David Chamberlain

Default Safety with tilted blade and sliding table

Don't make a sled. The sliding table beats any homemade sled nine ways to
Sunday. There is no inherent safety risk in using a slidng table with a
left tilt saw. The only possible danger is if you do not use a zero
clearance insert and you make a small cutoff, the piece might drop down and
get caught between the blade and the table. That can be prevented by using
a zero clearance insert and/or planning ahead so that any cutoff pieces are
big enough to avoid the problem.

--
dbchamber at hotmail spam dot com

Remove the spam to reach me

"George" wrote in message
They're right, but you _can_ use a sled or gage referencing the groove on
the other side, can't you?

"Bob Davis" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm a relative novice whose vision outstripped his knowledge on a recent
purchase. I purchased a Jet Supersaw, complete with 52" rails, extension
table, and sliding table. This model only comes in Left tilt. The

sliding
table is on the left side of the blade. So when the blade it tilted, it
tilts toward the sliding table.

I purchased a book on table saws that seemed to have a lot of spaced

devoted
to safety - something I really wanted to study up before diving in. The
author talks about left and right tilt. His advice is to go for a left

tilt
UNLESS you plan to use a sliding table with beveled cuts. He says it
dangerous to cut a piece with the sliding table and the blade tilted.