stuart noble

Default Mitre saws, table saws, or flip saw?

Tim Nicholson wrote in message ...

As I'm about to start on a renovation of some outbuildings at the
homestead, I'm going to need some form of mitre saw and table saw,
rather than the hand held circular saw and manual saws I currently
posess! Would it be better to go for one of each, or has anyone had
experience of something like the De Walt 'Flip Saw' which combines
both in a single unit? My guess would be that there'd be a trade-off
getting both in the one unit, but whether it'd make too much of a
difference, I just don't know. ( I *have* read the recent mitre saw
thread, and am aware that the one major constraint I'd be putting on
myself would be the absence of any form of 'sliding' mechanism, but I
thought this a sufficiently different question to warrant a posting)

Something like this:
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=1628
And I believe Elektra Beckum also do something similar

My expectation is that the mitre saw won't be needed for anything
bigger than 4x2, but as ever I might find other things for it to be
doing. The table saw - who knows?

I've been using the Dewalt flip over saw (or rather its predecessor, the Elu
TGS) for donkeys years. As a chopsaw it's extremely accurate, and the
changeover is quick and easy, but the compromise comes with the table setup.
The fence doesn't clamp that well to the front edge and there's nowhere to
fix anything for jigs etc. It's also bloody heavy for a site saw. I wouldn't
move it far on my own.