Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Makita 6270 DWPE3 Drill & Free Impact Driver 12V

Anyone have experience of these two bits of kit? Looks like a good deal
especially the impact driver - good for decking screws.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...9438&ts=55331#

or

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...file=1&jump=12

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:20:07 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Anyone have experience of these two bits of kit? Looks like a good deal
especially the impact driver - good for decking screws.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...9438&ts=55331#

or

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...file=1&jump=12

I used the drill for a weekend, (14v model) really nicely balanced in
the hand. It's quiet which gives the impression that it's not powerful
but it's fine.
It does look a good deal.
I do prefer De Walt's one-handed keyless chuck and eventuallly bought
one of theirs but that was at this price for one (combi) drill.
I've never used an impact driver and would be interested to see what
other people think of 'em.
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
Anyone have experience of these two bits of kit? Looks like a good deal
especially the impact driver - good for decking screws.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...9438&ts=55331#

or

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...akita&user_sea
rch=1&sfile=1&jump=12

Yes, bought exactly that set (from Screwfix). Haven't really used the
drill but the impact driver is a wonderful piece of kit. For your
decking screws you'll wonder how you ever managed without one. For a 4"
inch screw into 4 x 2 it doesn't even slow down.

Be prepared though, you can use up the screw bits quicker than with a
normal driver. They tend to break rather than wear out. Go and buy a tub
of 25 pz2 and pz3 bits while you're out shopping ;-) Oh - and make sure
they're the longer bits (50mm I think) rather than the more common 25mm
bits which don't fit the impact driver.

Hth
Someone
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:20:07 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
mused:

Anyone have experience of these two bits of kit? Looks like a good deal
especially the impact driver - good for decking screws.

I've got a cheap PPP 12V impact driver and that has done well. My mate
was impressed so he's now got the aforementioned Makita twin pack. The
impact driver body only is around 80 quid so by the time you've bought
the charger and batteries you're already over the price of the combo
kit, so the other drill is effectively a freebie so IMO it's
performance and quality aren't too important.

--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

somebody wrote:

Yes, bought exactly that set (from Screwfix). Haven't really used the
drill but the impact driver is a wonderful piece of kit. For your
decking screws you'll wonder how you ever managed without one. For a
4" inch screw into 4 x 2 it doesn't even slow down.

That's what I was hoping for! How do the batteries last? I notice they are
only 1.3 a/hr. Granted with 3 it shouldn't be a problem.

Be prepared though, you can use up the screw bits quicker than with a
normal driver. They tend to break rather than wear out. Go and buy a
tub of 25 pz2 and pz3 bits while you're out shopping ;-) Oh - and
make sure they're the longer bits (50mm I think) rather than the more
common 25mm bits which don't fit the impact driver.

I tend to use those 50mm bits anyway. Shorter ones don't fit inside curtain
rail brackets & a host of other things.

Wickes do packs of 15 for about £4? They also do 3 x titanium for £3 maybe
they would be best.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-28 17:20:29 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

somebody wrote:

Yes, bought exactly that set (from Screwfix). Haven't really used the
drill but the impact driver is a wonderful piece of kit. For your
decking screws you'll wonder how you ever managed without one. For a
4" inch screw into 4 x 2 it doesn't even slow down.

That's what I was hoping for! How do the batteries last? I notice they are
only 1.3 a/hr. Granted with 3 it shouldn't be a problem.

No it shouldn't. I have the 14.4v version and it will manage
continuous screwdriving with two batteries. Three is certainly not a
problem.

Be prepared though, you can use up the screw bits quicker than with a
normal driver. They tend to break rather than wear out. Go and buy a
tub of 25 pz2 and pz3 bits while you're out shopping ;-) Oh - and
make sure they're the longer bits (50mm I think) rather than the more
common 25mm bits which don't fit the impact driver.

I tend to use those 50mm bits anyway. Shorter ones don't fit inside curtain
rail brackets & a host of other things.

Wickes do packs of 15 for about £4? They also do 3 x titanium for £3 maybe
they would be best.

The Wiha and Wera ones sold by Screwfix and others are well worth the
extra. In terms of screws/£ almost certainly less expensive than the
cheap bulk ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

somebody wrote:

Yes, bought exactly that set (from Screwfix). Haven't really used the
drill but the impact driver is a wonderful piece of kit. For your
decking screws you'll wonder how you ever managed without one. For a
4" inch screw into 4 x 2 it doesn't even slow down.

That's what I was hoping for! How do the batteries last? I notice they are
only 1.3 a/hr. Granted with 3 it shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't done any jobs with lots of use so can't really say, but yes
with three batteries and an approx 45minute charge I haven't been too
worried about it.

Be prepared though, you can use up the screw bits quicker than with a
normal driver. They tend to break rather than wear out. Go and buy a
tub of 25 pz2 and pz3 bits while you're out shopping ;-) Oh - and
make sure they're the longer bits (50mm I think) rather than the more
common 25mm bits which don't fit the impact driver.

I tend to use those 50mm bits anyway. Shorter ones don't fit inside curtain
rail brackets & a host of other things.

Wickes do packs of 15 for about £4? They also do 3 x titanium for £3 maybe
they would be best.

I've been getting Makita, 25x50mm Pz3 for £8, they seem to be somewhere
in the middle range.

Hth
--
Someone
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"somebody" wrote in message
[...]

As you may recall I asked a very similar question a couple of months ago. I
bought this set and have very impressed. I've used both drivers extensively
whilst building a fortress/command post in the garden for the kids and as
Someone says above 4" screws just go straight in with the impact driver.
The drill is very nice to use - very controlable and plenty od oompth. The
impact driver does seem to get through the batteries quicker than the
drill/driver but with three I never ran out of juice.

I would also echo the comments about the driver bits - they do get eaten by
the impact driver. I've had both the diamond and gold bits from Screwfix
shatter but currently a set from Wickes seem to be holding up OK.

I don't think you will regret getting the set although I did see that they
are currently doing a similar deal but with an angle drill instead of an
impact driver which may also be of interest.

With the combination of the set and the Makita Jigsaw I bought before Xmas I
am certainly converted to the pleasantness of using good power tools. Now
if I could only afford a nice sliding mitre saw I would be a happy bunny.

Cheers

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

somebody wrote:

Be prepared though, you can use up the screw bits quicker than with a
normal driver. They tend to break rather than wear out. Go and buy a tub
of 25 pz2 and pz3 bits while you're out shopping ;-) Oh - and make sure
they're the longer bits (50mm I think) rather than the more common 25mm
bits which don't fit the impact driver.

I tend to use the same Wiha diamond bits in the clickfix magnetic holder
with the impact driver, and they hold up reasonably well. As you say,
when they do go they tend to shatter or fall apart. The trick is to not
let them rattle about in the screw head too much, even though the impact
driver requires less pressure to drive the screw it is still worth using
enough to prolong the bit life.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
I tend to use those 50mm bits anyway. Shorter ones don't fit inside
curtain rail brackets & a host of other things.

Wickes do packs of 15 for about £4? They also do 3 x titanium for
£3 maybe they would be best.

The Wiha and Wera ones sold by Screwfix and others are well worth the
extra. In terms of screws/£ almost certainly less expensive than the
cheap bulk ones.

I've used the Wiha ones and been very disapointed - they shattered in use.
They seem very brittle. The plain steel ones are much better value for
money. At £2:49 each the Wiha don't last anything like as long as 25
cheapos from Wickes @ £3:99.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I've used the Wiha ones and been very disapointed - they shattered in use.
They seem very brittle. The plain steel ones are much better value for
money. At £2:49 each the Wiha don't last anything like as long as 25
cheapos from Wickes @ £3:99.

Its their hardness that means they don't lose the edges so rapidly, and
you can get a decent grip on the screws for longer. Much does depend on
finding screws that match the bits well though. Wiha diamond bits and
screwfix quicksilver seem to work very well together - I can have a
single bit last months that way.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-28 22:24:16 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Andy Hall wrote:
I tend to use those 50mm bits anyway. Shorter ones don't fit inside
curtain rail brackets & a host of other things.

Wickes do packs of 15 for about £4? They also do 3 x titanium for
£3 maybe they would be best.

The Wiha and Wera ones sold by Screwfix and others are well worth the
extra. In terms of screws/£ almost certainly less expensive than the
cheap bulk ones.

I've used the Wiha ones and been very disapointed - they shattered in use.
They seem very brittle. The plain steel ones are much better value for
money. At £2:49 each the Wiha don't last anything like as long as 25
cheapos from Wickes @ £3:99.

Which screws types and manufacturer are you using?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
:

- good for decking screws.

I guess you didn't get any sentence reduction for goo behaviour, then.

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-28 22:24:16 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Andy Hall wrote:
I tend to use those 50mm bits anyway. Shorter ones don't fit
inside curtain rail brackets & a host of other things.

Wickes do packs of 15 for about £4? They also do 3 x titanium for
£3 maybe they would be best.

The Wiha and Wera ones sold by Screwfix and others are well worth
the extra. In terms of screws/£ almost certainly less expensive
than the cheap bulk ones.

I've used the Wiha ones and been very disapointed - they shattered
in use. They seem very brittle. The plain steel ones are much
better value for money. At £2:49 each the Wiha don't last anything
like as long as 25 cheapos from Wickes @ £3:99.

Which screws types and manufacturer are you using?

Screwfix Turbo Gold & Wickes Decking Screws

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
:

- good for decking screws.

I guess you didn't get any sentence reduction for goo behaviour, then.

mike

Current interweb joke;

I went into B&Q today, and a man in orange & black overalls said "do you
want decking"? Luckily I got the first punch in.....

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
mike wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
:

- good for decking screws.

I guess you didn't get any sentence reduction for goo behaviour, then.

mike

Current interweb joke;

I went into B&Q today, and a man in orange & black overalls said "do you
want decking"? Luckily I got the first punch in.....

You are not allowed to assault retards

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Apr, 11:20, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Anyone have experience of these two bits of kit? Looks like a good deal
especially the impact driver - good for decking screws.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...9438&ts=55331#

or

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...e=makita&user_...

I bought, after talk on this group, the Ryobi to check the Impact
drivers out. Well pleased. It is 18v and powerful. Get the charger and
two batteries. I rarely use a drill/driver anymore. The Impact Driver
does it all. It is so small it acts as an angle drill using stubby
auger and flat bits drilling through joists.

I would rather buy one 18v Impact Driver than a 12V Impact driver and
drill/driver for the same price, as the drill/driver will not be used
much, if at all, once you have an 18V Impact driver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Anyone have experience of these two bits of kit? Looks like a good deal
especially the impact driver - good for decking screws.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...9438&ts=55331#

or

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...e=makita&user_...

I bought, after talk on this group, the Ryobi to check the Impact
drivers out. Well pleased. It is 18v and powerful. Get the charger and
two batteries. I rarely use a drill/driver anymore. The Impact Driver
does it all. It is so small it acts as an angle drill using stubby
auger and flat bits drilling through joists.

I would rather buy one 18v Impact Driver than a 12V Impact driver and
drill/driver for the same price, as the drill/driver will not be used
much, if at all, once you have an 18V Impact driver.

What a lot of nonsense.

There is no way in hell that an impact driver can replace all of the
functionality of a drill/driver unless one is *only* doing
constructional framing and exterior deck work.

It's even more ridiculous to buy anything from Techtronics Ryobi.

TTK's Milwaukee brand is acceptable for sensible use, but that is the
only one in their stable that is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

You clearly have not used one. I recall you and others here never knew
what an Impact Driver was about 12 to 18 months ago. The threads that
resulted prompted me to try one out. Well please and a must have tool.

It's even more ridiculous to buy anything from Techtronics Ryobi.

Mine works great and takes lots of abuse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Yes I have. It is suitable for framing and exterior work.

I recall you and others here never knew
what an Impact Driver was about 12 to 18 months ago.

Incorrect.

There are three types.

- The traditional type that is hit by a hammer

- Pneumatic type

- Cordless type

The threads that
resulted prompted me to try one out. Well please and a must have tool.

If you are doing constructional work.

It's even more ridiculous to buy anything from Techtronics Ryobi.

Mine works great and takes lots of abuse.

Yes....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Apr 2007 14:59:43 -0700, mused:

wrote:
Anyone have experience of these two bits of kit? Looks like a good deal
especially the impact driver - good for decking screws.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...9438&ts=55331#

or

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...e=makita&user_...

I bought, after talk on this group, the Ryobi to check the Impact
drivers out. Well pleased. It is 18v and powerful. Get the charger and
two batteries. I rarely use a drill/driver anymore. The Impact Driver
does it all. It is so small it acts as an angle drill using stubby
auger and flat bits drilling through joists.

Are you sure you actually bought an impact driver? Do you know what
one is? I can't think of a worse way to drill holes in things than
with an impact driver.

Clueless ****. *plonk*
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I bought, after talk on this group, the Ryobi to check the Impact
drivers out. Well pleased. It is 18v and powerful.

Always seems kind of pointless when you can get a 18V Makita body only
for about the same money.

two batteries. I rarely use a drill/driver anymore. The Impact Driver
does it all.

That does not make any sense at all. As a drill an impact driver it
pretty hopeless for anything except very small drills, or very heavy
ones like an expansive bit.

It is so small it acts as an angle drill using stubby
auger and flat bits drilling through joists.

Its about 1.5 to 2 times the length of an angle drill, and that is
before you get a chuck on the end of it.

I would rather buy one 18v Impact Driver than a 12V Impact driver and
drill/driver for the same price, as the drill/driver will not be used
much, if at all, once you have an 18V Impact driver.

If you really want a versatile tool, then go for one of the new
Panasonic or Makita four function Li-Ion tools that are combi drills
with an additional impact driving mode.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Looks like a super-deal. I bought the Bosch impact driver after trying
out just about everything at an Axminster trade show. All the pro-
brands were excellent - makita/bosch/hitachi/panasonic - with little
to differentiate them, I bought Bosch simply because I have other
bosch 14.4V kit.

You sound like you do a lot of decking work, in which case you'll
probably find you use the impact driver 80% of the time, and have the
drill set up just to do pilot holes where necessary.

As others say, pozi#2 bits get broken a lot, though I think I've only
ever broken 2 pozi#3 bits. If you can possibly favour using pozi#3
screws (I use screwfix 6x80mm turbogold mostly), the problem more or
less disappears. I've yet to break a single Wera pozi#3 diamond bit.

Best combination I've found is the Wera rapidaptor and their diamond
bits (maybe the expense of the bits makes me more careful). I've been
a bit disappointed with Wiha stuff (quality superb, but bit more prone
to breakage) and with the iron bits from Wera (which the rep told me
were best suited to impact drivers) - in practice they've been most
prone to breakage.

I've yet to hear anybody that got an impact driver say "bit of a waste
of money"or "didn't use it much". I find screws are sufficiently cheap
and quick and easy to put in with an impact driver to make nails more
or less redundant in many applications.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Apr, 02:09, John Rumm wrote:
wrote:
I bought, after talk on this group, the Ryobi to check the Impact
drivers out. Well pleased. It is 18v and powerful.

Always seems kind of pointless when you can get a 18V Makita body only
for about the same money.

two batteries. I rarely use a drill/driver anymore. The Impact Driver
does it all.

That does not make any sense at all. As a drill an impact driver it
pretty hopeless for anything except very small drills, or very heavy
ones like an expansive bit.

It is so small it acts as an angle drill using stubby
auger and flat bits drilling through joists.

Its about 1.5 to 2 times the length of an angle drill, and that is
before you get a chuck on the end of it.

It easily gets between joists and drills a nice level hole so I can
thread plastic pipe or cable.

I would rather buy one 18v Impact Driver than a 12V Impact driver and
drill/driver for the same price, as the drill/driver will not be used
much, if at all, once you have an 18V Impact driver.

If you really want a versatile tool, then go for one of the new
Panasonic or Makita four function Li-Ion tools that are combi drills
with an additional impact driving mode.

I have a versatile tool. I described what I do with an Impact Driver
very clearly. I would avoid the 12v versions, as they would be limited
in use. They are good no doubt, the extra power of the 18v is well
worth getting. As I said avoid the twin pack Makita, although a good
deal in itself and get a 18v Impact Driver as the drill/driver will be
not used for much of the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Anyone have experience of these two bits of kit? Looks like a good deal
especially the impact driver - good for decking screws.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...9438&ts=55331#

or

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...e=makita&user_...

I bought, after talk on this group, the Ryobi to check the Impact
drivers out. Well pleased. It is 18v and powerful. Get the charger and
two batteries. I rarely use a drill/driver anymore. The Impact Driver
does it all. It is so small it acts as an angle drill using stubby
auger and flat bits drilling through joists.

Are you sure you actually bought an impact driver?

Read what I wrote you cluelss prat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...

As others say, pozi#2 bits get broken a lot, though I think I've only
ever broken 2 pozi#3 bits. If you can possibly favour using pozi#3
screws (I use screwfix 6x80mm turbogold mostly), the problem more or
less disappears. I've yet to break a single Wera pozi#3 diamond bit.

Why not try torx screws?
They are far easier than pozidrive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes
Why not try torx screws?
They are far easier than pozidrive.

And why didn't Robertsons screws ever take off here? The square recess
in the head really worked well. They were sold in one of the bigger
electrical retailers, but companies like Screwfix seem to regard them as
a "security" screw.

I ended up getting a load and the matching screwdriver while doing a
theatre installation job in Ireland and I thought they were great screws
to use.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why not try torx screws?
They are far easier than pozidrive.

Agreed. Torx heads are excellent. I use the 6mm multimonti masonry
fixings with torx heads. They're available in some sizes from spax -
I'd be pleased to see them become much more widely (and cheaply)
available.

Currently looks like a 50% price premium:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-S...rews-19753.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As I said avoid the twin pack Makita, although a good
deal in itself and get a 18v Impact Driver as the drill/driver will be
not used for much of the time.

Most 12-14.4V impact drivers seem to have max torques around 130-140
Nm. This is more than sufficient to drive 6*100mm screws into
softwood, undrilled. The bulkier, heavier and higher voltage models
are probably more appropriate to driving hex head fixings with a 1/2"
drive socket.

Although I agree a cordless drill gets used less with an impact driver
around, it's still very useful when working with a hardwood to have
the drill bit mounted in it and not to be frequently switching bits on
the impact driver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-30 12:33:04 +0100, Clive Mitchell said:

In message , "dennis@home"
writes
Why not try torx screws?
They are far easier than pozidrive.

And why didn't Robertsons screws ever take off here? The square recess
in the head really worked well. They were sold in one of the bigger
electrical retailers, but companies like Screwfix seem to regard them
as a "security" screw.

I ended up getting a load and the matching screwdriver while doing a
theatre installation job in Ireland and I thought they were great
screws to use.

I use them with my Senco collated screwdriver for volume jobs. They
work very well for this.