Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pipe Benders

Hi All

Very complicated plumbing job today, re routing 15mm copper pipe around
several obstacles - ended up using around 30 solder ring 90 degree fittings.

Maybe it's time to buy a tube bender :-)

This seems to be a generic piece of kit
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...8255&ts=73868#

£23 at Toolstation, £29 at Screwfix or £34 at Plumbworld. Same spec &
picture.

Anyone used one? Any opinions?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Hi All

Very complicated plumbing job today, re routing 15mm copper pipe around
several obstacles - ended up using around 30 solder ring 90 degree

fittings.

Maybe it's time to buy a tube bender :-)

This seems to be a generic piece of kit
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...8255&ts=73868#

£23 at Toolstation, £29 at Screwfix or £34 at Plumbworld. Same spec &
picture.

Anyone used one? Any opinions?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

"ended up using around 30 solder ring 90 degree fittings"

You do seem to run into problems often,dont you?

Lets see now...30 elbows at a 85p a piece,thats £25.50 hmmm! I would have
gone and bought the Pipe bender there and then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Very complicated plumbing job today, re routing 15mm copper pipe around
several obstacles - ended up using around 30 solder ring 90 degree
fittings.

Maybe it's time to buy a tube bender :-)

Well worth it. When you get the hang of it one of the more satisfying
skills.

This seems to be a generic piece of kit
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...8255&ts=73868#

£23 at Toolstation, £29 at Screwfix or £34 at Plumbworld. Same spec &
picture.

Anyone used one? Any opinions?

I used a cheap one at a pal's place once and it simply wasn't a patch on
my Record - which did cost over three times as much. It's possible the
Screwfix one is ok, though - especially if you're only going to use it for
15mm. Or perhaps check Ebay for a secondhand branded one?

--
*Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 00:01:47 -0000, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Hi All

Very complicated plumbing job today, re routing 15mm copper pipe around
several obstacles - ended up using around 30 solder ring 90 degree fittings.

Maybe it's time to buy a tube bender :-)

This seems to be a generic piece of kit
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...8255&ts=73868#

£23 at Toolstation, £29 at Screwfix or £34 at Plumbworld. Same spec &
picture.

Anyone used one? Any opinions?

Same one I have got and I would avoid. It's so slack and sloppy that a
simple 90 by eye is difficult. It necks the tube badly as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Hi All

Very complicated plumbing job today, re routing 15mm copper pipe around
several obstacles - ended up using around 30 solder ring 90 degree
fittings.

Maybe it's time to buy a tube bender :-)

Erm, yes. I've seen work done with fittings like you've described, and the
equivalent with proper bends is so much nicer.

This seems to be a generic piece of kit
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...8255&ts=73868#

£23 at Toolstation, £29 at Screwfix or £34 at Plumbworld. Same spec &
picture.

Anyone used one? Any opinions?

But I'm afraid I can't help with that. The gert Record one we hired to take
care of the 28mm stuff seemed to work and was an impressive beast, but I'd
expect that's rather more than you're looking for :-)

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

This seems to be a generic piece of kit
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...8255&ts=73868#

£23 at Toolstation, £29 at Screwfix or £34 at Plumbworld. Same spec &
picture.

Anyone used one? Any opinions?

I've got the Screwfix one and found it good, but have never used a Record so
can't compare. As Dave P says, satisfying (when you've got the hang of it).
But be aware that there are times when only a fitting will do - you can't
bend pipe down to that small a radius.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Hi All

Very complicated plumbing job today, re routing 15mm copper pipe around
several obstacles - ended up using around 30 solder ring 90 degree
fittings.

You've added around 15m effective length to the pipe. I hope you allowed for
that when making the flow calculations.

Maybe it's time to buy a tube bender :-)

This seems to be a generic piece of kit
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...8255&ts=73868#

£23 at Toolstation, £29 at Screwfix or £34 at Plumbworld. Same spec &
picture.

Anyone used one? Any opinions?

My opinion is that it is never a good idea for a professional to buy tools
sold on price. They will have been made in the Far East and very rarely as
well engineered as those sold under British, German or Swedish tool
manufacturers' names. Some of those may have been made in the Far East too,
but the inspection would be to European standards. Indian (particularly) and
Chinese steel is also of rather dubious quality.

Like Dave, I have the Record tube bender, which is a nice piece of kit.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 00:01:47 -0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Maybe it's time to buy a tube bender :-)

Certainly, that many joints will look an right bodge IMHO. Not to mention
the flow restriction (again)...

Take a read back on thread(s) in here on pipe benders. The cheapo ones
don't come out very well. The branded ones much better I recently bought
the Hilmor GLM from Screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=63880

I do find it quite heavy and when bending 22mm quite an effort (yes I
have lubricated the rollers and pivots). 15mm is easy. Getting a sequence
of bends in exactly the right place and direction can be "interesting".
There is a very good guide on how to use a bender on the web somewhere.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
nightjar nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote:
My opinion is that it is never a good idea for a professional to buy
tools sold on price. They will have been made in the Far East and very
rarely as well engineered as those sold under British, German or
Swedish tool manufacturers' names. Some of those may have been made in
the Far East too, but the inspection would be to European standards.
Indian (particularly) and Chinese steel is also of rather dubious
quality.

Like Dave, I have the Record tube bender, which is a nice piece of kit.

A quick Google shows the Record available for about 50 quid.

http://www.tooled-up.com/static/PipeBenders.asp

Other good thing is spares are available for it.

--
*All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
:

Hi All

Very complicated plumbing job today, re routing 15mm copper pipe
around several obstacles - ended up using around 30 solder ring 90
degree fittings.

Maybe it's time to buy a tube bender :-)

I've found pipe bending skills a bit beyond me, in muscle _and_ skill, or
maybe it's Norm next door's bender.

But perhaps 45 deg elbows would help (screwfix 26209-85); and even *I*
don't use solder rings any more, end feed are no harder to fit and _much_
cheaper; ie 15 mm elbows end feed 100 for 14 quid, solder ring 100 for 25
quid.

And my local discount place is a lot cheaper than that

mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Hi All

Very complicated plumbing job today, re routing 15mm copper pipe around
several obstacles - ended up using around 30 solder ring 90 degree
fittings.

Maybe it's time to buy a tube bender :-)

This seems to be a generic piece of kit
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...8255&ts=73868#

£23 at Toolstation, £29 at Screwfix or £34 at Plumbworld. Same spec &
picture.

Anyone used one? Any opinions?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Pipe benders are excellent tools: Much better that stupid springs etc...

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...5fee0e5c98d465

Also, read this ( I have a copy printed off in my pipe-bender box. ):
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/Pi...%20(BillP).pdf

The only thing to watch for is that the radius is much larger than a 90
degree elbow, so you can't make sharp bends round an obstacle.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 2 Feb, 00:01, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
snip
Maybe it's time to buy a tube bender :-)

This seems to be a generic piece of kithttp://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=18255&ts=73868#

£23 at Toolstation, £29 at Screwfix or £34 at Plumbworld. Same spec &
picture.

there's also an own brand (kennedy) which does 12+15+22mm about £38 at

http://www.cromwell.co.uk/KEN5886200K?popup=yes

Anyone used one? Any opinions?

I have the kennedy one & it does a good job for the few times I ned a
pipe bender, though:

-it does tend to pinch the join somewhat

-it is difficult to judge a bend angle exact & reinserting a bend to
adjust is an art in itself

-difficult to judge position for 2 bends in succession. I normally
cop out on this one & use a link solder joint.

IMHE most Cromwell (Kennedy is their own brand) do reasonable job at
a reasonable price. I've never had an outright dud, though possibly
for intensive hard use you might be better with the branded item.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi

The pipe bender is now on special offer on the Plumbworld site, it's
now only £19.98, here's the link:

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/235-16145

Hope this helps

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Very complicated plumbing job today, re routing 15mm copper pipe around
several obstacles - ended up using around 30 solder ring 90 degree fittings.

What where you doing, tying a not? ;-)

Maybe it's time to buy a tube bender :-)

Certainly worth having, but remember these won't bend a tight radius -
so there are still times when only an elbow will do.

This seems to be a generic piece of kit
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...8255&ts=73868#

£23 at Toolstation, £29 at Screwfix or £34 at Plumbworld. Same spec &
picture.

I have the Hilmor GLM one which does make very nice bends with very
little deformation of the pipe... order code 7762 at BES

Anyone used one? Any opinions?

Plastic pipe perhaps?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/ot...ml#pipebending

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 15:10:10 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/ot...ml#pipebending

I think it might be "BillP's Pipe Bending Notes (PDF file)" from that
location, though it doesn't look that familiar when I read it.

BTW the two Copper Board links 404.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"ended up using around 30 solder ring 90 degree fittings"

You do seem to run into problems often,dont you?

That might be because I do this stuff six days a week.

Lets see now...30 elbows at a 85p a piece,thats £25.50 hmmm! I would
have gone and bought the Pipe bender there and then.

Hmmm. That's 25 for £5:99 at Wickes tosspot.

Are you the former 3rd Earl?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"ended up using around 30 solder ring 90 degree fittings"

You do seem to run into problems often,dont you?

That might be because I do this stuff six days a week.

Part timer, you have a day off?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:

A quick Google shows the Record available for about 50 quid.

http://www.tooled-up.com/static/PipeBenders.asp

Other good thing is spares are available for it.

I bought my Record bender in B&Q about 7 years ago.
It was about £40 at the time. Had to check a few
boxes to find one which still had the formers in it
though. As Dave says, a delight to use.

Treat the formers with care though (they are a soft
alloy), and make sure the pipe is reasonably clean
before you bend it. Any grit on the surface can get
embedded in the formers, and damage subsequent bends.

Record was bought by Irwin, and I've heard a few
comments from tradesman that Record tools aren't the
same high quality anymore.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 00:01:47 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Hi All

Very complicated plumbing job today, re routing 15mm copper pipe around
several obstacles - ended up using around 30 solder ring 90 degree fittings.

Maybe it's time to buy a tube bender :-)

This seems to be a generic piece of kit
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...8255&ts=73868#

£23 at Toolstation, £29 at Screwfix or £34 at Plumbworld. Same spec &
picture.

Anyone used one? Any opinions?

Yup. Couldn't get a non-corrugated bend out of it and ended up sending it
back and bought a decent one. Some tools aren't all the same and pipe
benders seem to be one such. I think my good one is a Hilmor - it's
yellow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Feb, 06:52, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com
wrote:
Indian (particularly) and Chinese steel is also of rather dubious quality.

Colin Bignell

Perhaps that's why they wanted to buy Corus?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

Very complicated plumbing job today, re routing 15mm copper pipe around
several obstacles - ended up using around 30 solder ring 90 degree
fittings.

You've added around 15m effective length to the pipe. I hope you allowed for
that when making the flow calculations.

You are assuming they were all in one pipe ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ PJ is offline

Owain wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote

"ended up using around 30 solder ring 90 degree fittings"

... I do this stuff six days a week.

Part timer, you have a day off?

This is proof that God wasn't self-employed. If he were, he wouldn't
have wasted the seventh day in rest and smug contemplation; he'd have
washed the van, written up the books, and ironed his overalls before
falling asleep with a can in front of the telly during Antiques Roadshow.

Owain

Well I not sure who employed hm since no one else was around.
But he did well for those six days. Just shows what you can get done
without ODPM and HSE regulations.
;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi All

Very complicated plumbing job today, re routing 15mm copper pipe
around several obstacles - ended up using around 30 solder ring 90
degree fittings.

I hope you've done your head loss calcs!!!!!!
Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
:

Hi All

Very complicated plumbing job today, re routing 15mm copper pipe
around several obstacles - ended up using around 30 solder ring 90
degree fittings.

Maybe it's time to buy a tube bender :-)

I've found pipe bending skills a bit beyond me, in muscle _and_ skill, or
maybe it's Norm next door's bender.

But perhaps 45 deg elbows would help (screwfix 26209-85); and even *I*
don't use solder rings any more, end feed are no harder to fit and _much_
cheaper; ie 15 mm elbows end feed 100 for 14 quid, solder ring 100 for 25
quid.

Sounds like a very appropriate job for using plastic pipes actually - or
is there some reason not to?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
-difficult to judge position for 2 bends in succession. I normally
cop out on this one & use a link solder joint.

I made up some sample pieces in pipe offcuts, which help with that. I put a
reference mark on the bender and lined that up with marks on the pipes, to
make a U shape and an S shape. I scratched the marks in, so they wouldn't
wear off, although obviously on a working pipe I use a fibre tip pen. Now I
can just offer the sample piece up, compare that to what I want and adjust
the distance between the marks I put on the pipe I want to bend.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

Very complicated plumbing job today, re routing 15mm copper pipe around
several obstacles - ended up using around 30 solder ring 90 degree
fittings.

You've added around 15m effective length to the pipe. I hope you allowed
for that when making the flow calculations.

You are assuming they were all in one pipe ;-)

That was how I read it, although, on reflection, it could have been two or
more.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote in
:

Hi All

Very complicated plumbing job today, re routing 15mm copper pipe
around several obstacles - ended up using around 30 solder ring 90
degree fittings.

Maybe it's time to buy a tube bender :-)

I've found pipe bending skills a bit beyond me, in muscle _and_
skill, or maybe it's Norm next door's bender.

But perhaps 45 deg elbows would help (screwfix 26209-85); and even
*I* don't use solder rings any more, end feed are no harder to fit
and _much_ cheaper; ie 15 mm elbows end feed 100 for 14 quid, solder
ring 100 for 25 quid.

Sounds like a very appropriate job for using plastic pipes actually -
or is there some reason not to?

If that reply was intended for me, and not MH, I've never used them; I
trust copper prolly only because I'm used to it and it's never let me down.

But I've got some runs 9n the loft that _would_ have been a lot easier
with plastic, but it was pretty new when I put them in, and I like to let
others learn from experience ;-)

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"ended up using around 30 solder ring 90 degree fittings"

You do seem to run into problems often,dont you?

That might be because I do this stuff six days a week.

Part timer, you have a day off?

Groan. Tell me about it.............

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

Very complicated plumbing job today, re routing 15mm copper pipe
around several obstacles - ended up using around 30 solder ring 90
degree fittings.

You've added around 15m effective length to the pipe. I hope you
allowed for that when making the flow calculations.

You are assuming they were all in one pipe ;-)

That was how I read it, although, on reflection, it could have been
two or more.

They were on 5 pipes, 2 of which will be boxed in and 2 of which are under a
floor.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
Lobster wrote in
:

But I've got some runs 9n the loft that _would_ have been a lot easier
with plastic, but it was pretty new when I put them in, and I like to let
others learn from experience ;-)

Mm. Bit like Micro$oft Vista, eh? ;-)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote in
:

But I've got some runs 9n the loft that _would_ have been a lot
easier with plastic, but it was pretty new when I put them in, and I
like to let others learn from experience ;-)

Mm. Bit like Micro$oft Vista, eh? ;-)

Yup, I've given up all hope of cracking linux in my lifetime (after several
tears trying, and I can cope with DOS, so Gawd help _real_ innocents who
try it!).

But me 98SE which I love dearly, is beginning to run out of up to date
software, so I'll have to move on - prolly to ME or 2K, if I can work out
which one is better; I mist confess I'm a bit scared of moving away from a
DOS based system, you can solve a _lot_ of probs in DOS.

But I think I'll give Vista a swerve FTTB.

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:

But me 98SE which I love dearly, is beginning to run out of up to date
software, so I'll have to move on - prolly to ME or 2K, if I can work out
which one is better;

No contest - ME is just 98 with stuff taken out and a makeover to the UI
(in reality it ought to have been 98 third edition or "service pack 3"
in current MS speak) - from the point of view of support or
compatibility with modern software it is hardly any better than 98.
Win2K is based on the MT core and hence far more "with it" from a modern
software point of view.

When I switched from 98 to Win2k I preserved a dual boot environment so
that I had a fallback way to do the things I expected to have difficulty
doing under win2k. In reality I found I never needed it. The only
casualty of the upgrade was there was no driver support for my then
current scanner (unless I wanted to pay silverfast more than the cost of
a whole new scanner that is)

I mist confess I'm a bit scared of moving away from a
DOS based system, you can solve a _lot_ of probs in DOS.

If you can accept that you need 512MB minimum rather than 256MB, then
WinXP is probably a better Win2k now than Win2K itself. You can turn off
much of the visual fluff and end up something that looks and feels like
2k, but with better support, and security. Also better compatibility
with older games etc.

But I think I'll give Vista a swerve FTTB.

Wise for now ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote in
:

I mist confess I'm a bit scared of moving away from a
DOS based system, you can solve a _lot_ of probs in DOS.

If you can accept that you need 512MB minimum rather than 256MB, then
WinXP is probably a better Win2k now than Win2K itself. You can turn
off much of the visual fluff and end up something that looks and feels
like 2k, but with better support, and security. Also better
compatibility with older games etc.

That's interesting; I've been put off XP because my understanding is you're
stuck with what Bill gives you.

I also might try XPlite, as 98lite has been such a good modification to
98SE.

(Wow, I've just looked at a couple of sellers sites, and there's dizens of
different versions. Also some seem to require existing wndows
installations, but I'd prefer to do a clean install on a newly formatted
disc - any comments?).

Anyhow, I'll look at it again with XP in mind

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:

I mist confess I'm a bit scared of moving away from a
DOS based system, you can solve a _lot_ of probs in DOS.

If you can accept that you need 512MB minimum rather than 256MB, then
WinXP is probably a better Win2k now than Win2K itself. You can turn
off much of the visual fluff and end up something that looks and feels
like 2k, but with better support, and security. Also better
compatibility with older games etc.

That's interesting; I've been put off XP because my understanding is you're
stuck with what Bill gives you.

The difference between ME and 2K is vast compared to the difference
between 2K and XP IYSWIM. You can tweak both Win2K and XP a fair bit.
Much depends on what things you want / don't want from them.

installations, but I'd prefer to do a clean install on a newly formatted
disc - any comments?).

After a couple of months use it probably does not make much difference.
I have two xp systems, one has evolved from an original Win2K system
that itself inherited some stuff going right back to win95. The other
was a clean install of XP MCE. In use there is no real feeling of one
being that much more crufty than the other,

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote in
:

installations, but I'd prefer to do a clean install on a newly
formatted disc - any comments?).

After a couple of months use it probably does not make much
difference. I have two xp systems, one has evolved from an original
Win2K system that itself inherited some stuff going right back to
win95. The other was a clean install of XP MCE. In use there is no
real feeling of one being that much more crufty than the other,

Thanks for the info, John, but what does it mean in terms of which of the
many XP versions you buy - if I buy one that updates 98 surely it wouldn't
work if wanted to scrub out the whole computer and stsrt again, as I do
with 98 from time to time. It's usually because I've sodded it up, but it's
nice to start again with a clean install and clear out the garbage that
collects.

I've not found googling helpful, loads of info, but not what I want
to know .... twas ever thus sigh
(reminiscent of linux adventures, too) :-((

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
John Rumm wrote in
:

installations, but I'd prefer to do a clean install on a newly
formatted disc - any comments?).

After a couple of months use it probably does not make much
difference. I have two xp systems, one has evolved from an original
Win2K system that itself inherited some stuff going right back to
win95. The other was a clean install of XP MCE. In use there is no
real feeling of one being that much more crufty than the other,

Thanks for the info, John, but what does it mean in terms of which of the
many XP versions you buy - if I buy one that updates 98 surely it wouldn't
work if wanted to scrub out the whole computer and stsrt again, as I do
with 98 from time to time. It's usually because I've sodded it up, but it's
nice to start again with a clean install and clear out the garbage that
collects.

If you buy the "upgrade" version at retail then you can either use it to
upgrade an installed OS (and hence inherit its apps and settings), or
you can use it to do a clean install. If you go for a clean install
then it will prompt you to insert a win98 CD or similar during the
install process to verify you have the right to upgrade.

(IIUC you can do both types of install with any of the retail
versions[1], but not the OEM ones)

[1] Student / teacher is probably the cheapest if you meet the (lax)
requirements.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote in
:

If you buy the "upgrade" version at retail then you can either use it
to upgrade an installed OS (and hence inherit its apps and settings),
or you can use it to do a clean install. If you go for a clean
install then it will prompt you to insert a win98 CD or similar during
the install process to verify you have the right to upgrade.

[1] Student / teacher is probably the cheapest if you meet the (lax)
requirements.

Thanks, John, that's very helpful

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote in
:

John Rumm wrote in
:

If you buy the "upgrade" version at retail then you can either use it
to upgrade an installed OS (and hence inherit its apps and settings),
or you can use it to do a clean install. If you go for a clean
install then it will prompt you to insert a win98 CD or similar during
the install process to verify you have the right to upgrade.

Thanks for your help, John.

I got the XP upgrade and installed it this morning. An absolute doddle,
went like clockwork, the only problem was my Avast antivirus that thought
it was still on 98 and sodded up the new installation.

A complete clearout and reinstall fixed that.

It instantly found my modem/router that I've been trying to fire up for a
month, cued my inputs, and connected me to the broadband world. It all
happened so fast I didn't believe it till I'd tried a few sites!

So so far I'm well impressed

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:

Thanks for your help, John.

no problem ;-)

I got the XP upgrade and installed it this morning. An absolute doddle,
went like clockwork, the only problem was my Avast antivirus that thought
it was still on 98 and sodded up the new installation.

A complete clearout and reinstall fixed that.

It instantly found my modem/router that I've been trying to fire up for a
month, cued my inputs, and connected me to the broadband world. It all
happened so fast I didn't believe it till I'd tried a few sites!

So so far I'm well impressed

Aside from the colossal amount of RAM it seems to need, it is a
reasonably solid platform now. Certainly better than any of the 9x
range... Sounds like all your hardware was recognised as well, which is
another problem avoided.

--
Cheers,

John.

Radiator Benders 51 UK diy 16 November 20th 06 11:45 PM
electric rebar cutter benders marson Home Repair 4 July 16th 06 11:48 PM
recommended pipe benders Apprentice Plumber UK diy 11 December 7th 05 08:34 PM
Which brand for pipe benders please? Kalico UK diy 18 November 24th 05 12:55 PM
Detachable Bench Mount for Benders, Shears, Vises Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 18 September 25th 05 04:59 PM