Bob Davis

Default Safety with tilted blade and sliding table

I'm a relative novice whose vision outstripped his knowledge on a recent
purchase. I purchased a Jet Supersaw, complete with 52" rails, extension
table, and sliding table. This model only comes in Left tilt. The sliding
table is on the left side of the blade. So when the blade it tilted, it
tilts toward the sliding table.

I purchased a book on table saws that seemed to have a lot of spaced devoted
to safety - something I really wanted to study up before diving in. The
author talks about left and right tilt. His advice is to go for a left tilt
UNLESS you plan to use a sliding table with beveled cuts. He says it
dangerous to cut a piece with the sliding table and the blade tilted. Well
in principal, I think I understand. I just find it hard to believe that a
company like Jet has gone to such lengths to design the elaborate sliding
table with this anti-flip hold down thing, yet its only useable with the
blade at 0 degrees.

I would like opinions. Should I spend a bit more money and get a mitre guage
to do bevel cross cuts from the right side of the blade? Yep, Jet leaves
this item off, when you buy the sliding table.

Thanks,
Bob

Tom

Make yourself a cross-cut sled. Tom
Bob Davis"

[...]

Someday, it'll all be over....

David Chamberlain

Don't make a sled. The sliding table beats any homemade sled nine ways to
Sunday. There is no inherent safety risk in using a slidng table with a
left tilt saw. The only possible danger is if you do not use a zero
clearance insert and you make a small cutoff, the piece might drop down and
get caught between the blade and the table. That can be prevented by using
a zero clearance insert and/or planning ahead so that any cutoff pieces are
big enough to avoid the problem.

--
dbchamber at hotmail spam dot com

Remove the spam to reach me

"George" wrote in message
They're right, but you _can_ use a sled or gage referencing the groove on
the other side, can't you?

"Bob Davis" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm a relative novice whose vision outstripped his knowledge on a recent
purchase. I purchased a Jet Supersaw, complete with 52" rails, extension
table, and sliding table. This model only comes in Left tilt. The

sliding
table is on the left side of the blade. So when the blade it tilted, it
tilts toward the sliding table.

I purchased a book on table saws that seemed to have a lot of spaced

devoted
to safety - something I really wanted to study up before diving in. The
author talks about left and right tilt. His advice is to go for a left

tilt
UNLESS you plan to use a sliding table with beveled cuts. He says it
dangerous to cut a piece with the sliding table and the blade tilted.

JLucas ILS

Use the sliding table. The only danger is when the wood that is on the table to
the left of the blade is loose and can lift. Remedy: clamp it down to the
sliding table so that it will not lift.

Bob Davis

I've decided to do that. I looked at the way everything works together on
this saw -- the new designed blade guard, the factory hold-down clamp that
is part of the sliding table, the miter fence which is obviously designed to
accomodate a tilted blade, and the near hernia I got lifting the heavy
sliding table to install it.

I made a bunch of practice cuts today at different angles and different
tilts. As long as the board was positioned for proper use of the hold-down
clamp and extended so both sides of the blade guard covered it, I was very
comfortable using it. In fact I might even say it was dream to use.

Bob