Tim Nicholson

Default Mitre saws, table saws, or flip saw?

As I'm about to start on a renovation of some outbuildings at the
homestead, I'm going to need some form of mitre saw and table saw,
rather than the hand held circular saw and manual saws I currently
posess! Would it be better to go for one of each, or has anyone had
experience of something like the De Walt 'Flip Saw' which combines
both in a single unit? My guess would be that there'd be a trade-off
getting both in the one unit, but whether it'd make too much of a
difference, I just don't know. ( I *have* read the recent mitre saw
thread, and am aware that the one major constraint I'd be putting on
myself would be the absence of any form of 'sliding' mechanism, but I
thought this a sufficiently different question to warrant a posting)

Something like this:
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=1628
And I believe Elektra Beckum also do something similar

My expectation is that the mitre saw won't be needed for anything
bigger than 4x2, but as ever I might find other things for it to be
doing. The table saw - who knows?

Thanks in advance guys

Tim Nicholson

Andy Hall

On Fri, 07 May 2004 16:11:11 +0100, Tim Nicholson
wrote:

[...]

I have used one of the DW flip-over saws. It isn't bad, although as
you say, a compromise. I've looked over the Elektra Beckum one at a
tool show.

If you are looking for something for doing mainly constructional site
type work and space is an issue then it could be a good purchase.

However the table is not large, so it isn't going to be brilliant as a
table saw if you want to make precision stuff. For example, the tubes
and stands arrangement for the fence fo rthe Elektra Beckum will let
that down a bit in terms of accuracy.

Likewise, the mitre saw part although respectable, does not match
individual mitre/sliding saws in the £400-500 category.

I would think about it in terms of what you want to perhaps also do
long term. If it is all going to be this type of work, then to fit
into a smallish space as well, not a bad idea.

Otherwise, if the budget runs to it, as well as the space, I would
look at separate items.

I have a Makita LS1013 which does both workshop and outside work.
I have a DeWalt 744 table saw which is used for outside type work.
Unfortunately the DW744 is relatively expensive here - I bought mine
in the U.S. for about $400 which was a good deal.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
N. Thornton

Tim Nicholson wrote in message . ..
As I'm about to start on a renovation of some outbuildings at the
homestead, I'm going to need some form of mitre saw and table saw,

A 25w laser would do both acurately.... just make sure there are no nails embedded.

Regards, NT
stuart noble

[...]

I've been using the Dewalt flip over saw (or rather its predecessor, the Elu
TGS) for donkeys years. As a chopsaw it's extremely accurate, and the
changeover is quick and easy, but the compromise comes with the table setup.
The fence doesn't clamp that well to the front edge and there's nowhere to
fix anything for jigs etc. It's also bloody heavy for a site saw. I wouldn't
move it far on my own.

steve

wrote:

[...]

I'd go for seperate machines as you can bet any money that when you
want the table saw it will be in mitre mode etc etc.And there will be
jobs when you need just the mitre saw, want to try lugging a table saw
upstairs?

On the table saw check out the fence how easily it moves does it lock
accurately and square and its capacity for ripping sheets as although
you might be buying for this one job a table saw is such a usefull
tool for so many jobs. Also try the mitre square how freely does it
run in its guide and does it stay square to the blade and how easy is
it to remove the blade guard and riving knife to make rebate cuts.

That rules out the ferm table saw from screwfix it did want I wanted
it to do and saved me more than the money it cost but if knew then
what know now would have paid out for a better one

If you can visit a tool shop and actually have a look at the tools
then do so. You dont have to buy them from there but gives you the
opportunity to give them a good looking over

Just one thing after you have your new table/mitre/flip saw pack away
your old circular saw I know from experience mine hardly ever sees the
light of day now

A tip for use when sawing/planeing any old wood you might not be sure
of and might have nails etc hidden in it try your cable pipe detector,
its a metal detector, my one easily bleeps even on a staple may not
tell you exactly where it is to the mm but lets you know it is there
so you can investigate

Paul Mc Cann

In article ,
says...

[...]

Kitchen fitters are quite fond of these machines. I've always felt the
main compromise was in the ripping ability. The table tends to be a bit
small for any large work and the fences a bit short.

The Elektra would be infiniteley better than any of the light weight
jobbies sold by the sheds.

If money was no object I'd buy a good pull-over saw and good site saw.
Elektra I have owned and found to be solid machines. Elu were also an
excellent brand until B&D *******ised them into Dewalt and if the Dewalt
biscuit joiner is typical of their ability to put together a good
machine I would avoid them.

Yopu might pick up a cheap second hand radial arm saw as they are out of
fashion at present. As a strictly cross cut machine they are quite good
but don't try ripping on them, it will give you religion.

Paul Mc Cann
stuart noble

Paul Mc Cann wrote in message ...
I've been using the Dewalt flip over saw (or rather its predecessor, the

Elu
TGS) for donkeys years. As a chopsaw it's extremely accurate, and the
changeover is quick and easy, but the compromise comes with the table

setup.
The fence doesn't clamp that well to the front edge and there's nowhere

fix anything for jigs etc. It's also bloody heavy for a site saw. I

wouldn't
move it far on my own.

Kitchen fitters are quite fond of these machines. I've always felt the
main compromise was in the ripping ability. The table tends to be a bit
small for any large work and the fences a bit short.

I've got the rails, extension table etc and I've ripped plenty of sheet
materials on it. It is essentially a site saw but it's been around,
virtually unchanged, for over 30 years so I suppose it's proved its worth. I
would certainly buy it again if the current one packed up.

table saws? simon beer UK diy 13 October 24th 03 07:20 PM
Mitre Saws Steve UK diy 5 July 24th 03 07:01 PM