Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike mike is offline

Default Pipe Benders

John Rumm wrote in
:

I mist confess I'm a bit scared of moving away from a
DOS based system, you can solve a _lot_ of probs in DOS.

If you can accept that you need 512MB minimum rather than 256MB, then
WinXP is probably a better Win2k now than Win2K itself. You can turn
off much of the visual fluff and end up something that looks and feels
like 2k, but with better support, and security. Also better
compatibility with older games etc.

That's interesting; I've been put off XP because my understanding is you're
stuck with what Bill gives you.

I also might try XPlite, as 98lite has been such a good modification to
98SE.

(Wow, I've just looked at a couple of sellers sites, and there's dizens of
different versions. Also some seem to require existing wndows
installations, but I'd prefer to do a clean install on a newly formatted
disc - any comments?).

Anyhow, I'll look at it again with XP in mind

mike