Too_Many_Tools

Default Detachable Bench Mount for Benders, Shears, Vises

I have a number of small Diacro benders, Beverly shears, vises, anvils,
etc. that I would like to be able to mount and unmount on a bench
conveniently and quickly.

Has anyone designed a quick attachment mount that work for this type of
application? It would need to be able to resist rotational torque from
a bender, vertical downward pressue from a shear and shock from vises
and anvils.

I welcome any and all suggestions.

TMT

Grant Erwin

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I have a number of small Diacro benders, Beverly shears, vises, anvils,
etc. that I would like to be able to mount and unmount on a bench
conveniently and quickly.

Has anyone designed a quick attachment mount that work for this type of
application? It would need to be able to resist rotational torque from
a bender, vertical downward pressue from a shear and shock from vises
and anvils.

Funny, I'm just getting ready to fabricate something exactly like what you're
talking about. Except mine is floor mounted. I'm going to take 3 pieces of 3½"
square steel tube, 1/4" wall (approx.) and fit 2 pieces together to form a 'T'
which lies on the ground. Partway down the long leg of the 'T' I'm going to
stand up the 3rd piece and weld it on, so it always stands vertical.

Before I weld on that vertical leg, I'm going to drill a cross hole down a bit,
or maybe 2 of 'em. The ends will be nice and square.

This will be the main item, a mounting post. I can then take 5x3/8" flat bar and
make up brackets that fit over the top of the post and through-bolt, and to the
top I'll fix each machine I want to be able to mount. I'll certainly have a
beefy vise, and a small table, and a mount for my arbor press, maybe a mount for
a halogen light, and probably other things as well. It won't strongly resist
rotational forces about a vertical axis, as the base will just skid, but my leg
vise is mounted like this and I've bent some pretty hefty stuff with it, just
have to put your foot down to keep it from skidding much. No casters, just slide
it around.

I doubt I'd put an anvil up there, though. No need, my anvil sits right by
there. This thing is going to be an auxiliary to my welding table.

That's my suggestion. Worth at least what you paid for it! :-)

GWE
Too_Many_Tools

Thanks for the response Grant. Your input is always welcome. ;)

I would love to see pictures of your setup when you have something
assembled.

Upon reading your description, you just reminded me that I have an
arbor press that will be using the mount also. Geez..so many tools, so
little time. ;)

I am planning on making a number of these mounts. Several will be
mounted on benches and at one other will be mounted on a pedestal in
the center of the shop for jobs where one needs to be able to access
the work from all directions.

I haven't been thinking about this long but two options come to mind.

One is the tube within a tube approach...much like a trailer hitch.

The second would be a dovetail arrangement where one part would be
fitted to the bench and the other part would be mounted on the bottom
of the tool. One could make a piece minus a tool but with a section of
bench to fit the bench mount so the bench would remain flush and flat.

The part I haven't really thought about is that I want no slop in the
mount. This means that you would attach the mount and then "do
something" to make the assembled mount solid. An arrangement like a
quick release lathe holder comes to mind.

Has anyone come up with a way to secure a quick mount base firmly but
still be able to remove it quickly?

TMT

daniel peterman

How about a magnetic chuck? Set your tool up there and throw the lever.
18x6 inch one on craigslist San Diego right now pretty cheap. I used to
use one to hold small cans of paint on a drill press table. Mount a
paint mixer in the drill chuck, set can under it, turn on drill, walk
away for 5 minutes. Paint is mixed, can didn't move and I got something
else done in meantime.

Martin H. Eastburn

Bench mount a 4" tubing with a sliding fit tubing with the tool mounted.
The bench might be rotational - e.g the end soft fixed, the edge side rotates
and attaches in 45? or only 90. The center pulls out to the needed distance
and locks down - maybe just a bolt.

I first saw this in a back of a service truck. A panel with internal part boxes.
In the floor on one side was the large tubing - and a vice mounted - pushed in.

The owner said he could pull out the vise and lock it tight - saw,grind or file as needed.
slide it back and close the doors. Bumper mount didn't give him the room needed.
Just think - a long pipe mounted with the vise rotated in its base down the bed and up the street.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I have a number of small Diacro benders, Beverly shears, vises, anvils,
etc. that I would like to be able to mount and unmount on a bench
conveniently and quickly.

Has anyone designed a quick attachment mount that work for this type of
application? It would need to be able to resist rotational torque from
a bender, vertical downward pressue from a shear and shock from vises
and anvils.

I welcome any and all suggestions.

TMT

Take a look at some camera tripods with quick release mounts. The one
that I am thinking of is a cross between a dovetail and a double hung
window lock.

Dan

Too_Many_Tools

Good idea with the mag chuck...

Ever forget to turn the chuck on before the drill? ;)

TMT

Artemia Salina

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:29:31 -0700, wrote:

Take a look at some camera tripods with quick release mounts. The one
that I am thinking of is a cross between a dovetail and a double hung
window lock.

I was thinking of something like this:
http://pages.cthome.net/fcf/clamp.gif

Kinda tough to machine without a tilting rotary table, though.

"A" is a bracket that attaches to each machine.
It has four pins on its underside that drop through
holes in "B", and into the slots of "C".

"B" is attached to "D" with countersunk machine screws,
trapping "C" between them. "C" can rotate by means of its
(potentially removable) handle.

"D" is attached to the bench with countersunk machine screws
and nuts.

"B", "C", and "D" remain on the bench as a unit. Tools are
mounted by pushing the locking handle and dropping the
tool with its "A" bracket into the bench unit. The handle is
pulled to lock the tool into place.

"C" is by far the hardest part to make, as it needs not only
the radiused slots, but the slots also need to be sloped to
provide a pull-down clamping action. It should also be case
hardened to prevent wear.

P.S. I quickly drew this sketch because it was easier than
explaining the idea in writing alone. It is sloppy and just
presents the basic idea. The pins descending from "A", for
example, shouldn't really have tapered heads. I was thinking
"slope" when I drew them.

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article .com,
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote:

I have a number of small Diacro benders, Beverly shears, vises, anvils,
etc. that I would like to be able to mount and unmount on a bench
conveniently and quickly.

Has anyone designed a quick attachment mount that work for this type of
application? It would need to be able to resist rotational torque from
a bender, vertical downward pressue from a shear and shock from vises
and anvils.

I welcome any and all suggestions.

TMT

Buy a short piece of "receiver" tube at a steel yard.
It is 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" x 1/4" wall square tube with no internal seam.

It is normally used for trailer hitch mounts in bumpers, but if you can
weld a plate onto a length of it and bolt that to your bench, you can
simply make up base plates for your tools with a short length of 2" x 2"
square tube welded to the bottom.

--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams
Bob Engelhardt

Artemia Salina wrote:
I was thinking of something like this:
http://pages.cthome.net/fcf/clamp.gif ...

Nice idea. Here's a simplification: delete "B" & "D"; mount "C" to the
bench, without the handle & inlaid to keep benchtop smooth. To use:
drop "A" in "C" and turn. Bob

Bob Engelhardt

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Here's a simplification: ...

Here's another one: put the slopes on "A"'s pins and leave "C"'s slots
flat. Should be easier to machine. No way I can draw it in ASCII!! Bob
Too_Many_Tools

Excellent idea...thanks.

Artemia Salina

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:10:25 -0400, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Artemia Salina wrote:
I was thinking of something like this:
http://pages.cthome.net/fcf/clamp.gif ...

Nice idea. Here's a simplification: delete "B" & "D"; mount "C" to the
bench, without the handle & inlaid to keep benchtop smooth. To use:
drop "A" in "C" and turn. Bob

Trouble is it wouldn't resist rotational force, as in a tubing bender:
http://www.medfordtools.com/mb3.html

I like your other simplification though, with the slopes milled into
the pins in "A". It's getting remarkably close to a D1 cam-lock spindle
in design (which is what I based the idea on to begin with).
http://www.lathes.co.uk/latheparts/page9.html (bottom of page)

Makes me wonder if it'd be cost effective to use an old trashed
D1 cam-lock spindle nose mounted to the bench, and cam-lock backing
plates mounted to the tools.

Mike Henry

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a number of small Diacro benders, Beverly shears, vises, anvils,
etc. that I would like to be able to mount and unmount on a bench
conveniently and quickly.

Has anyone designed a quick attachment mount that work for this type of
application? It would need to be able to resist rotational torque from
a bender, vertical downward pressue from a shear and shock from vises
and anvils.

I welcome any and all suggestions.

I've found that a C-clamp works well for holding a 9" Diacro shear to an
island on one of my work benches. Another approach that night work would be
to bolt a sub-plate to the bench and drill/tap holes for mounting bolts to
it for the various machines you have. Kinda makes that space unusable for
anything else, though.

Mike

Too_Many_Tools

I know what you mean about dedicating a bench makes it unavailable for
anything else.

I will likely mount the mounting plate in a recess on the bench and
then have a piece of bench top that will fit in the mounting plate when
the tools are not being used so I will have a flush surface to work on.

Considering that I have a number of smaller tools that would work well
with a quick mount attachment, I consider this approach will save on
the bench space normally used.

TMT

DanG

If you have a really heavy workbench, you might install a
woodworker's vise. These remain flush with the top of the
workbench. Design a base plate for each tool with a keel that can
be clamped in the wood vise.

I helped a friend install a female drill collar flush in the floor
with plenty of concrete and rebar. He made his tool bases of old
worn out male drill stem. Pretty decent system, but those bases
almost needed a hoist of some type to move around depending on how
heavy the tools were. He is quite a bull and young/dumb enough to
do them bare handed.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a number of small Diacro benders, Beverly shears, vises,
anvils,
etc. that I would like to be able to mount and unmount on a
bench
conveniently and quickly.

Has anyone designed a quick attachment mount that work for this
type of
application? It would need to be able to resist rotational
torque from
a bender, vertical downward pressue from a shear and shock from
vises
and anvils.

I welcome any and all suggestions.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools

One of the designs I have implement a woodworkers vise with the
approach you mention. I did add pins in front and in back of the tool
mount so the overall mount would be resistant to torsion and vertical
pressures. The tool mounts would be easy to build as they would be more
of a fabrication exercise than a machining effort.

The socket in the floor approach...that is something I wish I had done
when I poured my shop floor. I still may build such a system to be used
just outside the main entrance of the shop. When I get some time in the
future, I also may cut a hole in the floor and implement this
approach...very handy from what I have seen. So many projects...so
little time.

TMT

I C-clamp shears and benders to a 5' length of wide-flange steel beam.
I originally planned to make folding legs for it but it's easier to
just set it on the tailgate of my pickup and tie the end to the crane's
base post.

The crane boom works pretty well as a bender mount too. It is close to
eye level so I don't have to stoop down to align the pencil mark or
check squareness.

An anvil needs a heavier based than this. Mine is spiked to an oak log
cut long enough to put the anvil's face at knuckle height.

I tried mounting a heavy vise on a receiver hitch but it needs a
support underneath whose length changes with the load in the truck. A
blacksmith's leg vise attached to a light table actually works better.

jw

B.B.

In article .com,
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote:

[...]

Has anyone come up with a way to secure a quick mount base firmly but
still be able to remove it quickly?

Square tube in a tube, with one side of the outer tube flared out a
bit to make room for a wedge. Have a long hand-operated lever with a
short crank to shove the wedge in. Set in your tool, crank down on the
handle. Pull the handle back, and remove the tool. Maybe stick a heavy
spring on the wedge's crank so you can push the handle over center and
lock it down.

movies.crooksandliars.com/Countdown-Timeline-Katrina.mov