Andy Hall

Default Erbauer sliding mitre saw

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:30:36 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Other than that I have power tools made by Hitachi, Bosch, DeWalt,
Lamello, Senco, Porter Cable and Metabo; each chosen as best for
purpose.

IME pro tools are designed be (ab)used all day by brain dead builders.

Some are intended for that, and some such as Lamello biscuit joiners
and Makita slide saws are intended to achieve precision work and do.
Others such as the Metabo orbital sander have low vibration and
excellent ergonomics.

They love Hilti drills because you can run them for longer with blunt
bits etc.
I don't think they can ever be justified for the d-i-yer on economic
grounds but sometimes it's nice to treat yourself.

That entirely depends on what your definition of DIY an
appropriateness for it actually is.

Some people seem to feel that it's all about minimising cost and
implication of minimal use and that somehow this justifies going for
cheap tools as good enough.

Perhaps for some people this is true, but it's wrong to assume that
everybody has these criteria.

Personally I take a different view. That is to be able to achieve
quality work in my timescales across a range of activities and to
enjoy the use of the tools while doing so.

Cost is also a factor, but not my first one. I look at the issues in
the round, and time and outcome are much more valuable to me than
capital cost of a tool in a store.

This is whether they be power tools, workshop machinery or hand tools
such as my Lie-Nielsen planes which I enjoy using immensely and with
which I can produce results which please me.

I don't want to waste my time returning third rate products to the
store and I want to be able to obtain service and spares if and when I
need them and for a long time into the future.

I do want to have a sliding mitre saw or a router with a smooth and
accurate mechanism that cut with repeatability and accuracy, and I
also want drills with highly controllable speed, torque and braking.
These don't happen with £30 drills, £50 routers and £90 sliding mitre
saws.

Women and shoes
springs to mind.

It might spring to yours, but doesn't to mine.

Out of interest, what brand of trainers do you wear?

Whatever I can get in size 14. The choice is limited.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl