to ask Matt what he thinks.

What do you think Mat?

I've never said that all power tools
other than Makita are DIY.

You did.

I select based on quality, performance
and price, usually in that order.

You never.

I have some Makita tools (mainly cordless because of battery
commonality and because my view is that their cordless drills are the
best on the market except for certain Panasonic and Festool models.
I also have a Makita belt sander and a Makita sliding compound mitre
saw. Both of these have been reviewed as best in class and after
trying several of each found the same.

Other than that I have power tools made by Hitachi, Bosch, DeWalt,
Lamello, Senco,

Porter Cable

Kress make them so take it back

In the Screwfix book.. A Ryobi 18v
for £164 (some cheap DIY eh) next to a Makita 18v for £179. The Makita

has
3 batteries to the Riobi two, so about the same price.

It isn't simply a price issue in either direction.

In your mind it isn't as all tools not made by Makita are DIY.

I've compared
these products side by side

You haven't.

and they are not in the same league in
terms of handling or performance. The
Ryobi should not be priced
above £100 given the comparative quality.

You have never touched one.

I'm not positively influenced by SF's marketing of Erbauer.

Why not?

Because it's only just about one step
up from the superstars in Aldi's
marketing department.

You have never seen one.

Erbauer has a slot in the book with a cutaway pointing at the
quality of the drill, Jacobs chuck, etc.

.. and this impresses you?

It doesn't impress you because it is not a branded name.

It is clearly aimed at the pro
market.

It may be aimed, but doesn't have the
level of quality and performance
to achieve it.

You have never seen one.

A Google gives some positive reports, and a 3yr "professional"
guarantee.

What is that supposed to mean?

It means ..."A Google gives some positive reports, and a 3yr "professional"
guarantee."

The "guarantee" is purely calculated
as a marketing ploy to balance
attractiveness to the naive buyer