Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Bob Davis

Default Safety with tilted blade and sliding table

I'm a relative novice whose vision outstripped his knowledge on a recent
purchase. I purchased a Jet Supersaw, complete with 52" rails, extension
table, and sliding table. This model only comes in Left tilt. The sliding
table is on the left side of the blade. So when the blade it tilted, it
tilts toward the sliding table.

I purchased a book on table saws that seemed to have a lot of spaced devoted
to safety - something I really wanted to study up before diving in. The
author talks about left and right tilt. His advice is to go for a left tilt
UNLESS you plan to use a sliding table with beveled cuts. He says it
dangerous to cut a piece with the sliding table and the blade tilted. Well
in principal, I think I understand. I just find it hard to believe that a
company like Jet has gone to such lengths to design the elaborate sliding
table with this anti-flip hold down thing, yet its only useable with the
blade at 0 degrees.

I would like opinions. Should I spend a bit more money and get a mitre guage
to do bevel cross cuts from the right side of the blade? Yep, Jet leaves
this item off, when you buy the sliding table.

Thanks,
Bob