Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kalico

Default Which brand for pipe benders please?

I'm looking at buying a proper set of copper pipe benders instead of
messing with bending springs.

Can anyone reccommend any particular brand, selling near the lower
price end (ie under 50 quid).

I have seen Faithfull for about £35 and Silverline (which are usually
cheapest) are about £25. The Record ones are about £65 so too much to
pay for my occaisional use.

Thanks for any pointers.
Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Googlebot

Kalico wrote:
I'm looking at buying a proper set of copper pipe benders instead of
messing with bending springs.

Can anyone reccommend any particular brand, selling near the lower
price end (ie under 50 quid).

I have seen Faithfull for about £35 and Silverline (which are usually
cheapest) are about £25. The Record ones are about £65 so too much to
pay for my occaisional use.

Thanks for any pointers.
Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

I brought a cheap set and they were crap. I really would spend around
£55 on them or you can get substandard results. Mine continually crushed
the pipe. I sent them back to screwfix and got a refund. The record ones
I now have are excellent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Dawson

"Googlebot" wrote in message
Kalico wrote:
I'm looking at buying a proper set of copper pipe benders instead of
messing with bending springs.

Can anyone reccommend any particular brand, selling near the lower
price end (ie under 50 quid).

I have seen Faithfull for about £35 and Silverline (which are usually
cheapest) are about £25. The Record ones are about £65 so too much to
pay for my occaisional use.

Thanks for any pointers.
Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

I brought a cheap set and they were crap. I really would spend around £55
on them or you can get substandard results. Mine continually crushed the
pipe. I sent them back to screwfix and got a refund. The record ones I now
have are excellent.

Record or Rothenburger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Kalico wrote:
I have seen Faithfull for about £35 and Silverline (which are usually
cheapest) are about £25. The Record ones are about £65 so too much to
pay for my occaisional use.

I'd check out Ebay for a Record one secondhand - it's built to last.
Couple of cheaper ones I've used were basically rubbish.

--
*Never kick a cow pat on a hot day *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vass

"Googlebot" wrote in message
Kalico wrote:

I brought a cheap set and they were crap. I really would spend around £55
on them or you can get substandard results. Mine continually crushed the
pipe. I sent them back to screwfix and got a refund. The record ones I now
have are excellent.

These purport to be Record at £ 49
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=92059
is this not the case? are they crap copies then?
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Googlebot

Vass wrote:
"Googlebot" wrote in message

Kalico wrote:

I brought a cheap set and they were crap. I really would spend around £55
on them or you can get substandard results. Mine continually crushed the
pipe. I sent them back to screwfix and got a refund. The record ones I now
have are excellent.

These purport to be Record at £ 49
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=92059
is this not the case? are they crap copies then?

That is the record one. I can only presume screwfix have changed the
brand. The last one was about £36 IIRC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Kalico wrote:
I'm looking at buying a proper set of copper pipe benders instead of
messing with bending springs.

Can anyone reccommend any particular brand, selling near the lower
price end (ie under 50 quid).

I have seen Faithfull for about £35 and Silverline (which are usually
cheapest) are about £25. The Record ones are about £65 so too much to
pay for my occaisional use.

Thanks for any pointers.
Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

How about the mini tube bender?
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...ools/d10/sd210
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Kalico wrote:
I have seen Faithfull for about £35 and Silverline (which are usually
cheapest) are about £25. The Record ones are about £65 so too much to
pay for my occaisional use.

I'd check out Ebay for a Record one secondhand - it's built to last.

Actually, the formers are (deliberately) soft and easily damaged
by dropping the tool or using them when dirty or with dirty pipe,
which can cause grit to get embedded. That's what I would be very
careful to check with a second-hand one.

Couple of cheaper ones I've used were basically rubbish.

I got my Record one from B&Q around 4 years ago, and it was
about £50 then. No complaints and works very well. Make
sure the box has a pair of straight formers in it -- I had
to go through half the stock before I found a box which did
as most were missing. Occasionally, plumbers merchants have
them on special offer -- I kicked myself for not buying the
Record one at a plumbers merchant 6 months earlier when I
saw it much reduced.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Kalico wrote:

Can anyone reccommend any particular brand, selling near the lower
price end (ie under 50 quid).

Hilmor GLM

See product code 7762 on http://www.bes.ltd.uk

Just about in budget

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On 22 Nov 2005 18:30:07 GMT, andrew@a17 (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Kalico wrote:
I have seen Faithfull for about £35 and Silverline (which are usually
cheapest) are about £25. The Record ones are about £65 so too much to
pay for my occaisional use.

I'd check out Ebay for a Record one secondhand - it's built to last.

Actually, the formers are (deliberately) soft and easily damaged
by dropping the tool or using them when dirty or with dirty pipe,
which can cause grit to get embedded. That's what I would be very
careful to check with a second-hand one.

Just don't ever look up the price of spares for the Record bender,
they make the original purchase seem the bargain of the century!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matt wrote:
On 22 Nov 2005 18:30:07 GMT, andrew@a17 (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Kalico wrote:
I have seen Faithfull for about £35 and Silverline (which are usually
cheapest) are about £25. The Record ones are about £65 so too much to
pay for my occaisional use.

I'd check out Ebay for a Record one secondhand - it's built to last.

Actually, the formers are (deliberately) soft and easily damaged
by dropping the tool or using them when dirty or with dirty pipe,
which can cause grit to get embedded. That's what I would be very
careful to check with a second-hand one.

Just don't ever look up the price of spares for the Record bender,
they make the original purchase seem the bargain of the century!

Bought a Rothenburger on a special offer , about 45 quid 10 years ago,
never hesitate to use it and its still like new.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel andrew@a17 wrote:
I'd check out Ebay for a Record one secondhand - it's built to last.

Actually, the formers are (deliberately) soft and easily damaged
by dropping the tool or using them when dirty or with dirty pipe,
which can cause grit to get embedded. That's what I would be very
careful to check with a second-hand one.

Right. I've found mine to be superb over many years use, but then I tend
to look after tools.
The formers look like ordinary cast alluminimum to me - are you saying
better brands use something stronger?

I've got a Hilmor floor standing conduit bender and that uses a similar
idea for the formers.

--
*To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated, but not be able to say it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kalico

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:52:43 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

Kalico wrote:
I'm looking at buying a proper set of copper pipe benders instead of
messing with bending springs.

Can anyone reccommend any particular brand, selling near the lower
price end (ie under 50 quid).

I have seen Faithfull for about £35 and Silverline (which are usually
cheapest) are about £25. The Record ones are about £65 so too much to
pay for my occaisional use.

Thanks for any pointers.
Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

How about the mini tube bender?
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...ools/d10/sd210

Toolstation have the Record one for £47.57 which seems a good price
but also sell one for £23, which I think is likely to be by
Silverline.

That's a big difference. Is it worth it?

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kalico

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:48:39 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Kalico wrote:

Can anyone reccommend any particular brand, selling near the lower
price end (ie under 50 quid).

Hilmor GLM

See product code 7762 on http://www.bes.ltd.uk

Just about in budget

Never heard of this brand. Are they any good?

Also, anyone got experience of the Faithfull brand?

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Kalico wrote:
John Rumm wrote
Kalico wrote
Can anyone reccommend any particular brand, selling near the lower
price end (ie under 50 quid).

Hilmor GLM

Never heard of this brand. Are they any good?

They've been around for a while, & are well known!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:33:10 +0000, Kalico wrote:

Also, anyone got experience of the Faithfull brand?

Not for pipe benders but their Skarsten scrapers are good. Personally
(despite the horrendous cost of spares!) I'd stick with the Record
ones.

Senior Member

Angry

I bought the cheapo one for £23 from Toolstation and found it bent the pipe okay, but slightly on the skew. No good when you want to put a double bend in a pipe. When released the sodding pipes would fly off in the wrong direction, hence to say ithis bender is now in a safe resting place......

the skip!